blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:47:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The Best In The Business
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 563 564 [565] 566 567 568 569 ... 599 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Best In The Business  (Read 1425489 times)
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #8460 on: March 05, 2017, 02:03:54 AM »

Is there a point moneywise - possibly a % of your net worth
That if all the graphs were going downhill and you were knocking it in big time personally n staking wise that you would think
Fk this I'm stopping n calming down n going on your own again - as in just you playing on your own dime ?

Really tough one to answer without sounding like a prick, but it should be close to impossible to lose from this point.  

If it did get to the stage where we fucked up big time it would probably leave very big mental block and would most likely go into live cash games I think, the reason being that it would mean the competition has gotten so good that j likely wouldn't stand a chance to be a huge winner because of computers/bots etc

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #8461 on: March 07, 2017, 02:09:27 AM »

Played really good today after last weeks **** show. Turned off Skype, discord, all browsers and music and just tuned in all day to the tables. Had some kinda disappointing deep runs

13th party 530
18th party 530
6th whale (6-7k$)
2nd 109r (6-7k$)
18th $1k stars (4k)

and a few other decent runs. Was very happy, won't play again this week until Sunday.

Looks like the badgers have bricked pretty hard today, but one guy left out of 17 in the snuday mill, so hopefully that converts so we start the month in the green.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #8462 on: March 07, 2017, 02:31:15 AM »

Ok, we need a little bit of help.

We are going to do a bitB boot camp April 24th-29th, we found an amazing place for it: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/7272678?guests=16&adults=16&check_in=2017-04-24&check_out=2017-04-29

The problem is, it only has room for 16 people, so isn't feasible as theres going to be around 25 of us.

So, if anybody would have any recommendations for an amazing place for us to go, good location, good places to stay, makes sense in terms of airport etc that would really be amazing. I'll give 5% of every tourney I play on Party next Sunday if we choose the one you recommend.

We were thinking Spain/France/Italy would make sense, good weather, usually easy to get to etc. But we're open to other places for sure.

SOS!

DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #8463 on: March 07, 2017, 03:03:14 AM »

Vilassar de Mar just up the coast from Barca has nice places and decent internet. Beaches/restaurants to chill and 30 minute taxi from the airport and the middle of the city. You'll probably struggle getting something for 25  but you'll find a couple of 12/16 sleepers within 5 mins walk of each other no problem

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8464 on: March 07, 2017, 10:03:21 AM »

Butlins

You're welcome
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #8465 on: March 07, 2017, 10:49:55 AM »

I've used Owners Direct for our last two holidays and it allows you to specify 25 guests - these look rather nice from a quick search:

https://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p483937
https://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p1978190
https://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p6739784
https://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8171661
https://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p89677
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #8466 on: March 07, 2017, 11:27:33 AM »

Butlins

You're welcome

Ha, was thinking Thornwick Bay campsite on top of Flamborough Head.  We pitched our tent there one year and a gale blew through.  Absolute carnage in the middle of the night as half the tents went over the cliff.  Will be the making of them all. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Killerkilsby

View Profile
« Reply #8467 on: March 07, 2017, 11:31:21 AM »

Ive used this company for stag dos before, always good treatment and no hidden extras.

http://www.groupaccommodation.com/properties/la-finca-del-nino-southern-spain - This ones got rustic decor and is a cluster of 3 8 bed villas all on the same plot

http://www.groupaccommodation.com/properties/cortijo-estacada-de-las-cabras-seville-spain - more modern and 1 huge 11 bed villa.

http://www.groupaccommodation.com/properties/marbella-palace-villa-cancelada-marbella-andalucia - most luxury by far, awesome location and scalable to invite others for dinner etc (can actually cater up to 50) but sleeps 20-30
Killerkilsby

View Profile
« Reply #8468 on: March 07, 2017, 04:18:32 PM »

Ive used this company for stag dos before, always good treatment and no hidden extras.

http://www.groupaccommodation.com/properties/la-finca-del-nino-southern-spain - This ones got rustic decor and is a cluster of 3 8 bed villas all on the same plot

http://www.groupaccommodation.com/properties/cortijo-estacada-de-las-cabras-seville-spain - more modern and 1 huge 11 bed villa.

http://www.groupaccommodation.com/properties/marbella-palace-villa-cancelada-marbella-andalucia - most luxury by far, awesome location and scalable to invite others for dinner etc (can actually cater up to 50) but sleeps 20-30

More I look at the bottom one the more I realise its totally balla and amazing. Cinema and pool rooms too!
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #8469 on: March 07, 2017, 08:23:39 PM »

Monthly bitB home games running, very fun!

Click to see full-size image.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #8470 on: March 08, 2017, 01:27:21 AM »

thx Arb/Booder

Amazing attention to detail Pads in your business.  No wonder it is a success compared to numerous other staking 'enterprises' which were run on the back of a postage stamp effectively.  Lovely read that was.  thanks for posting.  Enjoyed it.

Yeah if I'd realised you were going to do it properly I probably wouldn't have said you were an idiot for doing it.

If you'd stuck solely to playing poker on your own with no interaction with other poker players where do you think you would've been now? Do you think you would be more or less successful in your poker playing career? Do you think you would've made more money if you'd stuck to playing rather than shifting some focus to staking and other ventures? Obviously you would've had fewer friends / associates but what about the Mrs? Would you still have met her?

If I isolated myself from friendships/relationships then I'd 99% just be travelling around doing the live super high roller / high roller scene, seeing more of the world, playing very big buy ins, trying to run it up like Fedor did. I've basically stopped playing live poker now, I wen't somewhat hard last year and had great runs etc, but now, at least long term it wont be a priority. I've said this probably 10+ times now, but I think that I'm 100% suited to playing live poker compared to online poker and would say if you took like the top 200 online guys roi expectation in the sunday million and the top 200 live guys expectation in the wsop main, I would be ranked way higher in the wsop main/ept main than the sunday million.

In 2016 I made $600k ish from playing poker, and that was with sacrificing a lot of the time to doing business stuff, but then again, I ran good in some spots etc too.

There is a good chance that I could have $5m in the bank and a good chance I could be stone broke if I went on that live circuit/grinding route. I know that deep down, somewhere I have one really destructive and degenerate blood cell just waiting to pop. Fortunately I haven't really come too close to huge disaster like people like Ben Warrington, Marc Wright etc did but I would be lying if I said it was 0% something like that could happen to me. I think one of the luckiest things that has happened in my poker career is I've never once been overly degenerate at all and have always had pretty good self control, but again, I'd put that down to my support groups, parents, gf, friends that keep me somewhat down to earth. If I was travelling between Macau/Monaco/Vegas and staying up 24 hours a day on drugs etc then its very possible I could have made some decent life mistake.

Anyway regarding the future and poker. I'm pretty happy to basically play 1 day a week, try and play well, try and get lucky and if I'm not lucky not be the end of the world. Kinda similar to how a proper businessman looks at it I guess. I want to do really well in the big series like SCOOP/WCOOP and Powerfest thats where my entire drive is currently. Playing outside of that I don't have the drive really, it means my sample size will be really small and it will come down to luck if I make money or lose money. I can't really be too disappointed and likewise can't think I'm the dogs bollocks if I win or lose $100k in 2017 playing poker. I'll go on runs like the 3 party ft's in the same day and likewise I'll go on runs where I play 4 sundays in a month and lose 5k each Sunday. I actually start playing on Sundays at 8pm these days instead of 2pm like back in the day. So my sample sizes are even smaller.

Because of my position in bitB, its very important I stay ahead of the curve though, luckily I have the best players in the world coaching every week and I get to see the results of study of 70 really hungry guys and use my experience to kinda put it all together and realise what works.

My big drive poker wise is May 7 - May 20. I wont take a day off, I will really enjoy waking up every day to play, thats probably my 2 favourite weeks of the year. I won't go to Vegas, I'll stay in Europe and focus on maximising profits for bitB.

I had huge pressure on myself previously to succeed. I cared so much how you guys thought of me, "wow pleno had a losing month? is he running bad or was he just running good" "wow have you seen pleno won this tournament? he must be up so much" these two different kind of things would be what really gave me motivation and drive for so long, now the motivation is for people to say "wow pleno's stable is the best in the world" and its easier in a way ton achieve that than playing poker which is revolved so much around variance.

My biggest challenge will be the first "post poker" challenge that I take on. I look forward to blogging about that too.

Sorry for overly long message Matt, was meant to be 1-2 paragraphs Cheesy

Don't apologise, thank you for making the effort to post such a detailed response.

I really find this fascinating I have to say especially seeing the staking game being ran as a proper business. Long may it continue Smiley

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #8471 on: March 08, 2017, 02:15:46 AM »

+1 to Group Accommodation, we list our gaff on their. You then get to deal with owners direct normally.

We also use a site call Kate & Toms but they are more UK based.

If you think of doing one in the UK pads give me a shout.

I own this gaff www.plascolwyn.co.uk and we are looking at another (also North Wales though) that will sleep 32 in their own beds. - Hot Tubs, Table Tennis Table Pool/Snooker Table/Cinema Room In house chef if needed etc etc gonna be shit hut.

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #8472 on: March 08, 2017, 06:00:19 AM »

Literally have so much drive and enthusiasm for the next challenge that I want to do.

I just wrote an email and the first paragraph read:

"Hi,

My name is Patrick Leonard, I'm 28 years old and currently retired, but in 10 years I'm going to be a manager in the premier league."

I really want to pursue coaching and management to a professional standard. I'm not sure what the best way to go about it is though. Different options initially were to write stand out email to one of

- professional football clubs academy
- non league semi professional teams
- universities

From there I would hopefully get a gig somewhere and gain experience as a coach/assistant manager kind of role. The new season starts after July so between then and now I would fast track all coaching badges to the absolute maximum I could and try and gain as much knowledge as possible.

I looked into the closest university to me and ridicuously they have this potentially amazing football coaching course which is partnered by Chelsea FC. The university is literally around the corner from my house.

http://www.stmarys.ac.uk/foundation/football-coaching-and-development/

So now another option would be to potentially do this course and learn lots of new things and pick up some contacts. Any suggestions what people think?

I know this sounds crazy and stupid, but I'm very serious about devoting a significant part of my time and my life to this over the upcoming years, close friends know I always speak about it, but I wouldn't say this proeprly unless I meant it. I want to do this and I don't like failing in this kind of thing.

Any recommendations what people think? Best ways to do it? Thoughts on the course?

scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #8473 on: March 08, 2017, 08:44:06 AM »

Buy a club in the 10th tier.

Or buy a club in Scotland.  Do a Gretna but don't implode once you reach the SPL. Think they went from non league to SPL in 5 years.

Sure you could find plenty of investors/partners.

Will be an epic new chapter.
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #8474 on: March 08, 2017, 11:02:11 AM »

Buy a club in the 10th tier.

Or buy a club in Scotland.  Do a Gretna but don't implode once you reach the SPL. Think they went from non league to SPL in 5 years.

Sure you could find plenty of investors/partners.

Will be an epic new chapter.

That's not a bad idea. There was an article this week about Paul Konchesky joining Billericay FC and their new owner being happy to invest a few grand a week to shoot for promotions.

On the practical side, you could pass the Level 2 badge in a couple of weeks through your local County FA and then it's a case of being accepted onto a national Level 3/UEFA B course which don't run too often and require access to an 11v11 side.
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 563 564 [565] 566 567 568 569 ... 599 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: