blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:57:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Penalty for flat calling nuts, last to act?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Penalty for flat calling nuts, last to act?  (Read 4705 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2014, 11:00:06 PM »

Isn't there an overiding rule of poker that you disregard the other rules and do what is fair on occasions like this?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2014, 08:18:50 AM »

You wish for information on your opponent and by placing in a bet that could see your opposition fold his hand, you lose that opportunity. Or;

Now that has some logic to it, hmmmmmmm   my self I suppose I want the chance of getting more chips but can see why balla players might want the above.

Steve
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »

Personally, I have never felt that "flat calling" with the 'nuts' is deserving of a penalty.

If it is someone really experienced, I am more likely to question their motives but it would generally still result in a warning and that such behaviour is something I would monitor going forwards.

You either do it because:

You're trying to cheat/chip dump,
You wish for information on your opponent and by placing in a bet that could see your opposition fold his hand, you lose that opportunity. Or;
You genuinely didn't realise your hand.

99.9% of the time, in my experience, it is the 3rd option and occasionally the 2nd.

You cannot calculate or pre-plan being in a situation where you have the absolute best hand and then go on to use it advantageously to benefit a friend/conspirator etc thus it would seem to me that we should therefore consider that the situation arises through error or a desire to gain information. You could also argue that is situationally beneficial to someone in order to exploit certain situations such as the bubble.

Irrespective, I am rambling:

We do not have a rule that indicates you forfeit the pot. I have no idea how that came to be believed, but usually if something sounds absurd - it probably is!

Thanks for the clarification. I was astonished that it was even suggested, but the noise was great.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2014, 11:33:21 PM »

If you're properly soft playing each other and one of you bets the river, and the other one goes all in the if the soft playing arrangement is pre made then surely they would know they aren't being bluffed, and that if they had the second nuts they'd jut call so they should fold...they lose same chips as if they'd just called anyways ?!?!

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: