blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:21:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Evilpie's get off your lazy arse and get back to the gym diaries
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 ... 146 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Evilpie's get off your lazy arse and get back to the gym diaries  (Read 263073 times)
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: January 30, 2011, 03:10:37 PM »

They're often not working out like this because they want to be inefficient, it's because of a lack of advice and knowledge about the gym.

this is a huge problem and one that gyms ignore when it would be so easy for them to solve the problem. proper inductions are a good starting point but something that gyms now tend to not bother with. also staff should point out to people when they're doing stupidly inifficient stuff or using poor technique, it only takes a quick word and they could completely transform someone's gym experience. instead they generally just walk past. yes they tend to be helpful when asked for advice but people generally don't ask when they already think they're doing something right

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #571 on: January 30, 2011, 03:12:34 PM »

Even if people are working ineffectively in the gym and not pushing themselves as hard as they could, at least they are doing something. They're often not working out like this because they want to be inefficient, it's because of a lack of advice and knowledge about the gym.

Very much this. Also at least those people are in the routine of going to the gym so the step from not doing FA to going to the gym to work out proper is smaller

With regards to whether cardio is more effective than weight training, all I could find is this

http://www.fitsugar.com/Weight-Training-Can-Burn-More-Calories-Than-Cardio-8367792

This essentially states that weight training (if you're doing it properly) can be more effective than cardio

If I've got the right end of the stick here and fat/weight loss is the primary goal, then a combination of strength and cardio training is the most effective way of doing that. That pretty standard knowledge I guess though.

As far as fat/weight loss is concerned I can only go by personal experience.

By eating properly and doing weight training with no cardio whatsoever I lost nearly 3 stone in 10 weeks.

I'm not saying it can't be done any other way but I 100% know it can be done this way because I did.

My diet wasn't low calorie either, I ate loads but it was all good stuff.

Sure it can be done either way tbh, but the combination of both is recognised at the most effective method. Btw, I hope you don't think I'm spouting random shyte on here. Health and fitness was my profession till I was 25, so just thought I could add something, despite me being a fat ***** now  Cheesy

Oh I wouldn't call you fat...

The older I get, the better I was.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 30, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »

Even if people are working ineffectively in the gym and not pushing themselves as hard as they could, at least they are doing something. They're often not working out like this because they want to be inefficient, it's because of a lack of advice and knowledge about the gym.

Very much this. Also at least those people are in the routine of going to the gym so the step from not doing FA to going to the gym to work out proper is smaller

With regards to whether cardio is more effective than weight training, all I could find is this

http://www.fitsugar.com/Weight-Training-Can-Burn-More-Calories-Than-Cardio-8367792

This essentially states that weight training (if you're doing it properly) can be more effective than cardio

If I've got the right end of the stick here and fat/weight loss is the primary goal, then a combination of strength and cardio training is the most effective way of doing that. That pretty standard knowledge I guess though.

By eating properly and doing weight training with no cardio whatsoever I lost nearly 3 stone in 10 weeks.

I'm not saying it can't be done any other way but I 100% know it can be done this way because I did.

Sure it can be done either way tbh, but the combination of both is recognised at the most effective method. Btw, I hope you don't think I'm spouting random shyte on here. Health and fitness was my profession till I was 25, so just thought I could add something, despite me being a fat ***** now  Cheesy

Obese?  Grin
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 30, 2011, 03:13:55 PM »

Well yes, it all depends on what you're after. I was what in a woman would be described as "pear shaped" and needed to change my whole body shape. In my case strength training and toning needed to take up a fairly big part of my excersise routine (and I did 2 big cardio sessions a week). If you don't want to bulk up too much combining is definitely the best way to go. Obv cardio training is always useful simply to get the old ticker going.

I've never understood why people think like this?

Do you realise how difficult it is to bulk up and put on muscle? It takes a hell of a lot of hard work.

I've heard people saying they don't want to do weights because they don't want to develop huge muscles.

WTF!?!? It's not going to happen! It's certainly not going to happen over night.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #574 on: January 30, 2011, 03:14:29 PM »

Obese?  Grin

No, just a *****

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #575 on: January 30, 2011, 03:15:04 PM »

Work with me here...

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 30, 2011, 03:15:19 PM »

Obese?  Grin

No, just a *****

LOL Cry
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #577 on: January 30, 2011, 03:15:58 PM »

They're often not working out like this because they want to be inefficient, it's because of a lack of advice and knowledge about the gym.

this is a huge problem and one that gyms ignore when it would be so easy for them to solve the problem. proper inductions are a good starting point but something that gyms now tend to not bother with. also staff should point out to people when they're doing stupidly inifficient stuff or using poor technique, it only takes a quick word and they could completely transform someone's gym experience. instead they generally just walk past. yes they tend to be helpful when asked for advice but people generally don't ask when they already think they're doing something right

My gym (Bannatynes) is quite good. You get your induction, then they make a program up with you (and, again, show you how to use the pieces of equipment and technique etc.) then 6 weeks later you have a follow up to that. Obv you can always ask for a new program (at no cost). the main problem you have is that you can get stuck getting your induction and programs from one of the 3 women working there and, unfortunately, they don't seem to know an awful lot about how to lift weights etc. so you have to ask to get your programs from one of the guys.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #578 on: January 30, 2011, 03:17:18 PM »

I used to be able to lift evy fings.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #579 on: January 30, 2011, 03:18:21 PM »

I used to be able to lift evy fings.

Ah but in your case it's age that caught up.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 30, 2011, 03:21:18 PM »

Red Dog when he used to train..

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 30, 2011, 03:25:52 PM »

I find this very annoying.

The gym I used to train at was a proper spit and sawdust type gym.

The owner had been training for years and had helped many people at very high levels. He'd always be watching people training and would always pull them up if they were doing something wrong. He genuinely wanted people to get the most from their membership and would make sure they did.

The place I go to now don't really seem to care. As Dan says they will help people who go and ask but they don't stop people who are doing something badly.

You see it all the time from the people who've just started. They just haven't got a clue and it's probably a big reason why they'll end up quitting.

It's not their fault it's just a lack of knowledge but nobody is coming forward to provide them with that knowledge.

All it would take is for the instructors to start watching people whilst they train. They should be there to advise people when they are doing something wrong.

I know that people should ask for help if they need it but a lot of people don't realise that they actually need help.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 30, 2011, 03:27:32 PM »

Not at all mate.

Everything you say makes perfect sense.

The gash comment was a little bit tongue in cheek and followed a heavy drinking session Smiley

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #583 on: January 30, 2011, 03:28:46 PM »

I find this very annoying.

The gym I used to train at was a proper spit and sawdust type gym.

The owner had been training for years and had helped many people at very high levels. He'd always be watching people training and would always pull them up if they were doing something wrong. He genuinely wanted people to get the most from their membership and would make sure they did.

The place I go to now don't really seem to care. As Dan says they will help people who go and ask but they don't stop people who are doing something badly.

You see it all the time from the people who've just started. They just haven't got a clue and it's probably a big reason why they'll end up quitting.

It's not their fault it's just a lack of knowledge but nobody is coming forward to provide them with that knowledge.

All it would take is for the instructors to start watching people whilst they train. They should be there to advise people when they are doing something wrong.

I know that people should ask for help if they need it but a lot of people don't realise that they actually need help.

TBF if some of the regulars walk up to some of the new people that are using machines incorrectly and tell them "This is how you get more bang for your buck" the new kids just tend to tell them to F off because they're doing more weights and more reps (mainly by not doing the entire lift correctly).

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 30, 2011, 03:36:24 PM »

TBF if some of the regulars walk up to some of the new people that are using machines incorrectly and tell them "This is how you get more bang for your buck" the new kids just tend to tell them to F off because they're doing more weights and more reps (mainly by not doing the entire lift correctly).

This is the reason I won't help anyone. Generally speaking they give you a look which just says "what the f**k's it got to do with you?"

I'd love to help but it's not my job to help and obviously I'm there to train so haven't got time anyway.

The instructors however are paid to help and the newbies would be more likely to listen to them anyway. The instructors might not know as much as some of the other people there but the fact they have a t-shirt on that says 'instructor' means that people are more likely to listen to them.

I think the instructors have a responsibility to actively seek people who are doing things wrong and put them on the right track.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 ... 146 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: