blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:42:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Manchester United, that didn't last long. Seven up
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 ... 242 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Manchester United, that didn't last long. Seven up  (Read 490050 times)
c4ught

View Profile
« Reply #1200 on: February 06, 2013, 07:45:44 AM »

david3103

View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: February 06, 2013, 08:04:33 AM »

Thanks

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: February 07, 2013, 01:42:58 PM »

This was posted in the Liverpool FC thread...

Really good to see Liverpool getting there.

Not just for the fact that they took points off City today, but also because I'd rather have a genuine rivalry with Liverpool than the sheikhdom or the oilgarch's playthings

Lol - cos Man United never buy success do they?

I get a bit tired of this debate, with ill-informed folks accusing United of 'buying success' as though they've never built a team, nor developed a following or a stadium that generates a level of income that means that we can spend some money on bringing players in.

We earned the right to spend on players, we didn't wake up one morning and discover that the local millionaire steelworks owner had decided to spend his millions on us; nor that some dodgy russian businessman wanted somewhere to spend his cash; and don't get me started on the club that went from being owned by a disgraced foreign politico to becoming a sheikhdom.

So yes, we use our money to acquire players - but, to use a poker analogy, we can use our big stack to bully the rest because we won those chips earlier in the game. We didn't just turn up at the final table with a load of chips that someone else decided to give us.

jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: February 07, 2013, 01:48:47 PM »

This was posted in the Liverpool FC thread...

Really good to see Liverpool getting there.

Not just for the fact that they took points off City today, but also because I'd rather have a genuine rivalry with Liverpool than the sheikhdom or the oilgarch's playthings

Lol - cos Man United never buy success do they?

I get a bit tired of this debate, with ill-informed folks accusing United of 'buying success' as though they've never built a team, nor developed a following or a stadium that generates a level of income that means that we can spend some money on bringing players in.

We earned the right to spend on players, we didn't wake up one morning and discover that the local millionaire steelworks owner had decided to spend his millions on us; nor that some dodgy russian businessman wanted somewhere to spend his cash; and don't get me started on the club that went from being owned by a disgraced foreign politico to becoming a sheikhdom.

So yes, we use our money to acquire players - but, to use a poker analogy, we can use our big stack to bully the rest because we won those chips earlier in the game. We didn't just turn up at the final table with a load of chips that someone else decided to give us.

+1 Very well put.

What do I get, no sleep at night.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: February 07, 2013, 01:50:17 PM »

So you're good at marketing and get lots of people who have never been to Manchester to support you for no other reason than they like to cheer a winning team.  And for that reason you should be able to buy whoever you like but City/Chelsea can't.

I bet you are a big advocate of FFP.  What an exciting league it will be when only Man United can buy the best players.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: February 07, 2013, 01:55:17 PM »

I really don't like Chelsea or Man City for that matter, so I'm not getting into an argument on their behalf, and have a lot of respect for Ferguson.

But it is mildy irritating when Man Utd fans come over all virtuous about how their team is built, especially when the reasoning is that it is built on the revenue received from fans who live hundreds of miles from Old Trafford.  These fans are figures of pure comedy.

Just be honest that your club buys success just like City, Chelsea, Barca and Madrid and people might take you a bit more seriously.

That is all I'll say on the topic. 
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: February 07, 2013, 02:02:23 PM »

So you're good at marketing and get lots of people who have never been to Manchester to support you for no other reason than they like to cheer a winning team.  And for that reason you should be able to buy whoever you like but City/Chelsea can't.

I bet you are a big advocate of FFP.  What an exciting league it will be when only Man United can buy the best players.

Never seen a Liverpool shirt on a Norwegian? Or someone from Essex?

It's not about marketing. As Ralph Waldo Emerson once said "If you build a better mousetrap the world will beat a path to your door".

By the way, it's not about the glory-hunters either. The global respect and support for Manchester United pre-dates the Ferguson years. We marked just one of the reasons for that yesterday.

EDIT -  I wrote this before I read your most recent post. I'll just add, having read that... Did we buy Giggs, Scholes, Butt, Neville G and Neville P?
Cleverley, Wellbeck, Evans?
96 ex-MUFC Academy players have full international caps, the academy is demonstrably the best in the country and has been for decades.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 02:08:44 PM by david3103 » Logged

smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: February 07, 2013, 04:12:12 PM »

I wish the owners of Tata Steel would hurry up and buy out Scunthorpe Utd. Would love to see Real Madrid and Barcelona playing champions league in Scunny

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: February 07, 2013, 04:37:30 PM »

I wish the owners of Tata Steel would hurry up and buy out Scunthorpe Utd. Would love to see Real Madrid and Barcelona playing champions league in Scunny

If only Ian Botham had shown you some love, maybe a tour and a game against FC Catalunya would have happneded! Tongue

smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: February 07, 2013, 04:39:57 PM »

If only Ian Botham had shown you some love, maybe a tour and a game against FC Catalunya would have happneded! Tongue
ha ha. He still shows the club respect and love. Tweets about us n everything

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: February 07, 2013, 04:59:28 PM »

ha ha. He still shows the club respect and love. Tweets about us n everything

But no walk for Scunthorpe, now that would be love Wink

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: February 07, 2013, 05:32:58 PM »

"I wrote this before I read your most recent post. I'll just add, having read that... Did we buy Giggs, Scholes, Butt, Neville G and Neville P?
Cleverley, Wellbeck, Evans? 96 ex-MUFC Academy players have full international caps, the academy is demonstrably the best in the country and has been for decades."

Yes you have youth players.  You also steal other clubs youth prospects like Giggs I believe.  And you stole Eagles from Watford.

And don't hold up Wellbeck as a shining light.  In 2 years time he'll struggle to get into West Brom's team once Ferguson realises he is bobbins.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: February 07, 2013, 07:02:52 PM »

"I wrote this before I read your most recent post. I'll just add, having read that... Did we buy Giggs, Scholes, Butt, Neville G and Neville P?
Cleverley, Wellbeck, Evans? 96 ex-MUFC Academy players have full international caps, the academy is demonstrably the best in the country and has been for decades."

Yes you have youth players.  You also steal other clubs youth prospects like Giggs I believe.  And you stole Eagles from Watford.

And don't hold up Wellbeck as a shining light.  In 2 years time he'll struggle to get into West Brom's team once Ferguson realises he is bobbins.

sigh... selective memory dungbeetle. i won't trawl for examples but it's a million that LFC don't have form for similar acts.
the sad truth here is that you opened a debate based on me saying something positive about Liverpool in an attempt to score points against us. it went the same way that your team's attempts did this season....

jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: February 07, 2013, 10:46:07 PM »

Only Giggs, but we didn't really steal him, it's what he wanted..

jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: February 07, 2013, 10:46:52 PM »

We lost a few too, David Platt, to name one.

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 ... 242 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: