blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:42:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  pocket jacks at DTD
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: pocket jacks at DTD  (Read 2200 times)
the rage

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2010, 09:55:51 AM »

DTD 100 World cup comp
I managed to satellite into this game. Things were going reasonably well. Since moving tables i'd won and lost a couple of small pots. I'd recently shoved with QQ, taking a pot down pre flop, following a min raise and two flat calls.
 blinds were approx 400/800/100. nine handed.
Villian has approx 26k. I have approx 21k (which is about average, 37 runners left)
 In the relatively short time that i had been at the table villian had not been very active.
 Viliain UTG+1 raises to 2200.
 I am in the Cut Off with  .
It folds around to me. I was pretty much ready to shove, but decided to flat call instead.
The flop comes  two hearts
Villian checks
I bet 4400
Villian re-raises All In.
How should i proceed from here and should i have played the hand differently from the start. All advice appreciated. Cheers. Smiley
buzzharvey22

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 10:01:15 AM »

probably getting it in pre if u only have 25bb's.

if u flat you can never been folding on this flop, if he has you beat then meh whatever,its cooler.
Leatherman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 10:16:47 AM »

probably getting it in pre if u only have 25bb's.

if u flat you can never been folding on this flop, if he has you beat then meh whatever,its cooler.

This...

Satellite King
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 10:28:01 AM »

Raise to 7 pre....call now.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 12:41:37 PM »

I think shoving preflop is just about okay with 4k in the middle.

I think a flat is okay because if we're going to 3bet we may as well just shove really.

Never folding on this flop...

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 02:07:43 PM »

fold, your preflop range is purely pairs, villain knows this and doesnt expect you to fold, so, voila, fold...............
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 02:19:25 PM »

your preflop range is purely pairs, villain knows this and doesnt expect you to fold

I don't agree with this. Villain perceives we're only flatting with pairs? Villain doesn't expect us to fold? We have taken a stab at a pot in position, not exactly showing our intent to go with the hand with this bet.

It's not a great spot, I might be able to lay down tens, but I feel like Jacks are too strong. He could have 88/TT and broadway hearts, and he might play AA more coyly on this safe board?...

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
piestack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 02:32:27 PM »

you've made it hard for yourself. it's the best hand you could possibly have which means you probably have to call even though i would like to fold. need more info on opponent. 'not very active' doesn't mean much. if that's all you have to go on just call super fast and instantly turn your cards over with a big smile on your face so if you're infront no one will ever try to bluff you again.
BulldozerD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 02:33:41 PM »

i quite like it, now call
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 02:52:43 PM »

If you have any intentions of bet folding you could do it a lot cheaper than this, say 3k. Betting 4.4k out of your remaining 18.5k and then not knowing what to do is what sucks here. Are you're bluffing with Jacks or betting for info or what? Villain thinks you would bet less or check with a 9 or deuces full, and it's quite likely you would raise with an overpair pre flop (as you were considering). So the flat pre and biggish 4.4k bet gets villain thinking you don't have the top of your range, pairs maybe, but not overpairs, hence he can jam, hence you can call.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 10:23:02 PM »

Should have 3bet pre but still never folding

the rage

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 10:50:12 AM »

When i bet the flop i'm thinking that i'm probably ahead. Possibly up against AQ, AK, 88, TT etc. The flop looks pretty good for me, so i'm betting for value  and also to 'protect' my hand against overcards. I'm slightly concerned about the possible flush draw, my usual default bet size would be about half the pot, but i bet a bit more because i don't think that a hands with a flush draw, and probably overcards, is going to fold here. I'm thinking that if villian calls my bet on the flop and another heart, or overcard doesn't appear on the turn i will probably be getting all of my chips in on the turn. To be honest, when i bet, although the flop seems pretty good, i'm happy to just take the pot down there and then, hence my possibly too large flop bet.
 When villian Check-raises all-in, i'm obviously no longer feeling so confident about the strentgh of my hand. Why would he re-raise all in now? I think that he's unlikely to have a 9, If he has an overpair, tough shit, i just feel that the flop is just too good for me to fold here. I came to the concusion that the most likely hands for villian would be  or  , followed by 88-AA.
  Anyway, i called and villian showed  for a set of nines.
 At the time i was pretty gutted, feeling that i had made a terrible call. Judging from the feedback, the call wasn't too bad.
 In hindsight, i think i should have definitely shoved them all in pre-flop. At the time, i just felt that my stack might be a bit too big to be shoving with, particularly with the button and the blinds still to act.
 I read somewhere, i think it was Jake Cody, giving a tip for beginners, saying 'If in doubt choose the agressive option' I think that's a damn good peice of advice. I'm frequently getting in situations where the initial cautious line of play, ultimately gets me into difficult situations.
 At the moment, i feel that if i could play pocket jacks perfectly every time i would probably be the best poker player of all time. Thanks for ALL of the replies. I will keep practising. Smiley

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 11:01:35 AM »

Just unlucky mate, you have to call, comedy interesting open from UTG+1.

Also goes to show that villain probs wasnt overly thinking about what a range is, let alone what yours may have been.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 11:13:58 AM »

K9 is probably villain's 'favourite' hand...

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 11:44:51 AM »

When i bet the flop i'm thinking that i'm probably ahead. Possibly up against AQ, AK, 88, TT etc. The flop looks pretty good for me, so i'm betting for value  and also to 'protect' my hand against overcards. I'm slightly concerned about the possible flush draw, my usual default bet size would be about half the pot, but i bet a bit more because i don't think that a hands with a flush draw, and probably overcards, is going to fold here. I'm thinking that if villian calls my bet on the flop and another heart, or overcard doesn't appear on the turn i will probably be getting all of my chips in on the turn. To be honest, when i bet, although the flop seems pretty good, i'm happy to just take the pot down there and then, hence my possibly too large flop bet.
 When villian Check-raises all-in, i'm obviously no longer feeling so confident about the strentgh of my hand. Why would he re-raise all in now? I think that he's unlikely to have a 9, If he has an overpair, tough shit, i just feel that the flop is just too good for me to fold here. I came to the concusion that the most likely hands for villian would be  or  , followed by 88-AA.
  Anyway, i called and villian showed  for trip nines.
 At the time i was pretty gutted, feeling that i had made a terrible call. Judging from the feedback, the call wasn't too bad.
 In hindsight, i think i should have definitely shoved them all in pre-flop. At the time, i just felt that my stack might be a bit too big to be shoving with, particularly with the button and the blinds still to act.
 I read somewhere, i think it was Jake Cody, giving a tip for beginners, saying 'If in doubt choose the agressive option' I think that's a damn good peice of advice. I'm frequently getting in situations where the initial cautious line of play, ultimately gets me into difficult situations.
 At the moment, i feel that if i could play pocket jacks perfectly every time i would probably be the best poker player of all time. Thanks for ALL of the replies. I will keep practising. Smiley

fyp Smiley

Blue text
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: