blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:12:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live Tournament Updates
| | |-+  DTD £300 DEEPSTACK ... MAY
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DTD £300 DEEPSTACK ... MAY  (Read 127922 times)
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: May 10, 2010, 06:16:14 PM »

Mantis

You need to work on your end game and closing out IMO. All those final tables and no wins......

:p

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 10, 2010, 06:34:22 PM »

i am actually interested in the polorised v value range thing here, i think it makes it easier to play to be polorised but great players would be 3 betting mantis' range with some other stuff thrown in as well.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 10, 2010, 06:36:54 PM »

i am actually interested in the polorised v value range thing here, i think it makes it easier to play to be polorised but great players would be 3 betting mantis' range with some other stuff thrown in as well.

Yes, I agree, I'm a great player and my 3bet range here is 55+ TJs +

sola virtus nobilitat
Blatch

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 10, 2010, 07:32:13 PM »

Yes, I agree, I'm the greatest player in Luton and my 3bet range here is 55+ TJs +

FYP
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 10, 2010, 07:35:50 PM »

Yes, I agree, I'm the greatest player in my house and my 3bet range here is 55+ TJs +

FYP

fyfyp

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Skgv

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 10, 2010, 07:44:40 PM »

Mantis

You need to work on your end game and closing out IMO. All those final tables and no wins......

:p
Think i might need lessons to close them out as well but i do often get ul ! On a serious note too much thought here for a £300 comp to be honest ! an it should make no differnace if it were £50,£100,£1000 e.t.c. I was at the table playing also an isnt this the best time 2 accumalte chips an get to the final wt a big chip advantage wt or wtout genuine hands? We playing 5 handed wt the two most active players at table to happen to pick preminium hands that clash! Dan could easily be 3 betting light an why not ? IS clare suppose to have a hand ? She has the chips to take control so why not raise on button an when dan 3 bets an she shoves wt ace king what hands can really call her here knowing its going to be a masive pot? 1010 JJ are tough spots but i still think dan might call here ? ace king not sure what he does here ? but even a nit like me dosnt pass way to final when i dont get cards so why do it when u getting prem hands. Obviulsy my mindset depending on bankroll or wealth makes my statergy differant as everyone knows im just aiming to win any tournament not playing to cash so therfore my logic may differ to others an maybe 5 years ago my opinions may be differant.
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 10, 2010, 10:36:32 PM »

sorry for not answering all the questions I didn't know I was supposed to be in the well this week..

Last time I played live (last Sunday) I made the f/t from 150 players, last time I played a £300 I made the f/t, last time I played a £1k I made the f/t. Range is 99+/AQ+ for the next 3 orbits at least although that may change if the dynamic changes.

Easy to see over the last few pages who's got the credible ideas and who the trolls are...

Is this your 3 bet range?

If it is then basically you're looking at letting the aggro player totally run this bubble because you aren't going to hit this range very often at all.

I assume also that without QQ+ or AK you're not looking to call a shove or shove over a 4 bet?

So effectively you're going to wait for a big hand before 3 betting and then lay it down if you come up against any resistance?

This strat is very exploitable mate especially when the blinds and antes are big.

What does 3 orbits have to do with anything? Are you trying to create a tighter image or do think it is more likely that you can pretend to have a good hand if you haven't 3 bet for a while?
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1

Ty for saving me the time of typing that exact post out.

Oh my god

I dream of the day I ever make a post and the man from Skolmonte responds like this.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 11, 2010, 12:15:01 AM »

sorry for not answering all the questions I didn't know I was supposed to be in the well this week..

Last time I played live (last Sunday) I made the f/t from 150 players, last time I played a £300 I made the f/t, last time I played a £1k I made the f/t. Range is 99+/AQ+ for the next 3 orbits at least although that may change if the dynamic changes.

Easy to see over the last few pages who's got the credible ideas and who the trolls are...

If it is then basically you're looking at letting the aggro player totally run this bubble because you aren't going to hit this range very often at all.

I assume also that without QQ+ or AK you're not looking to call a shove or shove over a 4 bet?

So effectively you're going to wait for a big hand before 3 betting and then lay it down if you come up against any resistance?

This strat is very exploitable mate especially when the blinds and antes are big.

What does 3 orbits have to do with anything? Are you trying to create a tighter image or do think it is more likely that you can pretend to have a good hand if you haven't 3 bet for a while?

You're looking at the game like it's a HU match. Why go after the CL as first choice at making chips? Sure the button will try and exploit us. And we try and exploit the shorter stacks. All this he will run the bubble if we let a bet through is rubbish. Two players can make chips at a table. We can't raise every hand if we want a credible image, so choosing the highest tariff difficulty first is senseless. We know from the pace of the game that we wont be exploited for long. So no need to dive in where every advantage is with our oppo just to prove exploitation. And yeah in a few orbits time I figure my 3bet carries more credibility. At the moment Claire says she expects a wide 3bet so 3betting wide does what your oppo expects. So you may still get exploited anyway.

It's a bit ambitious to go through a poker game thinking you will always be the one exploiting and will never be exploited. Using chips in areas where you can exploit the most and be exploited the least is a profitable strat imo. BTW if I 3bet I'm not folding, I'm just not bluffing the CL in a spot where I don't think a bluff makes a profit in the game overall. Also consider the other chaps have a range of premium and air. I just don't agree with the air bit. They've got the same range as me + a bluff that fails. You think that strat is better?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 12:17:33 AM by MANTIS01 » Logged

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 11, 2010, 12:36:44 AM »

You're looking at the game like it's a HU match. Why go after the CL as first choice at making chips? Sure the button will try and exploit us. And we try and exploit the shorter stacks. All this he will run the bubble if we let a bet through is rubbish. Two players can make chips at a table. We can't raise every hand if we want a credible image, so choosing the highest tariff difficulty first is senseless. We know from the pace of the game that we wont be exploited for long. So no need to dive in where every advantage is with our oppo just to prove exploitation. And yeah in a few orbits time I figure my 3bet carries more credibility. At the moment Claire says she expects a wide 3bet so 3betting wide does what your oppo expects. So you may still get exploited anyway.

It's a bit ambitious to go through a poker game thinking you will always be the one exploiting and will never be exploited. Using chips in areas where you can exploit the most and be exploited the least is a profitable strat imo. BTW if I 3bet I'm not folding, I'm just not bluffing the CL in a spot where I don't think a bluff makes a profit in the game overall. Also consider the other chaps have a range of premium and air. I just don't agree with the air bit. They've got the same range as me + a bluff that fails. You think that strat is better?

Thank god I'm not playing tonight otherwise you'd have tilted me.

If you 3-bet you're not folding?! Not ever? That seems real real bad. Just 3-bet with a plan.

wow you'd be easy to play against from the way you write. These £1k & £300 events that you last played and made the finals of, where they in 1974 or just FPP events?

Btw

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 11, 2010, 12:44:43 AM »

Thank god I'm not playing tonight otherwise you'd have tilted me.

If you 3-bet you're not folding?! Not ever? That seems real real bad. Just 3-bet with a plan.

wow you'd be easy to play against from the way you write. These £1k & £300 events that you last played and made the finals of, where they in 1974 or just FPP events?

Btw

Basically mantis is a nit.

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #790 on: May 11, 2010, 01:15:12 AM »

Last time I played live (last Sunday) I made the f/t from 150 players, last time I played a £300 I made the f/t, last time I played a £1k I made the f/t.

mbn

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
Skgv

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: May 11, 2010, 01:31:35 AM »

Mantis01 is not James Keys ? all getting confusing this debate?
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 11, 2010, 06:14:28 AM »

and I can see what is going to happen here

So in advance.

No flaming. Please debate civilly and with respect for others whatever their opinions.

thanks

Guys please...re deleted posts. No personal flaming or insults

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: May 11, 2010, 10:31:11 AM »

and I can see what is going to happen here

So in advance.

No flaming. Please debate civilly and with respect for others whatever their opinions.

thanks

Guys please...re deleted posts. No personal flaming or insults

In my defence I put a smiley wink thing after mine thus making it ok.

Mantis also knows that I actually like him and that any light hearted name calling is tongue in cheek.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: May 11, 2010, 12:24:51 PM »

OK so Mantis you complained of contributing all the actual strategic content to this thread (unfortunately for those reading it) but now you've stuck your neck out a bit and given us a range and some semblance of a strategy then I'll try to return the favour.

This situation is all about leverage, the idea that you can force someone to a commitment decision using a relatively small number of chips. The button has a lot of leverage on you in the big blind because of all the short stacks and the final table bubble. I know you're feeling the leverage because even facing just a simple 2.7x button raise you're thinking about protecting your stack and problems with <88/AJ etc and basically wanting to give up on this situation entirely, curl up into a ball in the corner and wait till the bubble has burst. I don't blame you, it's perfectly healthy to be cautious at this stage. The problem with your strategy as described is that it plays right into the button's hands. I'm assuming you don't just muck 88 and AJ so I guess you must be flatting them and other similar hands, but now the leverage is even worse on the flop and you're just playing fit or fold, you're gonna be check folding a lot of flops and with your mid strength hands when you do go with a flop and get called, you'll often be in pretty bad shape. The straightforward, level 1 adjustment to make when the button has leverage on you like this is to play tighter, but there are often other, better adjustments that can be found.

Example problem: A certain villain never folds flop to cbets

Level 1 adjustment: Stop cbet bluffing, value bet more.
Level 2 adjustment: Value bet more but bluff just as often, double barrel more.

It is finding these better, more aggressive adjustments that separates the players who crush from the grinders who never move up. In our situation, you as the bb can exert nearly as much leverage back on the button because of your big stack, since their losing all in to us is nearly as much of a disaster for them as busting out is for us. A 3bet from then ought to make the button feel like they may have to commit their whole stack to get to a showdown and hopefully that should discourage them from calling. However, in this case you have mentioned a number of times in your posts that our read on the button said they would call 3bets so perhaps they won't be discouraged as we'd hoped. No matter:

Problem: Villain calls most 3bets

Level 1 adjustment: Stop 3bet bluffing
Level 2 adjustment: 3bet a merged range of premiums and hands that flop well, then make a leveraging cbet a very high percentage of the time

So, if the button calls our 3bet to 75k, there's 160k in the middle and we have 375k effective, a cbet of 80k (or even less) will force the button to a commitment decision on the flop. If they call that, we can shove the turn. If we do that with a balanced range of bluffs and value bets, say we're only bluffing 30% of the time on the turn if it gets that far, slightly more on the flop and slightly more preflop, our opponents are gonna be tied up in knots, no? Also, because this strategy is well balanced and aggressive, I don't have to worry what people I've never played before know about my game through talking to mates/reading forums etc, whereas with your strategy, ok it's fine while no-one knows what you're doing, but if someone knows your strategy they're gonna exploit you to death in those first 3 rounds while you're "building an image".

Just so I don't get hoisted by my own petard, my 3betting range would probably be something like 22+ AK, with some suited 1-gappers thrown in there. I would only  flat suited connectors and good broadways.

You say the key is leverage and that is theoretically so in a vacuum. The actual key is the fact the button, Claire, expects the bb to be 3betting fairly wide before she opens. We know that to be a fact. But it's no great surprise tbh, I would expect the bb to be 3betting fairly wide, you would expect the bb to be 3betting fairly wide, the bb Morgan? says he would be 3betting fairly wide. So this leverage point you're talking about is no great secret.

That said talk to me about your plan for opening the button when you expect the bb to be 3betting wide? Because that's actually the key in this hand. I would suggest that you could apply everything you've just said in reverse if you open from the button and as expected get 3bet. For your strat to be effective the button must be opening without expectation or a plan and that just isn't the case. My 4-bet jam range would be wider than my 3bet range so eg those 8's you mention I would definitely 4bet jam from the button where I wouldn't 3bet from the bb. If I'm not prepared to do that there seems little point opening 8-8 from the button vs someone I expect to 3bet wide. So you can see it's not about curling up and dying on the bubble even if it suits your purpose to portray my strat as weak. It also suits your strat to suggest the button only ever calls. This is a level 3 adjustment btw.

It's all good with the banter as well Tighty. We're having fun right?

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: