blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:29:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Prose from a Poshboy
Pages: 1 ... 1304 1305 1306 1307 [1308] 1309 1310 1311 1312 ... 1316 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prose from a Poshboy  (Read 2544352 times)
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #19605 on: January 19, 2023, 10:27:28 AM »

Good to play with you Alex, glad to see the diary back.

You too mate. How did you get on in the 6max?

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19606 on: January 19, 2023, 10:36:55 AM »

oioi, great to hear from Mondy.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #19607 on: January 19, 2023, 10:55:18 AM »

Thanks Ray, great to hear from you. I remember good times together in Marbella 2011! Do you still play yourself?

I'm not sure whether it's soothing to know it may all be variance, or frightening to know it could go on for a good while yet!

Hence my plan to balance out tournaments this year with as much cash as I can during the tournament stops, and play less side events.

Yeah great times, I caught up with Mitch at EPT London a few months back and couldn't believe how long it had been. I haven't played for 7-8 years now, still involved in poker, but grinding days are definitely behind me.

Re variance, yeah sometimes ignorance is bliss Smiley

I can't get my head around how absurd the variance in live poker is when you consider these numbers, of course, edges are bigger, but it's nothing something I know much about.

<3 at tikay
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19608 on: January 19, 2023, 01:06:59 PM »

Someone hack Ray's account? Wink

Nice to hear from you Monda. Newcastle doing ok these days...

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #19609 on: January 19, 2023, 04:53:48 PM »

I did spot you at DTD on the Friday and the Monday, but wasn't sure you'd even know who I was so didn't say

OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #19610 on: January 19, 2023, 07:09:46 PM »

Good to play with you Alex, glad to see the diary back.

You too mate. How did you get on in the 6max?

7th for a weekend clearer.  Albeit from 2/7….
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #19611 on: January 19, 2023, 11:27:34 PM »

Thanks Ray, great to hear from you. I remember good times together in Marbella 2011! Do you still play yourself?

I'm not sure whether it's soothing to know it may all be variance, or frightening to know it could go on for a good while yet!

Hence my plan to balance out tournaments this year with as much cash as I can during the tournament stops, and play less side events.

I just think Stars has been tough for a long time.  My Winamax/Stars charts are like yours, but with bigger absolute values.  Think it is easy to burn money quickly on Stars just because of the choice of games, you can't ever tilt reg 5 higher stakes comps in 5 minutes on Sky for example. 

Good luck with your progress and may the juicy games return.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #19612 on: January 21, 2023, 07:25:03 AM »

I landed in Cyprus yesterday. It's quite the setup here - they send a car for you from the airport from the Southern side Larnaca, taking you to this incredible 5 star all inclusive resort on the Northern side, ALL paid for - IF you play an average of 6 hours cash per day.

I managed that no problem yesterday, only cost me $8k - awesome!

The rake is very high (3% capped at $300) and from what I saw yesterday, the quality of the games does NOT make up for that - but early days...It's an interesting business model.

I was play 25/50 and was winning 14k right off the bat with three skillfully played Aces, AK and K high flush.

Unfortunately I lost every hand for the following 6 hours, without doing too much wrong I don't think. These days, mistakes don't come from blunders too often, but letting my frequencies get out of line. For example, if I'm supposed to squeeze a weaker hand like infrequently, say <25% of the time - I find if I'm tilted I'll find a reason to make that 100%.

This tendancy exacerbates the already present notion that if you're losing - as your opponents will be winning, they'll be feeling confident in their decisions, you'll look like you're chasing, tilted, you've turned over a few bluffs, or made a few bad calls etc.

The opposite is true when you're winning - you're more intimidating to play against if you're winning every hand, turning over nuts after nuts, your opponents are more inclinded to stay out of your way generally.

Something to keep a check on. Also, in high raked full ring tables, you're supposed to play absurdly tight preflop which I could probably improve on. Apparently you can't defend your bb with ATo / Q9s, KJo vs UTG 2.5x anymore!

I'll play the $3k main event tomorrow I expect.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19613 on: January 21, 2023, 08:54:24 AM »

Loving this Alex, explaining stuff which had never occurred to me, although of course i never played at the levels financially or skillwise, that you do. I hope you keep it coming.

"5 star all-inclusive resort". Thanks to my job, I was twice sent to an all-inclusive 5 star resort in the Dominican Republic a few years ago. What a thing to be able to eat anything, drink anything, & never spend a penny. Sometimes we run so good in life that it feels unfair.

VBOL in the $3k affair.     

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #19614 on: January 21, 2023, 01:07:48 PM »

What and enjoyable and fascinating read.
 Thank you for sharing and the very best of luck in all future endeavours

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #19615 on: January 27, 2023, 12:22:12 AM »

I'm navigating tricky waters at home these days. We're in somewhat unfamiliar territory with Daniel being in school now and me having to travel to play poker. So I'm trying to strike the right balance of time at home and actually making a living. If I'm away working between 1/4 and 1/3 of the year, by my calcs, in terms of EV, we'll cover our expenses (obviously with huge variance) and that is what Viktorija is happy with - maintaining rather than growing. The greedy side of me wants to do better than breakeven, but I do hate missing moments with Daniel and if I really asked myself what's important to me in life, then that would be it.

With that in mind, I came home a day early from Cyprus and surprised them both which was lovely.

I enjoyed the trip. The cash games got worse if anything, but I quite enjoyed the battle of playing tough high stakes games and testing myself. It's rewarding to be able to put into practice the work I've been doing, since in soft field tournaments, I'm often playing largely exploitatively.

Two hands defined the trip.

First one was from the $3k main event, day two and I've got about 270k to start the hand with from 100k starting stack. Blinds are 2k/3.5k

Cutoff opens to 8k and Btn 3bets to 23k. Both are recreationals and playing way too many hands. Btn dubbed himself "The best rebuyer in Kuwait". You'll see why...

I have in the small blind. Really dicey spot. Could argue for all three options against these two, but in the end I came up with 4bet to 62k. Only my man from Kuwait on the button calls.

and I check it over to KW. He bets 75k. OK...rather large sizing. I'm calling and calling allin on almost every turn I think.

. Definitely calling on this one. Check, Allin, Call. Oh I have one out...He turns over !

Better luck on cash...

I was sat on the left of a very active Asian reg for 2 sessions in a row and he's the only reg that opens for 3.5x when everyone else is min or 2.5x. In this rake structure in a tough game, I'm 3bet or folding vs an open, esp a bigger open - so we had a dynamic and had played dozens of 3bet pots together over 2 days which is pretty unusual in live poker.

He opens BTN $175 and I 3bet SB $950 with , he calls, we are about $10k effective.

I bet $500 and he calls

three clubs I check, he bets $1700 I call

I check he bets $6k and I call, he mucks.

This pot was on my last night and in the last hour - and got me out of the hole for the trip. It was huge morale. Writing it down now it doesn't seem that interesting a hand, but it was a key moment and I was really happy to get the decision correct and as I said, it was the difference between a small win and a -5figure losing trip.

4 days at home now and then Paris for another short trip.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19616 on: January 27, 2023, 09:39:42 AM »

Thanks Alex, hopefully we can look forward to a postcard from Paris.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #19617 on: January 27, 2023, 11:58:30 AM »

Loving this Alex, explaining stuff which had never occurred to me, although of course i never played at the levels financially or skillwise, that you do. I hope you keep it coming.

"5 star all-inclusive resort". Thanks to my job, I was twice sent to an all-inclusive 5 star resort in the Dominican Republic a few years ago. What a thing to be able to eat anything, drink anything, & never spend a penny. Sometimes we run so good in life that it feels unfair.

VBOL in the $3k affair.     

+1

Super interesting stuff.

Have to love a get out at the last minute pot!

Best of luck in Paris.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19618 on: January 27, 2023, 05:42:24 PM »

Nice write up.

Bon chance in Paris Alex.

The older I get, the better I was.
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #19619 on: February 22, 2023, 08:50:14 PM »

Sorry been so crap with updates lately. There’s actually been no poker since Cyprus. I didn’t go to Paris in the end. Brownie points at home with mrs birthday, valentines etc - was the right play I think!

Just landed in LA though and am playing the hustler stream tonight. 25/50/100 win the button.
 https://www.youtube.com/live/vqIJaioNm_M

Let’s do a win

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Pages: 1 ... 1304 1305 1306 1307 [1308] 1309 1310 1311 1312 ... 1316 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: