blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:19:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Manchester United, that didn't last long. Seven up
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 ... 242 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Manchester United, that didn't last long. Seven up  (Read 490314 times)
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: February 08, 2013, 10:02:01 AM »

"I wrote this before I read your most recent post. I'll just add, having read that... Did we buy Giggs, Scholes, Butt, Neville G and Neville P?
Cleverley, Wellbeck, Evans? 96 ex-MUFC Academy players have full international caps, the academy is demonstrably the best in the country and has been for decades."

Yes you have youth players.  You also steal other clubs youth prospects like Giggs I believe.  And you stole Eagles from Watford.

And don't hold up Wellbeck as a shining light.  In 2 years time he'll struggle to get into West Brom's team once Ferguson realises he is bobbins.

sigh... selective memory dungbeetle. i won't trawl for examples but it's a million that LFC don't have form for similar acts.
the sad truth here is that you opened a debate based on me saying something positive about Liverpool in an attempt to score points against us. it went the same way that your team's attempts did this season....

Not sure who you think I support but I have a general distaste for the attitudes of all "big" teams, and in fact grudgingly respect Man Utd more than the others due to the fact they at least attempt to develop their own players, and the longetivity of the Ferguson project.  I am merely saying that we shouldn't pretend that Man Utd don't blow most other teams away in terms of spending cash. 
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: February 08, 2013, 10:02:47 AM »

Man Utd gave David Platt a free transfer.  Not the same as poaching another club's rising talent!
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: February 08, 2013, 10:09:58 AM »

"I wrote this before I read your most recent post. I'll just add, having read that... Did we buy Giggs, Scholes, Butt, Neville G and Neville P?
Cleverley, Wellbeck, Evans? 96 ex-MUFC Academy players have full international caps, the academy is demonstrably the best in the country and has been for decades."

Yes you have youth players.  You also steal other clubs youth prospects like Giggs I believe.  And you stole Eagles from Watford.

And don't hold up Wellbeck as a shining light.  In 2 years time he'll struggle to get into West Brom's team once Ferguson realises he is bobbins.

sigh... selective memory dungbeetle. i won't trawl for examples but it's a million that LFC don't have form for similar acts.
the sad truth here is that you opened a debate based on me saying something positive about Liverpool in an attempt to score points against us. it went the same way that your team's attempts did this season....

Not sure who you think I support but I have a general distaste for the attitudes of all "big" teams, and in fact grudgingly respect Man Utd more than the others due to the fact they at least attempt to develop their own players, and the longetivity of the Ferguson project.  I am merely saying that we shouldn't pretend that Man Utd don't blow most other teams away in terms of spending cash. 

Apologies if I'm wrong, I had taken your post on the Liverpool thread as being indicative of support for them.

I can see that that may have been wrong and withdraw the rubs about pointscoring.

All other aspects of my case remain unchanged. The 'United buy success' accusation is one of the more irritating wrongly held views in football.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: February 08, 2013, 10:28:12 AM »

David, why do you think RvP left Arsenal to go to Utd. Is it financial or to win stuff or a combination of both. Do you think he would have gone if Utd were only prepared to pay him half the salary he earned with the Gunners?

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: February 08, 2013, 10:30:38 AM »

David, why do you think RvP left Arsenal to go to Utd. Is it financial or to win stuff or a combination of both. Do you think he would have gone if Utd were only prepared to pay him half the salary he earned with the Gunners?

I think you answered your own question here Jason.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: February 08, 2013, 10:33:17 AM »

It's both - and it's the lure of playing for United too. Seems likely that if it was just the money he'd be at City where he'd have had a fair chance of the odd trophy.

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: February 08, 2013, 10:44:54 AM »

David - the fact that Man Utd buy success is not debatable.  When Ferguson built his first winning team he bought the best domestic player in each position - Pallister, Bruce, Irwin, Ince, Keane, Phehan, Hughes etc.  And subsequently they were in the market for all the best players that came available Van Nistelrooy, Cole, Yorke, Veron, Staam, Ferdinand, Van Persie etc.  The fact that they had one golden generation of home grown players does not alter this fact.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: February 08, 2013, 10:58:41 AM »

David - the fact that Man Utd buy success is not debatable.  When Ferguson built his first winning team he bought the best domestic player in each position - Pallister, Bruce, Irwin, Ince, Keane, Phehan, Hughes etc.  And subsequently they were in the market for all the best players that came available Van Nistelrooy, Cole, Yorke, Veron, Staam, Ferdinand, Van Persie etc.  The fact that they had one golden generation of home grown players does not alter this fact.

Yes, some top players were acquired over time. But, and this is always my major point here, they bought them with money that the club had generated.

Interesting to look at the wiki page for that first season of the Premier League - 22 clubs, 4 managed by Scots, 1 by a Welshman, 1 Irish and the rest? All English...

jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: February 08, 2013, 01:03:42 PM »

Not in the last 5 years or more, even Stoke spent more net on players than we have..

What do I get, no sleep at night.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: February 08, 2013, 01:07:17 PM »

Transfer spend league table for the past 5 years

http://transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/transfer-league-table-last-five-seasons.html

It's ordered by net spend (which is how you get Stoke spending more)

Man Utd are 7th on net spend, but even on gross spend a fleeting glance means I think they'd still only be 6th

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: February 08, 2013, 01:24:55 PM »

http://transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/transfer-league-table-last-five-seasons.html

Man Utd are 7th on net spend, but even on gross spend a fleeting glance means I think they'd still only be 6th

No surprises that the oligarchy and the sheikhdom are top, but the scale of their net spend is staggering.

jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: February 08, 2013, 01:27:27 PM »

Was just looking for that, thanks.

77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1227 on: February 08, 2013, 01:51:30 PM »

id like to see the same table but for wages.

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: February 08, 2013, 01:56:26 PM »

id like to see the same table but for wages.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9514149/Graphic-Premier-League-transfer-and-wage-spending-from-the-200001-season-to-201112.html

deep in two small online comps so no time to do much commentary

jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: February 08, 2013, 02:01:32 PM »

glgl, sn for a rail?

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 ... 242 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: