blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:31:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Girgy85's Tales of a Taxi Driver.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 ... 98 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Girgy85's Tales of a Taxi Driver.  (Read 191873 times)
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: December 03, 2009, 12:39:31 AM »

one of those protein shakes you like as it will give you energy more quickly than if you had some fruit or w/e.
eh? you sure about that?
Speaking as someone who knows a lot more about chemistry than nutrition, that statement sounds wrong - energy release in living cells relies on short-chain sugar molecules (glucose, basically). Body has to break everything down into that before it can use it for energy. The chain of enzymatic reactions to get from protein to glucose is pretty long, compared to any sugar (from fruit or potato for that matter) to glucose.

But I'd be prepared to be pointed at a wikipedia page that proves me wrong Smiley. Who needs scientific papers these days?

he's talking about post workout nutrition, this may or may not be very important to bodybuilders athletes etc but again not something for girgy to worry too much about. PWO shakes eg Surge http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/surge_pwo_drink_discuss have carbs and protein, i think fruit has to be processed by something first (your liver?) before it can surge into your muscles to make your biceptz hooge.

chocolate milkshake ftw according to many these days

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/an-objective-comparison-of-chocolate-milk-and-surge-recovery.html
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: December 03, 2009, 01:22:46 AM »

Nuts are great if you want to gain weight. They aren't what you need mate.

The words snack and diet shouldn't really be linked either if it's a slimming diet.

Snacking is almost always just eating for the sake of it. Try to get the food you need from planned meals. If it's a planned snack then fine but if they're not planned they are hard to control and you won't really know what you've had.

This is really wrong and shows a lack of any theoretical knowledge but w/e

please google "metabolism"

and then google "how to increase metabolism"

Thanks for the advice. I had no idea of quite how clueless I was on this subject.

Girgy please ignore any advice I've ever given you. Just eat lots of snacks and your metabolism will go through the roof.

Hopefully then you won't need to do anything else.

Sorry for all the shite i've spun on your thread. Please forgive me. I'll buy you a bag of nuts at the weekend to make up for it.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
CounterfeitKing

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: December 03, 2009, 02:33:22 AM »

OK slight overreaction but I guess it just depends on what you would consider constructive advice. If you're not familiar with the subject matter you're giving advice on isn't it better to offer lay spiritual encouragement rather than an uninformed opinion? If it were my thread I would want it that way but w/e.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #738 on: December 03, 2009, 10:03:10 AM »

Byron's hit the nail on the head. You're not training to be a power-lifter, run a marathon, or swim the channel.  You're trying to lose some excess weight.

Girgy - it's simple.

Eat less bad shit, eat good shit (but not in excess), exercise more and regularly.  If the calories you're burning through exercise and your metabolism are greater than those you're ingesting, then you will lose weight.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #739 on: December 03, 2009, 10:04:17 AM »

Oh, and I'd cut down on the egg yolks - but that's because of the saturated fat which isn't great for the heart.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: December 03, 2009, 10:36:20 AM »

OK slight overreaction but I guess it just depends on what you would consider constructive advice. If you're not familiar with the subject matter you're giving advice on isn't it better to offer lay spiritual encouragement rather than an uninformed opinion? If it were my thread I would want it that way but w/e.

Please explain wtf you are on about.......

This would be better if you could do it without pointing towards google.

Are you saying that Girgy should be eating nuts?

Are you saying that he should be eating snacks because they will increase his metabolism?

Can you point me to some scientific evidence that says snacking is a good way to lose 4st in 6 months?

I'd be impressed if you can be bothered but w/e.

[/quote]

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
rex008

View Profile WWW
« Reply #741 on: December 03, 2009, 11:14:52 AM »

There's a good diagram showing how various molecules are assimilated & converted by the body here.

Let me know when you find "snacks" on there Cheesy.

Pretty much every line on there is catalysed by a different enzyme. Your body is awash with a massive variety of folded protein molecules. Fascinating stuff.

No idea how this helps, Girgy, sorry Smiley.

Mr CounterfeitKing, sir, maybe it would help if you explained your qualifications in offering advice. A lot of us have met Evilpie, so are amply aware of his Smiley.

Oh my god I'm a sad nerdy geek.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
The secret to a happy life - "Never pass up a chance to have sex or appear on television." - Gore Vidal
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: December 03, 2009, 12:59:41 PM »

cashews and almonds are shit hot for snacks, unsalted obviously

Yea think i need to get some nuts to snack on while im on the road!

Nuts are great if you want to gain weight. They aren't what you need mate.

The words snack and diet shouldn't really be linked either if it's a slimming diet.

Snacking is almost always just eating for the sake of it. Try to get the food you need from planned meals. If it's a planned snack then fine but if they're not planned they are hard to control and you won't really know what you've had.

Best to leave them out completely if poss.

Right I need to sort this nuts thing out before I end up in an unproductive to n fro with Mr Counterfeit.

As Counterfeit has rightly said nuts are very good for you. However they need to be eaten in moderation and as a controlled part of your diet. Whilst they contain lots of healthy fats and proteins and all sorts of other goodies they also contain a lot of calories.

Your diet at the moment is looking pretty good but when you mentioned that you need to buy some nuts to "snack" on whilst on the road the alarm bells rang a bit to be honest.

Snacking to me is eating for the sake of it. If you can cope without them then you are better off without them and this is what I was trying to say.

If you are happy with your current diet and you aren't craving for anything then don't have anything. If you find that you are starving whilst on the road then a bag of nuts is much better than a packet of ready salted. They need to be the right nuts though with no added crap.

If you like the taste of nuts then perhaps substitute them for something else but eating them just because you fancy a snack is just adding calories with no benefit whatsoever in relation to your goal of losing weight. Perhaps you could substitute them for something else.

Perhaps remove 1 of your 2 bananas a day and add a small bag of nuts. You could then have half the bag of nuts with half a banana in place of the 2 bananas. This way you get the health benefits of the nuts without the extra pointless calories.

Girgy85

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: December 03, 2009, 01:05:49 PM »

Guys lets not get heated on this please! Dont want anybody getting banned!

The last few days at work i have been a little hungry between 4pm(on the road) and 9pm (when i get home). Im looking for something i could have about 6-7pm other than a bit of fruit thats gonna be good for me any ideas?

Well on another note i have just had a good session at the gym. Did 45 minutes on the treadmill covering 4.83km. I then did a few weights. Trained back, shoulders and biceps today. I finished off with about 10 steady lenghts in the pool followed by a steam room and jacuzzi.

Tomorrow im gonna have a rest day and then another big session on Saturday.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 01:08:06 PM by Girgy85 » Logged

Best poster Girgy IMO - Mantis

Girgy is my new hero! - Evilpie

Think Girgy has shown the best leopard instincts in this thread and would prob survive best in the wild. Eye of the tiger that fella - Mantis

Girgy is a m'fkn machine - Daveshoelace
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: December 03, 2009, 01:12:13 PM »

The last few days at work i have been a little hungry between 4pm(on the road) and 9pm (when i get home). Im looking for something i could have about 6-7pm other than a bit of fruit thats gonna be good for me any ideas?

Well on another note i have just had a good session at the gym. Did 45 minutes on the treadmill covering 4.83km. I then did a few weights. Trained back, shoulders and biceps today. I finished off with about 10 steady lenghts in the pool followed by a steam room and jacuzzi.

Why dont we want people getting banned?
Its about the funniest thing that keeps this forum buzzing!
Lets get heated, lets get banned!
And if you eat between 4pm and 9pm your banned!

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Girgy85

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: December 03, 2009, 01:14:29 PM »

Why dont we want people getting banned?
Its about the funniest thing that keeps this forum buzzing!
Lets get heated, lets get banned!
And if you eat between 4pm and 9pm your banned!

Ok ban us all

Stu FUCK OFF

Best poster Girgy IMO - Mantis

Girgy is my new hero! - Evilpie

Think Girgy has shown the best leopard instincts in this thread and would prob survive best in the wild. Eye of the tiger that fella - Mantis

Girgy is a m'fkn machine - Daveshoelace
I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: December 03, 2009, 02:49:10 PM »

It doesnt stop people posting on PHA

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
CounterfeitKing

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: December 03, 2009, 03:23:08 PM »

I was going to make the comparison to PHA but I thought it slightly harsh as everyone is entitled to their opinion and even if it is fundamentally wrong it's much more difficult to change the mind of a poor poker player's thinking than something more arbitrary like nutrition.

OK I never really wanted to get too involved with this thread but it started with a helpful sentence which was leapt upon pretty amusingly so I guess I'll continue. Last year I lost 3 stone in about 5 months and crucially, I have kept the weight off. As you probably know (and i think I saw a reference to someone else having done this in the thread), one of the most difficult parts is keeping the weight off after you lose it. I don't know Girgy but generally if you get to 20+ stone you have a pre-disposition towards living an unhealthy lifestyle, its not like you can lose track of things for a while and end up that heavy. Therefore, without doubt the hardest thing for him is going to be keeping the weight down after he is at a level he is pleased with. The way I found to do this is to lose the weight in both a healthy fashion and more importantly a sustainable fashion. Like I said before, Girgy won't go to the gym several times a week for the rest of his life, and he also wont stick to a healthy diet for the rest of his life so you have to everything you can to improve your bodily function to burn fat more efficiently without those things.

'Snacking', in EvilPie's eyes seems to be eating for the sake of it, this is a direct contradiction to how I would describe it. It is essential to eat very frequently, you have to convince your body it's not going to be hungry and so doesnt need to store fat. Your metabolic rate is the speed at which you use energy, through burning fat etc whilst at rest. Some people naturally have low metabolisms and so anything they eat seems to go to fat, and others can seeminly eat anything and not gain weight. It's all about metabolism and eating 'snacks' throughout the day without doubt increases your BMR. Therefore, snacking is not eating for the sake, it is eating for a very specific reason and yes of course it has to be controlled, if you're serious about it everything that passes your lips has to be controlled.

The point about nuts (and this only applies to certain types, i suggested cashews and almonds) is that not only to they fill you up better than say a piece of fruit, but they a good source of mono-unsaturated fat (which is essential in a diet) as well as reducing cholesterol and helping prevent heart disease, two things that again being 20+ stone are likely to be a problem so from a health point of view they are again better than other snacks.

It sounds like Byronkid really knows his stuff so it's not really necessary for me to comment anymore and I wish Girgy the best of luck herein.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #748 on: December 03, 2009, 03:39:47 PM »

I was going to make the comparison to PHA but I thought it slightly harsh as everyone is entitled to their opinion and even if it is fundamentally wrong it's much more difficult to change the mind of a poor poker player's thinking than something more arbitrary like nutrition.

OK I never really wanted to get too involved with this thread but it started with a helpful sentence which was leapt upon pretty amusingly so I guess I'll continue. Last year I lost 3 stone in about 5 months and crucially, I have kept the weight off. As you probably know (and i think I saw a reference to someone else having done this in the thread), one of the most difficult parts is keeping the weight off after you lose it. I don't know Girgy but generally if you get to 20+ stone you have a pre-disposition towards living an unhealthy lifestyle, its not like you can lose track of things for a while and end up that heavy. Therefore, without doubt the hardest thing for him is going to be keeping the weight down after he is at a level he is pleased with. The way I found to do this is to lose the weight in both a healthy fashion and more importantly a sustainable fashion. Like I said before, Girgy won't go to the gym several times a week for the rest of his life, and he also wont stick to a healthy diet for the rest of his life so you have to everything you can to improve your bodily function to burn fat more efficiently without those things.

'Snacking', in EvilPie's eyes seems to be eating for the sake of it, this is a direct contradiction to how I would describe it. It is essential to eat very frequently, you have to convince your body it's not going to be hungry and so doesnt need to store fat. Your metabolic rate is the speed at which you use energy, through burning fat etc whilst at rest. Some people naturally have low metabolisms and so anything they eat seems to go to fat, and others can seeminly eat anything and not gain weight. It's all about metabolism and eating 'snacks' throughout the day without doubt increases your BMR. Therefore, snacking is not eating for the sake, it is eating for a very specific reason and yes of course it has to be controlled, if you're serious about it everything that passes your lips has to be controlled.

The point about nuts (and this only applies to certain types, i suggested cashews and almonds) is that not only to they fill you up better than say a piece of fruit, but they a good source of mono-unsaturated fat (which is essential in a diet) as well as reducing cholesterol and helping prevent heart disease, two things that again being 20+ stone are likely to be a problem so from a health point of view they are again better than other snacks.

It sounds like Byronkid really knows his stuff so it's not really necessary for me to comment anymore and I wish Girgy the best of luck herein.

Surely that's exactly what he needs to do?  Well, exercise regularly and eat a healthy, balanced diet?

CounterfeitKing

View Profile
« Reply #749 on: December 03, 2009, 03:51:20 PM »

Well yes in a perfect world that would happen but it's very unlikely for him or anyone, particularly those with a pre-disposition for gaining weight. As I said, you have to reduce the impact of this inevitability by increasing metabolism and also through habitual change.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 ... 98 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: