blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 04:28:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273531 Posts in 66761 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Poker Agents
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poker Agents  (Read 2466 times)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« on: April 05, 2009, 11:12:43 AM »

In the last couple of months, for the first time really, I have been finding myself getting involved with 'poker agents' for a number of things (mainly when I am interviewing their players). Some of them really know their stuff, others seem a bit useless, I imagine thats the case with all types of agents in fields like sports and entertainment.

It makes me wonder what sort of deals these guys are on. Are they on a percentage of players profits or a set fee? Anyone have any idea? Or at least, what sort of deals are the sporty/entertainmenty agents on? I imagine it could be a whole lot of work for nothing if you are on a percentage of players profits and they went broke.
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 12:01:40 PM »

never heard anything more ludicrous in my life.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 12:14:14 PM »

In the last couple of months, for the first time really, I have been finding myself getting involved with 'poker agents' for a number of things (mainly when I am interviewing their players). Some of them really know their stuff, others seem a bit useless, I imagine thats the case with all types of agents in fields like sports and entertainment.

It makes me wonder what sort of deals these guys are on. Are they on a percentage of players profits or a set fee? Anyone have any idea? Or at least, what sort of deals are the sporty/entertainmenty agents on? I imagine it could be a whole lot of work for nothing if you are on a percentage of players profits and they went broke.

I would imagine that the agent would get a cut of anything they can generate away from the poker table and that the player's profits have nothing to do with the deal apart from raising his/her profile and making the player more marketable.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 12:17:44 PM »

lol @ poker players with agents wtf!!!

Seriously what self respecting player has an agent?

Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 12:20:39 PM »

lol @ poker players with agents wtf!!!

Seriously what self respecting player has an agent?

The shrewdies have Nicky as their "Online" Agent Wink

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
CelticGeezeer

Viva la Quinta Brigada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 12:21:00 PM »

Las Vegas poker Agent Brian Balsbaugh — Founder, President & CEO of Poker Royalty
Email: brian@pokerroyalty.com

Source : Gamblin' Man — An article written by John Gonzalez for SPIRIT, Southwest Airlines Magazine.
The phone in poker agent Brian Balsbaugh's office rings off the hook. The business of poker is booming and the top professional poker players in the world are demanding Balsbaugh's attention. Everyday he is negotiating deals for his big name clients: Phil Hellmuth, Daniel Negreanu, Erick Lindgren. The biggest and best names in poker are in high demand.

Visit http://www.youtube.com/v/4Zi-z5Z9t14 to view "Episode #4 - Poker Agent to the Stars" of the ESPN ALL-IN Access coverage of the 2007 WSOP. Poker agent Brian Balsbaugh's thriving business symbolizes just how far he has come over the years. Today Balsbaugh is the owner of Poker Royalty, the premiere poker agency that represents the kings and queens of poker. He currently represents 25 professional poker players including hotshots such as Gus Hansen, Jennifer Harman, and Antonio Esfandiari.

http://pokerroyalty.com/about/brian-balsbaugh.php

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." - Dom Helder Camara
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 01:00:35 PM »

Makes sense I suppose.

If I were a TV producer negotiating a deal with Gus Hansen directly and he demanded more money lest he take his talents to the other side of the street, I'd be inclined to think he was bluffing.  Grin

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 02:16:45 PM »

makes a lot of sense for the big names obviously. Do they want to deal with every little bit of possible business they are approached with? I think letting someone else take control of x, y and z makes a lot of sense, time is precious.
Div

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 02:27:51 PM »

I've seen a few articles about the WSOP that talk about these guys coming out of the woodwork, especially as the televised events head towards final table time.

They generally target the unknowns who won't have pre existing arrangements, and try to broker deals for wearing logos and branded merchandise on TV.

For the big name players they probably do more work on getting tie ins to things like books, games, TV appearances, etc.

'Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.'
- Warren Buffett

http://pokerdiv.blogspot.com
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 08:10:11 PM »

I am willing to offer my services as a poker agent to all blondes at 50% of my normal rate.  Not sure what my normal rate is yet but PM me and I'm sure I can come up with something, Rick not sure if this offer is open to you, it upsets me when people mock my chosen career, add to that I think our wardrobes would clash...

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 08:40:35 PM »

I think Moomin has an agent. Cheesy

Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 08:41:40 PM »

Why else do you think Brian Townsend moved to Brighton?

HI HELEN!
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 08:43:22 PM »

Why else do you think Brian Townsend moved to Brighton?

lol

AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 02:21:53 AM »

kara is HOT and im jealous.
Dry em
Hit Squad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 08:07:06 AM »

Had 2 people contact us about this very recently, although it just seemed like people jumping on a bandwagon, rather than being very experienced. Were both talking about % deals. Both weren't talking about it for very long...

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: