blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:55:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272577 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Evilpie's get off your lazy arse and get back to the gym diaries
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 ... 146 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Evilpie's get off your lazy arse and get back to the gym diaries  (Read 262987 times)
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: January 30, 2011, 07:00:58 PM »

Well done for staying off the poker for so long mate

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: January 30, 2011, 07:06:27 PM »

A mate of mine is out in Afghanistan this is the gym they knocked up.

Click to see full-size image.

Click to see full-size image.

Got to love it but shame this stuff isn`t provided for the lads.

sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: January 30, 2011, 08:52:50 PM »

Went to have a proper look around the gym today, used the pool and also had a peep at the other facilities.  Pretty impressed.  I have signed up so am now going to be trying to join in on this thread a bit.  Like I say I'm totally clueless to gym stuff so please bear with me if I'm asking basic questions.

Going to have a health check & induction tomorrow will keep the dream team informed of how I get on.

Matt has given me a few hints and tips and I've obviously taken note of some of the stuff I have read on here.

I might start posting my weight like red dog does on his diary as I'm sure that is pretty motivating.

Looking forward to the relaxing sauna etc after walking on the treadmill for 15 mins.

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #603 on: January 30, 2011, 09:03:49 PM »

I might start posting my weight like red dog does on his diary as I'm sure that is pretty motivating.

Oh it really is. Plus you can see the damage that one slack day does.

The older I get, the better I was.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: January 30, 2011, 11:30:46 PM »

Went to have a proper look around the gym today, used the pool and also had a peep at the other facilities.  Pretty impressed.  I have signed up so am now going to be trying to join in on this thread a bit.  Like I say I'm totally clueless to gym stuff so please bear with me if I'm asking basic questions.

Going to have a health check & induction tomorrow will keep the dream team informed of how I get on.

Matt has given me a few hints and tips and I've obviously taken note of some of the stuff I have read on here.

Looking forward to the relaxing sauna etc after walking on the treadmill for 15 mins.

Best of luck mate the first part is the most daunting, when I started I had no clue whatsoever about anything and now a few months in I love training and really look forward to it. I've been logging everything I eat and do in the gym and weighing myself every Monday too.

I'm just reading back what I've eaten today and it's prob my only pretty bad day I've had in a month. The guy who helped me with my diet said to give yourself 1 day a week where you lapse on diet and this is the first time I have done properly. It's enjoyable sticking to your eating plans and training goals too, I'm now 20% of the way there to the weight one lol

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: January 31, 2011, 03:06:49 AM »

Don't be offput by going into the weights room and not being able to lift nearly as much as anyone else. This isn't just because of strength, its because you're not used to lifting weights. After a few weeks and your form gets better, you will soon start getting stronger quickly.

@GreekStein on twitter.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #606 on: January 31, 2011, 06:56:15 AM »

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: January 31, 2011, 07:09:08 AM »

Oi don't laugh!!!

Anything is better than nothing.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: January 31, 2011, 07:41:58 AM »

Oi don't laugh!!!

Anything is better than nothing.

lol whoosh

@GreekStein on twitter.

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #609 on: January 31, 2011, 09:58:55 AM »

Don't be offput by going into the weights room and not being able to lift nearly as much as anyone else. This isn't just because of strength, its because you're not used to lifting weights. After a few weeks and your form gets better, you will soon start getting stronger quickly.

Also, as the instructor who gave me my induction said, many of the guys in the weights room are able to lift heavy weights because they have bad form, and so are not using the right muscles. He said if he went in there and made them do the exercises properly, most of them would have to drop down the weights.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: January 31, 2011, 10:40:40 AM »

Yeah that's definitely true for some stuff andrew teaaaa

@GreekStein on twitter.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: January 31, 2011, 06:44:27 PM »

So today was the first day of my 50kg dumbell press challenge.

I started the session with a couple of minutes on the rower to get the blood flowing then hit the incline smith machine press.

I did 4 sets on this up to 65kg for 6 reps which I was reasonably pleased with.

After this it was on to the dumbell flat bench press. I was feeling pretty good so went straight on to the 25kg instead of 20kg as I had planned.

It turns out I guessed the weight pretty much spot on as I managed 4 sets of between 7 and 9 reps, each one pretty much to failure.

I could do a bit more with a spotter but the goal here is to be as strong as before and I didn't need a spotter back then.

I'm going to catalogue my progress in a similar fashion to Tom's weight loss. Starting weight will be in my sig below.

Every week I'll update my progress with peak weight and number of reps.

If I manage 10 reps in any one set one week I'll do the next set at 2.5kg heavier. If I only manage 5 reps I'll drop back 2.5kg.

I will only ever do 4 sets but I'll always do then after incline bench so will be fully warmed up and able to start at my max.

So session 1, 31st Jan will read 25kg x 8, 25kg x 9, 25kg x 8, 25kg x 7

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: January 31, 2011, 06:49:47 PM »

I should mention as well that my target isn't to just smash out one single uncontrolled rep at 50kg.

I want to be able to do a full set of 8 reps with good form and no spotter. This is why it could take a long time.

Once I get to 35kg which won't be too tough I'm confident that I could probably do a single rep at 50 but that's not what I want.

I want to be able to happily and confidently pick up the 50s like I did before and know that I can handle them no problem.

When I achieve this goal I will be able to happily say that I can press 2 x 50kg dumbells.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: January 31, 2011, 06:59:59 PM »

As I mentioned previously I'm going to structure my other training to help achieve the dumbell press goal.

I'll be switching my shoulder pressing to dumbells which will help with the control and balance side of things.

Obviously with dumbells you need to have 2 equally strong arms. Even though this is a chest excercise your arms take a lot of punishment and wouldn't be able to do it if they weren't independantly strong.

I'm also going to make sure that I train triceps at least once a week. Triceps training will be targetted towards the heavy compound movements rather that the light isolation movements as strength is the overall goal here.

When I train arms I'm only doing 2 sets of biceps and 2 of triceps. Arms is always planned as an extra session on a Saturday if I can make it.

To make sure I get triceps trained at least once a week I'm going to start training them with legs on a Tuesday. It'll just be 2 sets of 4 reps and I may drop it if I get in to the routine of always training on Saturdays.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: January 31, 2011, 07:03:17 PM »

The full chest session today was incline smith press, dumbell flat bench, incline flyes then pec deck.

If I left out the flyes or pec deck and slotted in another pressing excercise I'd probably hit the target sooner.

I'd like to have some decent chest definition though so I'll have to make a sacrifice.

Every now and then I'll slip in a decline smith press but the focus will mainly be the incline.

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 ... 146 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: