blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:29:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272600 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  martin o'neill
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: martin o'neill  (Read 5093 times)
CelticGeezeer

Viva la Quinta Brigada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2010, 07:12:26 PM »

Proper manager, board sell players from under him he resigns, he was too good for them anyway.

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." - Dom Helder Camara
Josedinho

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2010, 07:22:56 PM »

Kinboshi and Baron nail this. Spent alot and never delivered Champions League football. He has to be realistic.
Over rated and obiously not up to the challenge. Villa are better off without him.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 07:32:30 PM »

Sorry, I disagree massively with you all here.

All the players he spent big money on: Milner, Downing and Young are wirth considerably more than what he paid for them.

He turned Agbonlahor and Barry into international class players.

His teams have played very good, attractive football.

He is excellent with the press and public.

I think he is a tremendous manager.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2010, 07:48:43 PM »

Kinboshi and Baron nail this. Spent alot and never delivered Champions League football. He has to be realistic.
Over rated and obiously not up to the challenge. Villa are better off without him.

LOL yeh ok

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2010, 07:52:35 PM »

quality manager.

will replace fergie imo

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2010, 07:54:19 PM »

All the players he spent big money on: Milner, Downing and Young are wirth considerably more than what he paid for them.

Agree with the first bit except Downing. Buying young and English usually has the increased value effect though. (Unless you are Wenger, in which case stick to non-Brits! lol) What about Davies (£8m), Reo-Coker (£8.5m) Sidwell (£5.5m) Shorey (£4-5m) Luke Young (5m?) Cuellar (£8m?) Delph (£6m) Warnock (£8m) Collins (£5m)

Barry has been picked by 7 different England managers and Agbonlahor was on fire for England at junior level. Whilst I'm sure he helped their careers he did not turn either into anything except maybe Barry into a CM when he was widely regarded as a left sided player. (ie I love that Rafa realised Carragher was a CB but to say he wouldn't have made it but for Rafa being manager is crazy.)

I don't really subscribe to Villa playing the beautiful game either.

He's an awesome man manager and motivator but he rotated far too little (how many times without winning a game in the month of March and imploding in the last 10 games of the season?) and was sometimes tactically naive - especially versus the better managers at top 4 clubs.

I think he did a good job but did not over achieve one iota at Villa.
Josedinho

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2010, 08:01:30 PM »

What about Harweood, Reo-Coker, Sidwell, Shorey, Cueller and Davies? I reckon he spent £30-35mil on these players. They're worth less than half that now.
He let Whittingham go for next to nothing and also let Cahill go for way below what he's worth now.
Villa have a net spend of 14mil  a season for the last 5 years. Where does that money come from? Does he expect the chairman to finance it with no end and no expectation of a trophy or champions league football.
He has made some good signings but i think you have to be realistic and realise that the money spent has to come from somewhere and if he doesn't get champions league then selling players for huge profit will help.
They are obviously better off without him as if he didn't relish the challange of progressing despite losing their best player than he isn't the manager people thought.
Fergie didn't walk after Ronaldo went. He relished the challange of building a team without him.
rossfourfive

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2010, 08:21:15 PM »

If Young has been sold by a director of football or whoever without MON being consulted then he's every right to walk. Buying and selling of players needs to be controlled completely by the manager. Directors of football are a complete waste of money and space IMO.
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2010, 08:31:18 PM »

If Young has been sold by a director of football or whoever without MON being consulted then he's every right to walk. Buying and selling of players needs to be controlled completely by the manager. Directors of football are a complete waste of money and space IMO.

Even if a bid comes in that resembles more than 10-15% of the value of the club?

(ie Kaka going from £107m to £56m in 6 months because a manager said no... Ferguson getting to turn down £80m for Ronaldo when Utd are £600m in debt... Anyone believing Milner is worth close to £30m lol)
brummieboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2010, 09:18:47 PM »

What about Harweood, Reo-Coker, Sidwell, Shorey, Cueller and Davies? I reckon he spent £30-35mil on these players. They're worth less than half that now.
He let Whittingham go for next to nothing and also let Cahill go for way below what he's worth now.
Villa have a net spend of 14mil  a season for the last 5 years. Where does that money come from? Does he expect the chairman to finance it with no end and no expectation of a trophy or champions league football.
He has made some good signings but i think you have to be realistic and realise that the money spent has to come from somewhere and if he doesn't get champions league then selling players for huge profit will help.
They are obviously better off without him as if he didn't relish the challange of progressing despite losing their best player than he isn't the manager people thought.
Fergie didn't walk after Ronaldo went. He relished the challange of building a team without him.

Don't forget £6 million on Zat Knight, £3 million for Habib Beye, Salifou and of course that 20 goal a season man Heskey for five million.
He bought a lot of quality English youngsters but spent greatly over the odds to get them, £12 million for an injured Downing, £12 million for Milner, £9 million+ for Young, £6 million for Delph.
Under his and Lerners stewardship over the last four years Villa have gone from being in good shape with no debts to being over £100 million in debt.
Great man manager/motivator but also had his favorites and not the best tactician.
Think were were a good fit and cant see him doing well at a so called bigger club as he doesn't like the bigger profile players, he likes players he can polish and bring through himself, might be way off there.
Very selfish on his part with his timing but I'm sure they'll be more to it coming out over the next few days. 

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2010, 09:34:23 PM »

Don't forget £6 million on Zat Knight, £3 million for Habib Beye, Salifou and of course that 20 goal a season man Heskey for five million.
He bought a lot of quality English youngsters but spent greatly over the odds to get them, £12 million for an injured Downing, £12 million for Milner, £9 million+ for Young, £6 million for Delph.
Under his and Lerners stewardship over the last four years Villa have gone from being in good shape with no debts to being over £100 million in debt.
Great man manager/motivator but also had his favorites and not the best tactician.
Think were were a good fit and cant see him doing well at a so called bigger club as he doesn't like the bigger profile players, he likes players he can polish and bring through himself, might be way off there.
Very selfish on his part with his timing but I'm sure they'll be more to it coming out over the next few days. 

THIS

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Teacake

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2010, 09:43:53 PM »

THIS

Which bigger profile players doesn't he like?
brummieboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2010, 09:49:48 PM »

Agree with the first bit except Downing. Buying young and English usually has the increased value effect though. (Unless you are Wenger, in which case stick to non-Brits! lol) What about Davies (£8m), Reo-Coker (£8.5m) Sidwell (£5.5m) Shorey (£4-5m) Luke Young (5m?) Cuellar (£8m?) Delph (£6m) Warnock (£8m) Collins (£5m)

Barry has been picked by 7 different England managers and Agbonlahor was on fire for England at junior level. Whilst I'm sure he helped their careers he did not turn either into anything except maybe Barry into a CM when he was widely regarded as a left sided player. (ie I love that Rafa realised Carragher was a CB but to say he wouldn't have made it but for Rafa being manager is crazy.)

I don't really subscribe to Villa playing the beautiful game either.

He's an awesome man manager and motivator but he rotated far too little (how many times without winning a game in the month of March and imploding in the last 10 games of the season?) and was sometimes tactically naive - especially versus the better managers at top 4 clubs.

I think he did a good job but did not over achieve one iota at Villa.

Great post, still can't believe how he gave up in Moscow a couple of years ago, spent a fortune following them around Europe that year.
brummieboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2010, 09:52:54 PM »

Two managers to leave a club partly over the sale of Milner,wonder if Villa will suffer the same fate as we did 

Seriously though I do think they may well struggle this season without O'Neill plus if Milner and others leave.

I think we were going to struggle more this season even before todays resignation.
Still have enough to send you down in April again though. ;0)
brummieboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2010, 09:56:07 PM »

Everything's going to be ok Big Fat Ron has just been seen driving towards Villa Park.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: