blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:53:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  2012
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012  (Read 21986 times)
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2008, 03:25:56 AM »

What is evident is that in the last millennium the human race has evolved quicker than ever and it took WW1 to start that.  With all the human evolving intelligence has also brought more evil into the world, therefore, the predictions of 2012 could very well come true!

On a personal note, I am considered being a bit scatty at times so you can scoff at me as much as you like, I am used to it!

Scoff : The human race has not evolved a significant amount during the last 100 years. Evolution is a process of random mutation and natural selection that takes millions of years to take effect.

We have advanced our technology, and are perhaps more enlightened as a result. However, on a base level, behind a veil of ignorance, I don't believe we're significantly more intelligent than those who went before us.

The human brain has evolved significantly in the past 100 years though surely?..have 10,000 years of nothing but bows, arrows, candles and huge catapults but since electricity and shit look how far with come in the past 100 years in comparison to virtually fuck all happening in the thousands of years previously.

Imagine the human brain as a line of sharkscope and for thouands or years were grinding a slow profit at $5sng's then we win a £5kHU match, that HU match is the last hundred years.

Unless of course folk were just lazy and didnt want a technological revolution because they were having too much fun sleeping with their cousins whilst drinking gin and stoning 8 year olds to death for doing algebra!

I highly doubt that the human brain has evolved a lot in 100 years, firstly because 100 years is such a small space of time that it seems unlikely that within 2 gernerations, were gonna see massive evolutionary advances in the phsyical form.

There is never going to be a linear advancement of learning/technology, and your evidence of evidence is merely a reaction to any advances made in the non-cranial spheres.

As for the rest of the thread, I find it amusing that  people get attached to drunks from many centuries ago being able to predict the future. One of two things will happen:

a) our esteemed future-predicter is right, and we will all die in 2012
b) he is wrong, and we wont

if a is the case, then there is no point worrying about it, and if b is the case, then there is no point worrying about it.

bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2008, 03:40:17 AM »

What is evident is that in the last millennium the human race has evolved quicker than ever and it took WW1 to start that.  With all the human evolving intelligence has also brought more evil into the world, therefore, the predictions of 2012 could very well come true!

On a personal note, I am considered being a bit scatty at times so you can scoff at me as much as you like, I am used to it!

Scoff : The human race has not evolved a significant amount during the last 100 years. Evolution is a process of random mutation and natural selection that takes millions of years to take effect.

We have advanced our technology, and are perhaps more enlightened as a result. However, on a base level, behind a veil of ignorance, I don't believe we're significantly more intelligent than those who went before us.

The human brain has evolved significantly in the past 100 years though surely?..have 10,000 years of nothing but bows, arrows, candles and huge catapults but since electricity and shit look how far with come in the past 100 years in comparison to virtually fuck all happening in the thousands of years previously.

Imagine the human brain as a line of sharkscope and for thouands or years were grinding a slow profit at $5sng's then we win a £5kHU match, that HU match is the last hundred years.

Unless of course folk were just lazy and didnt want a technological revolution because they were having too much fun sleeping with their cousins whilst drinking gin and stoning 8 year olds to death for doing algebra!

I highly doubt that the human brain has evolved a lot in 100 years, firstly because 100 years is such a small space of time that it seems unlikely that within 2 gernerations, were gonna see massive evolutionary advances in the phsyical form.

There is never going to be a linear advancement of learning/technology, and your evidence of evidence is merely a reaction to any advances made in the non-cranial spheres.

As for the rest of the thread, I find it amusing that  people get attached to drunks from many centuries ago being able to predict the future. One of two things will happen:

a) our esteemed future-predicter is right, and we will all die in 2012
b) he is wrong, and we wont

if a is the case, then there is no point worrying about it, and if b is the case, then there is no point worrying about it.

he was an opium addict as well.

But the way i see it, instead of sitting around the royal court playing the violin 300 years ago surley someone shouldve said: "this is boring, let's invent a ps2 and play some FIFA"

I personally wouldnt have given a fuck and gone for the gin binge but i find it difficult to believe that for 10,000 years fuck all any good was invented then in the past 100 years we've had all the best stuff like: electric toothbrush, the playboy channel, eyebrow trimmers, silly putty and teenage mutant ninja turtles.

That stuff is so great if they had big enough brains to come out with it at any point in history they wouldve kicked their cousin out of bed and knocked up some blueprints for a talking cabbage patch kid instead of wasting their time writing short stories about paradoxical dilemma's all fucking day!!!
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2008, 03:50:53 AM »

if he was also an opium addict, that makes him even more of an erstwhile.

just because times havent changed in a reognisable way to you, doesn't mean that times hadn't changed.. I mean, car engines/medical advances, they did a lot of that research a long time before 100 yrs ago... and its also the case that facilitations of one thing can facilitate advancements in other areas. That doesn't mean that some genres were more intelligent than others, it just most likely means that some genres were luckier than others.

bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2008, 04:12:00 AM »

Yeah was an apothecary by trade before he started doing his psychic thing so he had all the good drugs in the case he used to bowl around with.

this should seal the deal.......... you cant tell me that if at anytime in history they had come up with the idea of electronic pocket organisers(popular in the early-mid 90s and pretty much the greatest thing ever) they wouldnt have made it happen? Seen as how that invention is so awesome and if anyone came up with the idea of it they couldn't have stopped themselves making one it seems to me the idea never came up, now i understand that back in them days folk were a bit preoccupied with throwing shit out of the window and plague and stuff but them organisers have feature like you put in a time and what you're gonna be doing and it flashes up in advanced so you dont forget!!!!

i dont care what was going on, you come up with the idea to make something thats got a clock, calculator and personal planner in you're gonna get it done!!!

From which i surmise they never had the idea in the first place because untill 100 years ago we had tiny brains and bad teeth but it didnt mater cos we were all too busy having inter family relations and beating up french people.

now im not taking away ones right to get drunk beat up the french and sleep with their aunt if thats what they want to do but i had a toshiba personal organiser with multi features and i dont mind saying it was pretty fucking great!!!

Is it me or do a lot of our conversations revolve around Nostradamus?
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2008, 04:21:50 AM »

now i understand that back in them days folk were a bit preoccupied with throwing shit out of the window and plague and stuff but them organisers have feature like you put in a time and what you're gonna be doing and it flashes up in advanced so you dont forget!!!!

100% fact that these inventions just give people a reason to feel a sense of self importance that they aren't entitled to!  Stuff like this isn't advancement,  if someone cant be arsed to wake up for important things, then it means that those things aren't really that important to this person. What this technology does is allow people to lie about their slef importance and allow them to lie about what is/isnt important to them.

but it didnt mater cos we were all too busy having inter family relations and beating up french people.

isn't this the meaning of life?

trafficjam

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2008, 11:52:42 AM »

Indeed, it IS Mrs Jam, my sincere apologies & grovelness.

Just been ticked off by her Daughter, via PM, sigh.

Sorry MRS Jam!

Apologies accepted Tikay, I go under many aliases.  Just think when the aliens come and whip you up in their flying saucers they might let you see their flight mechanisms; you may find it as interesting as train engines! 

I must refrain from falling in love with my hole cards!
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2008, 12:58:03 PM »

Sorry MRS Jam!

Apologies accepted Tikay, I go under many aliases.  Just think when the aliens come and whip you up in their flying saucers they might let you see their flight mechanisms; you may find it as interesting as train engines! 

You sure do. I thought your alias was "tank" or similar, no?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2008, 01:30:26 PM »

Sorry MRS Jam!

You sure do. I thought your alias was "tank" or similar, no?

Tank is Michelle's mum?  Now my head really does hurt.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
PocketLady
Northampton Nuts

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2008, 01:42:28 PM »

Many people love fatalistic premonitions.  Life (and the existence of the universe) is beyond their understanding that there must be something mystical and supernatural causing events, because it is beyond their personal incredulity that everything in the universe has just 'happened' - it must have a designer and an ultimate goal.  Without this goal, they feel as though they are worthless and insignificant.  It is actually very egocentric view to think that life, the earth and the universe is here for humankind's benefit.  We're not that important - we're just clever apes with technology.  Nothing more, nothing less.

In fact I think quite the opposite.  I believe in science and I'm not actually suggesting anything "supernatural" here.  Ok, although I find the Nostradamus prophecies very interesting, I've said before that I don't think we should all blindly believe in them.  But having said that, in the same way that I won't believe in a God until it's proved to me, I'm not going to rule out Nostradamus and prophecies as impossible.  We only use something like 10% of our brain so who's to say what's possible when we use more.  

For all the people who keep going on about the literal end of the world and the world is 45 billion years old or whatever, that's not what I'm talking about.  I've been throwing a lot of ideas around but they don't all mean the literally "the world is going to cease to exist".  They just mean the world might change a lot.

I believe that everything in the universe just "happened" and we are only a very small part of it.  What I am suggesting is about as far from egocentric as you can get.  I'm saying that because humans are a relatively new thing in the history of the universe that maybe we don't actually know everything there is to know about our world or indeed the universe.  I mean going back a few hundred thousand years and our continents aren't even where they are today.  Although it seems enough people on here think me to be a lunatic already, I also believe in life elsewhere in the universe.  That's not to say I believe in alien abuctions and ufo sightings and government cover ups etc.  I just think it's incredibly unlikely that of all the endless planets in the universe, Earth is the only one to have produced life.  It's just arrogance to think we are the only ones.  That is pretty much the only solid belief I have with regards to us, the universe, and everything.   I feel like I must say again for the 100th time that I DO NOT outright believe any of the things I've suggested on this thread.  I thought I had made it clear that I'm just discussing possibilities, and wanting people's opinions which is what I've got, but I haven't suddenly turned into some kind of crazed lunatic.  Throughout history the unlikely has become reality.  Not all of it, but some of it.  I like talking and thinking about possibilities and what the future might hold for us all.  Sorry that you guys don't.

Nostradamus may have been wrong about the future but at least he actually thought about it.

bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2008, 01:59:43 PM »

Many people love fatalistic premonitions.  Life (and the existence of the universe) is beyond their understanding that there must be something mystical and supernatural causing events, because it is beyond their personal incredulity that everything in the universe has just 'happened' - it must have a designer and an ultimate goal.  Without this goal, they feel as though they are worthless and insignificant.  It is actually very egocentric view to think that life, the earth and the universe is here for humankind's benefit.  We're not that important - we're just clever apes with technology.  Nothing more, nothing less.

In fact I think quite the opposite.  I believe in science and I'm not actually suggesting anything "supernatural" here.  Ok, although I find the Nostradamus prophecies very interesting, I've said before that I don't think we should all blindly believe in them.  But having said that, in the same way that I won't believe in a God until it's proved to me, I'm not going to rule out Nostradamus and prophecies as impossible.  We only use something like 10% of our brain so who's to say what's possible when we use more.  

For all the people who keep going on about the literal end of the world and the world is 45 billion years old or whatever, that's not what I'm talking about.  I've been throwing a lot of ideas around but they don't all mean the literally "the world is going to cease to exist".  They just mean the world might change a lot.

I believe that everything in the universe just "happened" and we are only a very small part of it.  What I am suggesting is about as far from egocentric as you can get.  I'm saying that because humans are a relatively new thing in the history of the universe that maybe we don't actually know everything there is to know about our world or indeed the universe.  I mean going back a few hundred thousand years and our continents aren't even where they are today.  Although it seems enough people on here think me to be a lunatic already, I also believe in life elsewhere in the universe.  That's not to say I believe in alien abuctions and ufo sightings and government cover ups etc.  I just think it's incredibly unlikely that of all the endless planets in the universe, Earth is the only one to have produced life.  It's just arrogance to think we are the only ones.  That is pretty much the only solid belief I have with regards to us, the universe, and everything.   I feel like I must say again for the 100th time that I DO NOT outright believe any of the things I've suggested on this thread.  I thought I had made it clear that I'm just discussing possibilities, and wanting people's opinions which is what I've got, but I haven't suddenly turned into some kind of crazed lunatic.  Throughout history the unlikely has become reality.  Not all of it, but some of it.  I like talking and thinking about possibilities and what the future might hold for us all.  Sorry that you guys don't.

Nostradamus may have been wrong about the future but at least he actually thought about it.

wtf does that mean? because we dont agree with you we obviously dont have the capacity to think about the future the same way as a alcohilic junkie did?

It's the loosest use of the word "interesting" ive heard in a long time.

It was really quite simple what he did so much so fortune tellers and palm readers looked down on him as a charleton, his concepts are the epitome of what interesting isnt!

the year 356 AD, a king dies, he looks at the planets works out when theyll be in that order again and says something ridiculously vague like: "a leader will die", thats it, wtf is so great about that, it's a joke! it probably wasnt meant to be taken seriously but low and behold in a world with hundreds/thousands of kings, leaders and rulers it stands to reason(in fact it's probs big odds on) that one of them is gonna kick the bucket on that day seen as how theres only 365 days in the year and then because people didnt have much better to do them they stood around saying: "ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh he was right"

I'd rather believe in paul daniels.

I do like how you say it's arrogant to think we're not the only ones in the universe then go on about how you we know fuck all because we dont want to discuss the future like Nostradamus did.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2008, 02:14:13 PM »

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
PocketLady
Northampton Nuts

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2008, 02:25:11 PM »

How many more times do I have to say just forget Nostradamus, because no matter what happens it can never be proved, true or not.  I've been talking about all sorts of theories, some scientific some not.  Stop getting hung up on the one that is the most difficult to believe, especially once I have said yes, ok, they might not be at all reliable.  I didn't realise until a few days ago how close minded poker players are.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 02:26:52 PM by PocketLady » Logged

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2008, 02:28:01 PM »

But you keep bringing him up.

See:

How many more times do I have to say ... Nostradamus,...

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2008, 02:42:28 PM »

How many more times do I have to say just forget Nostradamus, because no matter what happens it can never be proved, true or not.  I've been talking about all sorts of theories, some scientific some not.  Stop getting hung up on the one that is the most difficult to believe, especially once I have said yes, ok, they might not be at all reliable.  I didn't realise until a few days ago how close minded poker players are.

because no matter what happens it can never be proved or not

eeeerrrrrrrmmm, NO!!!! you either belive that events in the future ar preordained and thus people can predict it so, or you believe in free will and think of things such as crystal balls, tarot cards and anything to do with predicting the future as being what is is, absoloute bollox!

how many times do i have to say just forget about nostradamus

You mention him 8 fucking times in your last post!!!!!!!!!

i didnt realise untill a few days ago how close minded poker players are

first sensible thing you've come out with in 7 pages.
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2008, 02:56:21 PM »

because no matter what happens it can never be proved or not

eeeerrrrrrrmmm, NO!!!! you either belive that events in the future ar preordained and thus people can predict it so, or you believe in free will and think of things such as crystal balls, tarot cards and anything to do with predicting the future as being what is is, absoloute bollox!

how many times do i have to say just forget about nostradamus

You mention him 8 fucking times in your last post!!!!!!!!!

i didnt realise untill a few days ago how close minded poker players are
first sensible thing you've come out with in 7 pages.

that's unfair, kinboshi has contributed to the thread too and you haven't accused him of being close minded!!!

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: