blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:20:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best of blonde
| | | |-+  Stuart "easypickings" Rutter : In the well
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stuart "easypickings" Rutter : In the well  (Read 81545 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2008, 02:40:52 PM »

From Birmingham, Stuart entered the Poker world in 2005 his student days just behind him where his final year was spent in Germany. He qualifed online for the Monte Carlo Millions, and caught by the bug he went off to play more live. In one of his early tournaments he finished fourth in the Helsinki Main event and from there played the European scene for a while.

Since then he's established himself as one of the up and coming pros with a series of results in the UK and Europe. Most recently these included a final table in the GUKPT grand final  for over £40,000 following on from the final table of the GUKPT Luton last August.

These results represented a return to form as, by his own admission, 2008 until then had been disappointing by his own standards.

In the early part of 2009 Stuart has a hectic schedule, about to begin in Galway with his brother and fellow blonde Tom and then onto Paris, EPT Deauville and Utrecht in association with 32redpoker where his blog can be seen.

So over to you, questions for Stuart Rutter please..............

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 02:43:18 PM »

how dangerous is it to leave women with me while you go to the bar?
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 02:44:52 PM »

this isn't a set up, as I genuinely don't know!

what online games do you play and why? torunaments/cash? levels?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 02:48:34 PM »

If you played Tom heads up every day with equal bankrolls who would busto first?

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
easypickings

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 02:50:22 PM »

how dangerous is it to leave women with me while you go to the bar?

In Blackpool, it's probably dangerous just to look away.

I'm still gutted like a fish about that steal
easypickings

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 02:58:35 PM »

If you played Tom heads up every day with equal bankrolls who would busto first?

Rutter would.

No, damn good question. It would definitely be very close I think. I would go for Tom; he plays a great game, and one that is even more aggressive than mine. He's the more natural heads up player in that respect.

It's been great to be learning the game at the same time as him. We talk about hands a lot of the time; I've hardly ever played against him in a live jobbie, but  I imagine it would be a nightmare.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 03:13:16 PM »

I get confused. Are you the good-looking one, or the one that plays good?

Seriously, what memories do you have of that splendidly structured Event in Helsinki? Apart from me not lasting until Level Two, that is.

You looked nailed-on during Day Two, but it got away from you somehow. Did it come a little early in your career? (Flushy & JP were in the same event, as I recall).

What did you think of Pascal Perault's game in that Final? He was vying, with Mickey Wernick (who was back in the UK) for Ranking Points, to clinch the Player of the Year, but I think he blew it.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
easypickings

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 03:22:39 PM »

this isn't a set up, as I genuinely don't know!

what online games do you play and why? torunaments/cash? levels?

It's funny. I was talking about stuff with Alex Martin in Luton, and only then realised that I've hardly ever played a live cash game, and hardly ever played an online tournament. So, I have quite a bizarre mix of building a bankroll multi-tabling online cash games, and donking it off in live tournaments.

I used to play farily high ($25/50 sometimes, mainly $10/20) with reasonable success, but the last few months have decided that the best way for me to build steadily is probably to multi-table $5/10, normally 9 tables at the same time. This is partly that I find poker more satisfying if the swings are alot lower. It is also because it would need a player much better than me to be able to multi-table higher than $5/10, and be successful despite the lower attention you can give to the dynamics of the game.

I feel that the standard of play on the internet has increased sharply over the last year, and even that it will continue to do so. That should be of real concern to an internet grinder, and I genuinely think it could reach a saturation point one day where it is difficult to beat the games by much more than the rake. I would advise any friend pretty heavily against internet play as a way of reliable way of making money.

"Why?" is a very good question, as the fact that variance is alot less cruel if you play alot of tables is important to me,  and was especially so during my dry spell in 'live' poker. It's very satisfying to be able to sit down for a couple of hours, and know that if I play well I will win, and that if I lose, it can only be becuase I haven't played well enough.This balance that you can achieve within a couple of hours on the internet would take many months in the live tournament circuit.

That said, I love 'live' poker, and have actually played far more 'live' than on the internet in the last few months. I'm hoping to play quite alot of liive tournaments in the next few months, but imagine that I could play alot more without ever getting bored if it wasn't for the element of spending so much time away from home.

I am careful with money, but really couldn't care less about winning it. Poker for me is all about the challenge of the game; 'live' poker is the real deal for me, and I see internet as no more than a practice ground for the true challenge. This was why I found the run of doing well online and never bothering the scorers in live tournaments so frustrating, and found myself wishing it could swap the two situations round.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 06:45:04 PM by easypickings » Logged
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 03:28:26 PM »

wp for doing this stu.

one question. who is the nicer guy, you or thewy? have you ever been mean to anyone?

Smiley

p.s vbol in galway and cu soon m8.
easypickings

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 03:56:20 PM »

I get confused. Are you the good-looking one, or the one that plays good?

Wrong family mate.

Seriously, what memories do you have of that splendidly structured Event in Helsinki? Apart from me not lasting until Level Two, that is.

That tournament in Helsinki was, until recently, far above any other in having a wonderful slow structure.It is just a shame that it seems to attract all those Scandanavian fellars.

Luckily that bar has been raised more consistently recently; I think Jon Raab has perfected the GUKPT structure within the constraints that he has, and good efforts by other tours such as the Gala Poker Tour will hopefully feel a pressure to improve after DTD's wonderful effort in December. (Interestingly, if you measure the structure of a tournament relative to its buy in, it is at the moment the EPT which comes out by far the worst). I think good structures are just so important for 'live' players, and the change that could allow the biggest improvement for a structure in the same time frame is for a tour to committ to eight-handed tables. Even if space does not allow this at the start, an organiser could still seek to play eight-handed as soon as is possible.

You looked nailed-on during Day Two, but it got away from you somehow. Did it come a little early in your career? (Flushy & JP were in the same event, as I recall).

Looking back to that tournament in 2005, it was a serious injustice to poker that I made the final table of that tournament.(The epitomy of mu luck was when I scooped a pre-flop all-in with   vs   .) My naivety at the time should have cost me in a number of ways, but one part of that naivety that is interesting is that it allowed me to go with my instinct, and make crazy all-in moves when I thought the time was right. Funnily enough, I probably chanced upon exactly the right way for me to play that tournament, given the limited experience I had. For all that you gain with experience, I just wonder how costly is the loss of that rawness and willingness to be reckless.

One of the strangest things about this funny game is that mistakes are not punished as they should be, and so often rewarded. The biggest mistake I made was to completely misjudge a situation and move in with   against Johan Storakers, who snapped me with   ; a ten on the turn gave me a big stack I did not deserve. My tournament ended in 4th place after a fairly unusual mistake from Peter Eichardt. I had 3-bet with   , and he moved all-in with . Problem was, he didn't have the fold equity he thought he did, and I was obliged to scratch my head, shrug my shoulders, and call. An ace on the flop ended it for me, and now good friend Jonas Molander went on to get a first big win that he thoroughly deserved.

My memories of those few days are just of such excitement, I couldn't believe what was happening. Apart from a few nerves around the bubble, I felt no pressure and was just determined to enjoy the whole experience, not sure whether I would ever have it again. It's interesting to look back not only at the rawness of my play, but also of my excitement. I knew in that, my second ever live tournament, how ridiculously lucky I was to be able to go somewhere like Helsinki, and play a game I loved. That's something that's very easy to lose amidst all of the frustrations and disappointments of tournament poker, and so I often think back to those days, and use them as my benchmark for how much I will enjoy the game.

What did you think of Pascal Perault's game in that Final? He was vying, with Mickey Wernick (who was back in the UK) for Ranking Points, to clinch the Player of the Year, but I think he blew it.

Just popping out, will answer the last question later.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 06:47:19 PM by easypickings » Logged
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 04:02:21 PM »

.....will hopefully feel a pressure to improve after DTD's wonderful effort in December. (Interestingly, if you measure the structure of a tournament relative to its buy in, it is at the moment the EPT which comes out by far the worst). I think good structures are just so important for 'live' players, and the change that could allow the biggest improvement for a structure in the same time frame is for a tour to committ to eight-handed tables. Even if space does not allow this at the start, an organiser could still seek to play eight-handed as soon as is possible.

OMG. I love you.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 04:05:31 PM »

I knew in that, my second ever live tournamnet, how ridiculously lucky I was to be able to go somewhere like Helsinki

And, if I'm not mistaken, your first Live Tourney was in Walsall, yes? I may even have interviewed you, for Poker425?

PS - If your bro will give me one of those Yassar Arafat type neckerchief/tablecloths he wears so frequently, I'll love him more than I love you. How cool does he look in that? How cool would I look in that? ('Photo courtesy of blondepedia).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 04:08:32 PM by tikay » Logged

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 04:24:19 PM »

How many scarfs do you have?  do you have a favourite?

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 05:23:53 PM »

I feel that the standard of play on the internet has increased sharply over the last year, and even will continue to do so. That should be of real concern to an internet grinder, and I genuinely think it could reach a saturation point one day where it is difficult to beat the games by much more than the rake. I would advise any friend pretty heavily against internet play as a way of reliable way of making money.

Poker for me is all about the challenge of the game; 'live' poker is the real deal for me, and I see internet as no more than a practice ground for the true challenge.

So the practice is harder than the real thing?

Does this mean what you actually seek is an ego massage and adulation from your peers rather than playing with and beating the best?

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
easypickings

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 07:16:49 PM »

I actually didn't play with Pascal at all, as he busted out just before the final table. If memory serves me right, he needed to come 4th in the year's last big live tournament to snatch it off Mickey. Apparently, what happened was that he decided to make a dangerous run for a big stack with about 16 players left, and hit the ground before he hit the sky. If this is true, this is a very admirable attitude to take towards the ranking systems (and one in fact that I saw Andreas Krause take in Paris last year in an attempt to nick the title off Soren, which ended with him busting out on the final table bubble).

I admire these two kamikaze efforts at the title, as I feel the rankings system is met with unfair apathy from most observers. People cite two big disadvantages it has, but these are too obvious. Of course they are not a measure of who has played the best poker that year (far from it), but I think the system comes fairly close to this impossible task. There is no immediate financial incentive, but what the rankings system does represent is one of the few opportunities for prestige in poker.

Poker in the public view is behind other activities such as darts, or even chess, which some see as having crossed the borderline between a game and a sport. Where it falls behind is that it lacks the idea of some kind of accepted rankings system. If people are going to be interested in a game, they want to have some idea of who are the best players, and who is going to be the overall winner. If that can develop the kind of excitement of someone making a late run for the "title" like Pascal did, then that is a great thing.

The rankings system stands alone in being able to provide ongoing anticipation, and I think people should spend theie time suggesting improvements to the system rather than doubting its aims. (Indeed,it seems quite strange to me that someone like Jason Mercier can play only a handful of tournaments on this continent, come away with two EPT final tables including a victory, and a 1st in the high rollers event in London, and somehow not take the title).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: