blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:20:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  christianity and poker
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: christianity and poker  (Read 15270 times)
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 02:38:32 PM »

Tbh, I only think that people who are serious about being christians can give you a proper answer to this........
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 02:46:04 PM »

Tbh, I only think that people who are serious about being christians can give you a proper answer to this........

Really? I reckon they are probably the least qualified as they are bound to have interpreted the bible (usually in any way they see fit) whereas those who are not Christians can go with what the bible actually states.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 02:50:07 PM »

Really? I reckon they are probably the least qualified as they are bound to have interpreted the bible (usually in any way they see fit) whereas those who are not Christians can go with what the bible actually states.

If its about Chrsitianity and poker and whether they fit, how the hell can anyone who not a Christian give you a real perspective on it?
bhoywonder

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 02:51:01 PM »

I wonder if there is a degen poker room in Hell...apparently that's where I'm going...I was at a adult baptism last night....n asked the ministers views.....

He reckons its immoral n therefore a sin...n I,d have to justify myself to god...errr

I'm off to have a well done steak on the ol fire n brimstone

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
bhoywonder

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 02:58:50 PM »

On a sidenote...apparently...n I,ve seen it there is a passage in the bible that talks of recognition...those that go to heaven...don't remember anything of their mortal life...no memories...no meeting deceased friends n family...

Reason being...heaven is about happiness n contentment...n it sure would spoil your eternal euphoria if u knew someone that wasn't in heaven n thus downstairs with the devil in Hell..

Possibly playing him Hu at 6 card Omaha hi/lo

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 02:59:38 PM »

If its about Chrsitianity and poker and whether they fit, how the hell can anyone who not a Christian give you a real perspective on it?

But even Christians don't agree on many things and make the bible fit their own ideas/lifestyle.
In the case of poker, yeah you can see a Christian can give you their perspective on it...but their perspective might have nothing to do with what it actually states in the bible.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 03:05:15 PM »

But even Christians don't agree on many things and make the bible fit their own ideas/lifestyle.
In the case of poker, yeah you can see a Christian can give you their perspective on it...but their perspective might have nothing to do with what it actually states in the bible.

So what? Its still their perspective, that's all that matters in relation to the original question. Whether it states it or not in the bible is irrelevant............
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 03:10:14 PM »

There is no part of the bible that states that gambling is illegal or immoral.

But there are obviously many aspects of gambling that clash with certain passages.

There are no parts that forbid the use of condoms, giving blood or donating organs, etc., but some christian churches feel very strongly about these issues. 

Many passages of the bible talk of a god who uses genocide and supports the idea of racial superiority - playing cards shouldn't really be a problem in light of that.

lol..organ donation being mentioned in the bible would be a bit unlikely, no?

If there is a god, you'd reckon he'd have said something beyond the scientific knowledge of the time, knowing it would show is power, omnipotence, etc.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 03:10:40 PM »

But there are obviously many aspects of gambling that clash with certain passages.

Must admit that often when I gamble I feel as though something has clashed with one of my passages.

^^^ Deserves more love.

I'm not sure I want to show Matt's passage more love tbh.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 03:16:19 PM »

There are no parts that forbid the use of condoms, giving blood or donating organs, etc., but some christian churches feel very strongly about these issues. 

Many passages of the bible talk of a god who uses genocide and supports the idea of racial superiority - playing cards shouldn't really be a problem in light of that.

If there is a god, you'd reckon he'd have said something beyond the scientific knowledge of the time, knowing it would show is power, omnipotence, etc.

He might have done btu whoever wrote all the stuff done probably thought "Well, he's clearly babbling now and I can't be fecked with this shit at the moment so fuck it, I'll just write about the stuff I understand"

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 03:21:32 PM »

He might have done btu whoever wrote all the stuff done probably thought "Well, he's clearly babbling now and I can't be fecked with this shit at the moment so fuck it, I'll just write about the stuff I understand"

Nah, can't be that.  It's god's word.  Says so in the bible.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 03:25:49 PM »

Nah, can't be that.  It's god's word.  Says so in the bible.

Yeah but, you know...sometimes when you've had a long hard day/week at work you're a bit tired and just can't be fecked. I reckon that that's what happened. even god needs a nap sometimes, you know...and he hadn't invented Red Bull yet.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 03:27:54 PM »

This might have been an interesting thread if the usual threadfuckers hadn't got involved.......... Cool
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 03:31:33 PM »

This might have been an interesting thread if the usual threadfuckers hadn't got involved.......... Cool

You, boldie and me?

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 03:33:54 PM »

You, boldie and me?

Cheesy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: