blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:54:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  A/Q GRRRR
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A/Q GRRRR  (Read 1291 times)
Watertight

Junior

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2005, 06:16:38 PM »

Hey Guys just wondering if any one can give me a suggestion for the best way to play  As (suited) or Unsuited in tournaments. Have gone out of a few lately with the All In play using these cards , Is this bad luck or am i simply making the improper initial bet . Any Help Would be Appreciated

Gone Fishing
mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 06:31:51 PM »

As is a raising hand pre-flop from any position, but you have to be prepared to lay it down to a big re-raise. Obviously you need to know how the re-raiser likes to play.

As bit me on the bum last night, just before my shock 47 wipeout Smiley I raised from the button, the small blind an one limper complete. The flop comes down AKJ. My bet is called by the SB, who then goes all in on the non suited non 10 turn. I put him on KJ, but still called. He had KJ.

You need (and me!) to learn to lay it down. Applies to any cards, but AK, AQ, and to a lesser extent, middle pairs are easy to fall in love with yet so hard to lay down.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 08:09:13 PM »

You definately need to raise with it, not doing so will get you into trouble when you flop top pair and the one of the blinds flops two little ones. As MikkyT says it's a hand that requires a lot of judgement, you need to know when you're beat and lay this pretty puppy down.

In the later stages, it's a great hand to look down and see. It's good enough to come over the top of raises with, call someones all-in if the blinds are fairly large and it's great for making moves with short stacked.

If you've been moving in with it when you've 10 times the big blind or less left and have not been being too well don't worry. It's still the right move, can't work every time.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 08:34:19 PM »

Hi Watertight

Be careful not to overplay it...it looks pretty but if you are intending calling re-raises with it or going all in it sounds like you are getting into trouble, you'll be dominated by ak and behind any pair

By all means be the first to raise with it, but I ideally never want a call when I have done so

Apart from hitting an A or a Q on the flop (and even then it's not a sure fire thing) it's nasty to play post flop, so release quickly

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
raab11

they call me the hat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 08:38:07 PM »

no hand has got me in as much trouble as AQ.

FOLD AQ FOLD AQ FOLD AQ FOLD AQ FOLD AQ FOLD AQ FOLD AQ FOLD AQ 

well sometimes anyway....LOL

"poker is like sex, everyone thinks they are the best but most don't know what they're doing"
Dutch Boyd
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 11:29:15 PM »

Fold AQ and play 47 instead its much easier to get awat from.

Can i please ask where most of you purchase your crack from?

Dapper Street Menswear
Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 06:58:50 AM »

Is a decent enough starting hand. Just remeber its a starting hand and unless you have scare cards to the board for someone calling with a middle pair, and you have not connected. muck it unless its free to see the next card.

However if you are in a tourney where people overvalue the ace rag, put them to the test, cos they will pay you off long term.

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 12:55:42 PM »

You definately need to raise with it, not doing so will get you into trouble when you flop top pair and the one of the blinds flops two little ones. As MikkyT says it's a hand that requires a lot of judgement, you need to know when you're beat and lay this pretty puppy down.

Like last night. Still got me nowhere though Sad i just lost my few remaining chips later on instead of then Cheesy TPTK sucks.
Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 01:08:22 PM »

Like last night. Still got me nowhere though Sad i just lost my few remaining chips later on instead of then Cheesy TPTK sucks.

Yep he make top pair with top kicker, and I had cowboys in the hole. And he managed to make a good laydown ( for a change )  Although I busted him eventually.

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: