blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:28:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Ashton and Hape get England 6-Nations call up
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ashton and Hape get England 6-Nations call up  (Read 1439 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2010, 11:21:26 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/english/8455347.stm

Two very talented rugby league players who have moved over to union.  I know Ashton has been scoring tries a plenty for Northampton, and seems to be fulfilling his potential, and Hape was a fantastic league player who I'd imagine will be a success as a centre in union.

Any ra-ra fans have opinions about them?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 11:27:43 AM »

The recent history of League converts to the great game has been very mixed, notably Farrell and Vainokolo though it could be argued Farrell converted too late

Whereas in the past the moves the other way seemed easier to do, albeit these are a long way ago with the balance of money power so much in favour of RU these days

This would suggest that the more one dimensional nature of RL is easy to adapt to...stick it up your jumper five times, make ground then kick for position, with the occasional line break if you are lucky

Where the RL players do score highly in RU though is in defence, which the modern RU game has a premium on, it is with ball in hand that the case is unproven

That said, RU is currently being ruined by the current rule book. Even I, who played and could watch RU for ever, is rather put off by 15 phases of possession going nowhere and aimless up and unders, an up and under back and so on

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 11:36:53 AM »

I think its hard to judge Farrell as he was always injured.

Hape I have seen a few times and is and excellent player he will adapt to any form of the game. Although he is not English Smiley

Rhino's Full back Smith went to Union and I fully expect him to rise to the top over the next 18months.

I don't believe its a bad thing that League players are less complicated, I think it is what Union lacks at the mo, players that can break and have pace. Most games I have watched in Union this year are decided by penalties.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 11:38:44 AM by Acidmouse » Logged
Girgy85

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 11:44:57 AM »

The recent history of League converts to the great game has been very mixed, notably Farrell and Vainokolo though it could be argued Farrell converted too late

Whereas in the past the moves the other way seemed easier to do, albeit these are a long way ago with the balance of money power so much in favour of RU these days

This would suggest that the more one dimensional nature of RL is easy to adapt to...stick it up your jumper five times, make ground then kick for position, with the occasional line break if you are lucky

Where the RL players do score highly in RU though is in defence, which the modern RU game has a premium on, it is with ball in hand that the case is unproven

That said, RU is currently being ruined by the current rule book. Even I, who played and could watch RU for ever, is rather put off by 15 phases of possession going nowhere and aimless up and unders, an up and under back and so on

[  ] union is a  great game!

[  ] you watch a lot of league

Best poster Girgy IMO - Mantis

Girgy is my new hero! - Evilpie

Think Girgy has shown the best leopard instincts in this thread and would prob survive best in the wild. Eye of the tiger that fella - Mantis

Girgy is a m'fkn machine - Daveshoelace
thediceman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 11:48:22 AM »

Bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-kick & repeat sequence.

Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 11:49:43 AM »

ohh so kick-kick-kick-kick-pen is much better Smiley
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 11:50:04 AM »

[  ] union is a  great game!

[  ] you watch a lot of league

I watch plenty of both

Its not a debate that RL devotees and RU followers are ever going to agree on, so lets leave it at that

My eyes are open wide
dousche

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 12:43:57 PM »

jason robinson was quite good with ball in hand.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 12:46:48 PM »

Wing must be the easiest position to convert to, either way. Robinson, Offiah of course. Doubly disappointing that Vainokolo has been so clueless in Union

My eyes are open wide
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 12:51:18 PM »

Wing must be the easiest position to convert to, either way. Robinson, Offiah of course. Doubly disappointing that Vainokolo has been so clueless in Union

He like a few others was rushed into the England team way to fast before they actually learnt the game properly. At least Hape was given a good year to settle in.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: