blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:37:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272577 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Mechanic dispute
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mechanic dispute  (Read 1551 times)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« on: September 15, 2009, 11:19:35 AM »

I am about to go round to a mechanics and presumably get my head kicked in when I make an angry show of myself.

Cliffnotes: Took my car round today to replace a clutch, told by several mechanics it will cost about 250+vat, only going to this mechanics because they are on my road and I literally cant drive the car anywhere. I asked for a quote and he told me he would ring me, two hours later he rings me and says they have fixed it and its 450 quid.

I presume they dont have a leg to stand on when they go and fix it without telling me a price, when I asked for it before they did it?

Also seems odd they can fix a clutch in two hours
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 11:23:51 AM »

get the first punch in  imo

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 11:27:46 AM »

get the first punch in  imo

then pay by cheque,and off to bank to stop it FTW

then argue the toss
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 11:32:54 AM »

I am about to go round to a mechanics and presumably get my head kicked in when I make an angry show of myself.

Cliffnotes: Took my car round today to replace a clutch, told by several mechanics it will cost about 250+vat, only going to this mechanics because they are on my road and I literally cant drive the car anywhere. I asked for a quote and he told me he would ring me, two hours later he rings me and says they have fixed it and its 450 quid.

I presume they dont have a leg to stand on when they go and fix it without telling me a price, when I asked for it before they did it?

Also seems odd they can fix a clutch in two hours

Ask for a complete breakdown of the cost and for all the old parts they say they have replaced. (useful later in court)

You are perfectly within your rights to refuse to pay if you think you are being overcharged. Leave your name and address and a written offer to pay a reasonable amount.

PS- Two hours is a reasonable time to fix a clutch, but make sure they only bill you for two hours labour.

The older I get, the better I was.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 11:39:55 AM »

Metaphorically speaking the mechanics 'saw the opportunity to beep you and call you a wanker'.

In seriousness though I'd be kicking off big time about this too if I was you. They use this sort of shit as an angle on people who will just not know to do anything else other than pay up.

gl

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 11:42:47 AM »

Metaphorically speaking the mechanics 'saw the opportunity to beep you and call you a wanker'.

In seriousness though I'd be kicking off big time about this too if I was you. They use this sort of shit as an angle on people who will just not know to do anything else other than pay up.

gl

lol

And yes, agreed, the second I told him politely to recrunch his numbers he kind of said something along the lines of 'dont worry, I can do better than that' so looks like he is already dropping it down a bit. Worse bit is that this garage is part of the good garage scheme, they should know better.

Thanks for the reponses everyone

bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 11:54:34 AM »

just go there and offer like £360, then he'll say £425, then you say, ill go £380 and thats it, he'll say £410, you say £400 and i'll do it, shake his hand, done.

or you can take all the information, get a breakdown and take your local mechanic to court, they sure will make it easy for you and it sure wont be a complete waste of a coule of months
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 12:06:06 PM »

Oh I wouldn't dream of taking him to court, I'd let him take me to court.

bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 12:07:01 PM »

so you'll just drive your car out and say i'm not paying anything
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 12:08:07 PM »

so you'll just drive your car out and say i'm not paying anything

Not quite. Read my original post.

TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 12:10:53 PM »

Could they not refuse to give you the keys?

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 12:12:01 PM »

what self respecting grimming mechanic is gonna let this crap happen?..................Ask for a complete breakdown of the cost and for all the old parts they say they have replaced. (useful later in court)You are perfectly within your rights to refuse to pay if you think you are being overcharged. Leave your name and address and a written offer to pay a reasonable amount.

are you trying to get dave beaten up?
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 12:12:49 PM »

Could they not refuse to give you the keys?

Yes, but they would be breaking the law. Remember, you haven't refused to pay, you're just disputing the amount.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 03:09:22 PM »

Got down there and he said "Ive looked after you here, £350" . I expected to pay 350 before I got the quotes done and he did shave £100 off his asking price, but the cheek of claiming he did me a favour by basically not grimming me (as much) when I argued against his prices. I paid it and the clutch is nice and new and bouncy now, so not the worse day ever I guess.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: