blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:47:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Evilpie's get off your lazy arse and get back to the gym diaries
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 ... 146 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Evilpie's get off your lazy arse and get back to the gym diaries  (Read 261650 times)
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: January 30, 2011, 11:03:53 AM »

Now then chaps, as you may know I have been trying to lose a bit of weight, things have been going ok and haven't really tried to crash diet, just eat a little better and do a touch more exercise. Nothing too flash just run a bit with the do go for a swim now and then and do big walks at the weekend.

I was thinking about joining a gym near me but was put off by a number of things including the douche that showed me around. Last week I spoke to a buddy at work and he told me about a staff discount we get at Nuffield gyms, prob going to have a look around and join.

This thread got me thinking, I am probably one of the ineffective gym users you mentioned in this thread, not because I am trying to kid myself but because I don't have a clue what I'm doing!!

So I guess this is a cry for help, you could use your gym power for good!! I also think as a total novice the advice provided to me will help many others on the forum.

I am getting married in 18 months and would like to improve my physical condition losing weight firstly then improving everything else. Really don't have a clue where to start, all I know is more exercise is good but I would love to get some guidance from the big boys.

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 30, 2011, 11:30:44 AM »

soviet, get this and the dvd as well, read it before you join a gym

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-2nd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0976805421/ref=dp_ob_title_bk/189-7650300-7774914

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 30, 2011, 11:43:14 AM »

Strength training can help - but isn't cardio work probably a better option for losing weight? Especially in this context?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 11:45:28 AM by Jon MW » Logged

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 30, 2011, 11:54:02 AM »

no
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 30, 2011, 12:06:03 PM »

no

POTY IMO ( not being sarcastic)

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 30, 2011, 12:56:05 PM »

Gatso is spot on about the lazy f**kers in the gym.

Woodsey is talking complete gash.

It's nothing to do with not being as good as someone else.These people are just wasting their time and money by being members of a gym.

They'd get more benefit walking 2 miles to the gym, not bother training then walking home.

These people drive to the gym, waste their time on a few machines then drive home. It's just stupid and you'll never convince me otherwise.

If they are not very fit they are better doing something than nothing even if its just burning a few hundred calories. Not everyone are supreme athletes..........
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:09:45 PM by Woodsey » Logged
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #561 on: January 30, 2011, 01:23:22 PM »

It's nothing to do with not being as good as someone else.These people are just wasting their time and money by being members of a gym.

They'd get more benefit walking 2 miles to the gym, not bother training then walking home.

These people drive to the gym, waste their time on a few machines then drive home. It's just stupid and you'll never convince me otherwise.

If they are not very fit they are better doing something than nothing even if its just burning a few hundred calories. Not everyone are supreme athletes..........

I read somewhere that nationally, on average, people who live in first floor flats live longer than the others in the building.

This is apparently due to the fact that they are the ones who frequently take the stairs. It's only a small amount of exercise a couple of times a day, but it does make a difference.

The older I get, the better I was.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 30, 2011, 01:43:38 PM »

I read somewhere that nationally, on average, people who live in first floor flats live longer than the others in the building.

This is apparently due to the fact that they are the ones who frequently take the stairs. It's only a small amount of exercise a couple of times a day, but it does make a difference.

The point I was making and I think the point Gatso was making was that these people are wasting their time and money being at a gym.

What you say here helps to illustrate that point. You're as well off walking up a few stairs a few times a day as you are signing up for a £60 per month gym membership and chilling out on a treadmill never even breaking a sweat.

People who don't put in any effort at the gym might as well not be there. They'd get the same benefit for free if they'd just adapt their lazy lifestyle a little bit.

Walk to the shops instead of drive.

Get off the bus 2 stops early.

Take the stairs instead of the lift.

Generally these people are lazy but they join a gym to make themselves feel better because then they think they're making an effort. They're just kidding themselves though.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 30, 2011, 01:54:28 PM »

no

I'm so happy if this is right because I can't do any really and it pisses me off!!

If I'm getting as much benefit from my weight training as I would from some caradio then magic Smiley

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 30, 2011, 02:07:33 PM »

The point I was making and I think the point Gatso was making was that these people are wasting their time and money being at a gym.

What you say here helps to illustrate that point. You're as well off walking up a few stairs a few times a day as you are signing up for a £60 per month gym membership and chilling out on a treadmill never even breaking a sweat.

People who don't put in any effort at the gym might as well not be there. They'd get the same benefit for free if they'd just adapt their lazy lifestyle a little bit.

Walk to the shops instead of drive.

Get off the bus 2 stops early.

Take the stairs instead of the lift.

Generally these people are lazy but they join a gym to make themselves feel better because then they think they're making an effort. They're just kidding themselves though.

I'm kinda sitting on the fence re this one.

I can see both sides.

Even if people are working ineffectively in the gym and not pushing themselves as hard as they could, at least they are doing something. They're often not working out like this because they want to be inefficient, it's because of a lack of advice and knowledge about the gym.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #565 on: January 30, 2011, 02:51:04 PM »

Even if people are working ineffectively in the gym and not pushing themselves as hard as they could, at least they are doing something. They're often not working out like this because they want to be inefficient, it's because of a lack of advice and knowledge about the gym.

Very much this. Also at least those people are in the routine of going to the gym so the step from not doing FA to going to the gym to work out proper is smaller

With regards to whether cardio is more effective than weight training, all I could find is this

http://www.fitsugar.com/Weight-Training-Can-Burn-More-Calories-Than-Cardio-8367792

This essentially states that weight training (if you're doing it properly) can be more effective than cardio

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 30, 2011, 02:57:01 PM »

Very much this. Also at least those people are in the routine of going to the gym so the step from not doing FA to going to the gym to work out proper is smaller

With regards to whether cardio is more effective than weight training, all I could find is this

http://www.fitsugar.com/Weight-Training-Can-Burn-More-Calories-Than-Cardio-8367792

This essentially states that weight training (if you're doing it properly) can be more effective than cardio

If I've got the right end of the stick here and fat/weight loss is the primary goal, then a combination of strength and cardio training is the most effective way of doing that. That pretty standard knowledge I guess though.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 30, 2011, 03:04:45 PM »

If I've got the right end of the stick here and fat/weight loss is the primary goal, then a combination of strength and cardio training is the most effective way of doing that. That pretty standard knowledge I guess though.

As far as fat/weight loss is concerned I can only go by personal experience.

By eating properly and doing weight training with no cardio whatsoever I lost nearly 3 stone in 10 weeks.

I'm not saying it can't be done any other way but I 100% know it can be done this way because I did.

My diet wasn't low calorie either, I ate loads but it was all good stuff.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #568 on: January 30, 2011, 03:05:23 PM »

Well yes, it all depends on what you're after. I was what in a woman would be described as "pear shaped" and needed to change my whole body shape. In my case strength training and toning needed to take up a fairly big part of my excersise routine (and I did 2 big cardio sessions a week). If you don't want to bulk up too much combining is definitely the best way to go. Obv cardio training is always useful simply to get the old ticker going.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 30, 2011, 03:08:31 PM »

As far as fat/weight loss is concerned I can only go by personal experience.

By eating properly and doing weight training with no cardio whatsoever I lost nearly 3 stone in 10 weeks.

I'm not saying it can't be done any other way but I 100% know it can be done this way because I did.

My diet wasn't low calorie either, I ate loads but it was all good stuff.

Sure it can be done either way tbh, but the combination of both is recognised at the most effective method. Btw, I hope you don't think I'm spouting random shyte on here. Health and fitness was my profession till I was 25, so just thought I could add something, despite me being a fat ***** now  Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 ... 146 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: