blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:19:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272583 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Is it ever wise to call for your whole stack with nothing?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is it ever wise to call for your whole stack with nothing?  (Read 828 times)
Highstack

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2005, 10:47:13 AM »

The reason that I ask this question is because I did exactly that and lost. It was the final table of a small local competition (only 25 runners). We had a 7500 starting stack.

I raised on the button with blinds at 800/1600 to 6k total holding AQ and was called by just the big blind. The flop came down 773 and the big blind immediately moved all in.

I dwell for a while and notice him staring directly at me. This was not a reverse tell he is not shrewd enough for that and I KNOW he doesn't have the 7. I am convinced that in this spot, this player would reraise me preflop with any pocket excluding AA or KK and he would let me hang myself on the flop with either of those.

The problem was that this all-in raise was 30k and we both had similar stacks therefore putting me all-in too. There were 182500 total chips out there and this pot was 70k if I call, but with 6 players left I still have an equal share. This would allow me to pass, so I don't need to gamble.

I am convinced he is at it and the only possible hand that I think I am behind to is AK. I think a little longer and then decided to call. Of course he flips over AK. Brick, brick on turn and river and I'm out. I know it was a dumb ass thing to do in this instance, but I have made similar successful calls in the past.

My real question is do you consider this a positive move as you can be eliminated and not guaruntee winning the tournament there, but if I see 40k in the pot and a chance to collect it, then I want it.

thetank

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 11:11:48 AM »

A mathmatical analysis of this would be difficult as there is such a wide range of hole-cards that he could have.

While I'm not saying it wasn't a good call it was certainly not one that I could make. I would probably make it if offered 2-1 odds but not 7/5. I'd mutter 'bugger' then fold.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 12:16:19 PM by thetank » Logged

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 11:36:59 AM »

A mathmatical analysis of this would be difficult as there is such a wide range of hole-cards that he could have.

While I'm not saying it wasn't a good call it was certainly not one that I could make. I would probably make it if offered 2-1 odds but not 12/5. I'd mutter 'bugger' then fold.

Glad you said it Tank, I would have folded them faster than a ....... ( wait for it)

House of cards.

ok get the talcum out

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
dan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 12:09:40 PM »

While I'm not saying it wasn't a good call it was certainly not one that I could make. I would probably make it if offered 2-1 odds but not 12/5. I'd mutter 'bugger' then fold.

12/5 is better than 2/1
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 12:13:42 PM »

you know what i meant though (7/5 not 12/5)

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 12:53:45 PM »

Glad you said it Tank, I would have folded them faster than a ....... ( wait for it)

House of cards.

ok get the talcum out

I'm with the fish.

In this situation, I'm thinking about tournament survival. A shit load of chips with plenty of time to get them into the middle does not need to be risked on a hunch that he has worse than you.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: