blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:03:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Prose from a Poshboy
Pages: 1 ... 1175 1176 1177 1178 [1179] 1180 1181 1182 1183 ... 1316 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prose from a Poshboy  (Read 2544186 times)
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #17670 on: October 30, 2014, 02:07:50 AM »

Surprised at people suggesting bars/restaurants. Seems like the nut worst thing to do in my opinion.
There is a reason the main people who open restaurants are chefs, already rich people and idiots open resturants.

Please expand on this. Seems a fairly narrow minded thing to say

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #17671 on: October 30, 2014, 06:01:16 AM »

Pubs in Peterborough are struggling / closing since the smoking ban
It's a 24/7 job
Your whole life becomes a goldfish bowl for all to comment on
If you open a city centre bar it's mainly weekend trade  then lots of pissed up youngsters
Restaurants I'd imagine can be very fickle
Property is a good investment or it has been - a friend is buying a house to rent to his son initial deposit £25 k once the lender realised it's to rent they wanted £20 k more ??
It's not easy to find a business that you enjoy running and is a success otherwise lots more would do it ? Surely

Whatever you do Alex good luck it's been great following your adventures
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #17672 on: October 30, 2014, 09:47:50 AM »

Surprised at people suggesting bars/restaurants. Seems like the nut worst thing to do in my opinion.
There is a reason the main people who open restaurants are chefs, already rich people and idiots open resturants.

Bars/resturants are a real tough slog. If your just an investor and not actively involved i would probably steer well clear. Obviously yes you can make a good run at either of these like you can with anything but in my opinion the effort/money/risk required is not worth it.

I really want to open my own restaurant/pub, but I don't want to do it to make me money. I want to do it once I have money as my hobby because I really don't see it as a solid/secure income stream. I will try and expand on this later once I have a bit more time.

Obviously there is not going to be one solid answer for Alex/anyone but I think he's going around it in the right way firstly that he's thinking about it and asking advice

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #17673 on: October 30, 2014, 10:16:34 AM »

Bars/resturants are a real tough slog. If your just an investor and not actively involved i would probably steer well clear. Obviously yes you can make a good run at either of these like you can with anything but in my opinion the effort/money/risk required is not worth it.

I really want to open my own restaurant/pub, but I don't want to do it to make me money. I want to do it once I have money as my hobby because I really don't see it as a solid/secure income stream. I will try and expand on this later once I have a bit more time.

Obviously there is not going to be one solid answer for Alex/anyone but I think he's going around it in the right way firstly that he's thinking about it and asking advice

Can confirm its tough, my family are in the game and have a few places. Many years ago it was a lot easier as competition wasn't that hot, but everybody else has stepped up now amd there are a lot of good places to go in most areas.

You seem to get a lot of people that randomly come into the industry and buy a place with little or no experience, they are always the ones to go skint first because they don't know what they are doing.

One of the big issues is that you basically need to be there 24/7 to oversee everything, if you aren't standards drop, and if you do 1 bad meal out of 100 everyone will hear about it and not the other 99.

It's also a huge advantage if you as the boss can do everything required including cooking, ideally a trained chef, as boss you need to be there checking quality and making sure what come out is up to scratch.
jezza777

View Profile
« Reply #17674 on: October 30, 2014, 02:09:24 PM »

There is no doubt that running a restaurant bar is really tough. The level of consistency and quality you have to show to deliver and grow a hospitality business is very high. The market is highly competitive and your competitors are generally very good at what they do these days. Customer expectations are 100 times higher than they were even 5 years ago. You need to be (or pay someone to be) an expert in everything from recruitment, customer service , health and safety , food safety ,marketing ,  social media ,the list goes on for ever.......

To say there is no money in it is not true tho there are plenty of people making good money , both as investors and operators.

It's pretty much like poker; to win you have to play the game better than everyone else.

Jez

Mondeoman

View Profile
« Reply #17675 on: October 30, 2014, 03:46:31 PM »

yeah but the reality is nobody has that person to sit with them 24/7 and teach them how to play. you taught yourself everything, had the right approach, the right way to deal with risk, when to slow down whilst keeping life ev.

obviously if you or i had somebody who's sole objective was to teach us to be better at poker we'd be way further ahead (and richer!) than we are now.

wcgrider for example took in this kid in Vegas who moved to be a dealer and had never played poker before and within 8 months (i think?) he was playing 10knl online and beat Ivey HU in the 25k in vegas.

cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #17676 on: October 30, 2014, 03:50:01 PM »

yeah but the reality is nobody has that person to sit with them 24/7 and teach them how to play. you taught yourself everything, had the right approach, the right way to deal with risk, when to slow down whilst keeping life ev.

obviously if you or i had somebody who's sole objective was to teach us to be better at poker we'd be way further ahead (and richer!) than we are now.

wcgrider for example took in this kid in Vegas who moved to be a dealer and had never played poker before and within 8 months (i think?) he was playing 10knl online and beat Ivey HU in the 25k in vegas.

Nearly there mate, 41 posts to go. Reserve 10% please.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Mondeoman

View Profile
« Reply #17677 on: October 30, 2014, 03:51:54 PM »

Yep going for the long con - nobody will suspect the guy who took 5 years to get 300 posts
Mondeoman

View Profile
« Reply #17678 on: October 30, 2014, 03:52:14 PM »

That was a pm right?
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #17679 on: October 30, 2014, 03:59:40 PM »

You cannot just start talking to yourself either to get to 300.

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #17680 on: October 30, 2014, 04:16:18 PM »

To say there is no money in it is not true tho there are plenty of people making good money , both as investors and operators.

It's pretty much like poker; to win you have to play the game better than everyone else.

Absolutely spot on IMO.

Like you say, consumers nowadays have such an accurate grasp on the true value of things and the standards people expect are just so high, and the presence of things such as trip advisor, yelp etc make it very tough as well, people think tripadvisor is about getting good reviews, it isn't at all - it's about not getting bad ones, no one gives a f**k about good reviews, it's a very cynical industry nowadays.

It's challenging, and a lot fun - that was what you wanted right?!

If you want a safe solid investment, but a house and rent it out, 5% a year yield and you'll struggle to ever do your money, you want something more exciting and potentially lucrative then there is gonna be some risk... Get stuck in!!!!

titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17681 on: October 30, 2014, 04:20:11 PM »

You cannot just start talking to yourself either to get to 300.

old people are very forgetful!
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #17682 on: October 30, 2014, 05:03:22 PM »

#Invalid YouTube Link#

randomly came across this today, did you know it was "isildur" at the time? how was he playing? ridiculous?

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #17683 on: October 30, 2014, 05:07:54 PM »

probably need to take out the s of the https bit in link?

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #17684 on: October 30, 2014, 05:12:13 PM »

randomly came across this today, did you know it was "isildur" at the time? how was he playing? ridiculous?

Ha lol yeh good times. A few people suspected it at the time, making jokes calling him Isiludur etc. He was just a hilarious person. After he got this through he was saying "ha im so spewy, many times you call there, many times Ace King, many times you call haha".

He played very aggro as you'd expect. It was just awesome to watch. Pretty sigh that I was working on 2 hours sleep after grinding at the Vic till 9am, cos I didn't pay attention a floor instruction to not deal another hand and got taken off and put on cash games. That was final 3 tables with Ivey still in as well, was loving it.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Pages: 1 ... 1175 1176 1177 1178 [1179] 1180 1181 1182 1183 ... 1316 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: