blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:39:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Learning Centre (Moderators: Longy, JungleCat03)
| | | |-+  Squeeze play
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Squeeze play  (Read 49930 times)
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2008, 01:37:27 PM »

This learning centre is good, I can post my should-know-by-now shit here and it's ok Smiley

For example,

I'm faily low stack with about 12 big blinds at 150/300.  Folds to the cut off who limps as does the button.  I'm in the small blind with pocket 3's.  The two limpers have huge stacks compared to me (10k+).

Should I shove here?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 01:41:29 PM »

This learning centre is good, I can post my should-know-by-now shit here and it's ok Smiley

For example,

I'm faily low stack with about 12 big blinds at 150/300.  Folds to the cut off who limps as does the button.  I'm in the small blind with pocket 3's.  The two limpers have huge stacks compared to me (10k+).

Should I shove here?

Absolutely not. Fold quickly.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 01:43:28 PM »

For example,

Should I shove here?

Hmmm this is probably close with 3's here, but i would shove in an mtt especially if there is antes andthe co & btn have not shown a propensity to call stupid light.

Shove>Call>>>>> Fold imo
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 01:46:06 PM by Longy » Logged
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 01:47:43 PM »

why did you post on the lc? I can't be rude and sarcy now. wanted to post

[ ] this is a squeeze play

but I'm probs not allowed to

a squeeze play (pre flop) is when we go over the top of a raise and 1 or more calls, ideally with the original raiser being loose. same thing on later streets but with a bet and call(s).

in the situation in the op I'm not shoving this. you've got 2 big stacks already in and the BB still to act, not a great spot and 12BB is not dessperate enough

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 01:50:45 PM »

100% the reason Cheesy

thanks for the replies

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »

[ ] this is a squeeze play

but I'm probs not allowed to

a squeeze play (pre flop) is when we go over the top of a raise and 1 or more calls, ideally with the original raiser being loose. same thing on later streets but with a bet and call(s).

in the situation in the op I'm not shoving this. you've got 2 big stacks already in and the BB still to act, not a great spot and 12BB is not dessperate enough

Agreed, except amend "not desperate enough", to "not even desperate, this is cruise-mode stack".

And add, at this juncture of a Tourney, with this stack, get your money in first. With anything.

If ONE of the limpers calls (& we are assuming the BB does not wake up with a big hand), then the second limper is almost certain to come along, as well. How do you like your pocket threes now, facing 4 overs minimum, possibly 1 or even 2 overpairs? Not much.

There, I've said it. Now the Upstarts can flame me, instead of you. Neat, eh?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 01:58:49 PM »

Cheers.  I usually do wait to get in first but whilst I was in ok shape technically, I was a long way behind everyone else with the average being around 8k.   I seem to get low in the mid stages of comps and was just wondering if I should be looking to do something in these situations as perhaps I was missing an opportunity.   

I just limped in the end, then folded when I obviously missed my set. 

TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 02:00:49 PM »

Shove>Call>>>>> Fold imo

This.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 02:08:56 PM »

DEF shove!

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 02:09:55 PM »

Cheers.  I usually do wait to get in first but whilst I was in ok shape technically, I was a long way behind everyone else with the average being around 8k.   I seem to get low in the mid stages of comps and was just wondering if I should be looking to do something in these situations as perhaps I was missing an opportunity.   

So what? Don't be fixated by the bigger stacks. Be lazy. Let them do the work, & bust each other. You can find a zillion better spots than this.

I'm talking, of course, about Live Play, not Online.

LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 02:13:44 PM »

im shoving here with my hand in the air.

If ONE of the limpers calls (& we are assuming the BB does not wake up with a big hand), then the second limper is almost certain to come along, as well.

this isnt true, they only have 30x stacks and cant just peel off a 12x light.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 02:20:44 PM »

If ONE of the limpers calls (& we are assuming the BB does not wake up with a big hand), then the second limper is almost certain to come along, as well.

this. People still need to find some sort of hand to call you with. My chips are in.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 02:21:47 PM »

Hmmm, so I am possibly missing a trick.

Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 02:22:26 PM »

So what? Don't be fixated by the bigger stacks. Be lazy. Let them do the work, & bust each other. You can find a zillion better spots than this.

I'm talking, of course, about Live Play, not Online.

Why?

I know you and I are going to fundamentally disagree on how much wriggle room there is with a 12bb stack. If we shove we are rarely going to get two calls so the 4 overs arguement is a bit pointless, even if we do get called by 4 overs we are probably getting a great price to triple through anyway.

I haven't done the maths but i would be surprised if folding is better than shoving, we should be looking at whether this is +ev or not. Players always over estimate their edge further down the line, you gain your edge by making the correct decision by getting spots like this right.

I can't see how folding is better than calling we are getting very nice price to set mine 33 as long as the bb doesn't raise a lot in this spot.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 02:24:19 PM »

this. People still need to find some sort of hand to call you with. My chips are in.

...well, if they are half-bright, they KNOW your Range here is enormous, &, after all, as the Thread Title suggests, this might look like a squeeze, to pick up 1,050 of dead money. (25% of our stack).

Pop to the loo, go have a fag, order a cup of tea & a bacon sarny, no need to be panicking yet awhile.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: