blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:23:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Manchester United, that didn't last long. Seven up
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 229 230 [231] 232 233 234 235 ... 242 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Manchester United, that didn't last long. Seven up  (Read 484674 times)
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #3450 on: January 23, 2020, 08:25:21 PM »

I got his 'gag' but would like to know what man u fans are wanting out of the season hence my questions.

Obviously buying a striker to keep us scoring seems attractive, but Leicester play to Vardy’s strengths and I’m not sure we can adjust to suit him quickly enough to make it worthwhile. Even if Brendan would be at all willing to let him go.

I’ve been a fan for 50+ years so short term results are less important to me than seeing a team which has a core of home grown players in it. Over 4000 games across 73 years our match day squad has included at least one academy graduate. Rashford burst onto the scene as a result of Martial injuring himself in the warm up and the Rashford story began.
Time for Greenwood to take his chance as a starter maybe.

I can’t see the club opting to tank the season, but it wouldn’t be the worst thing to happen if it did. As an eternal optimist I still have hopes of a Europa win and CL football next year. Yeah, I know, but...

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: January 23, 2020, 08:29:51 PM »

I am curious to know if any of them really thought at any time or still think that OGS is actually the right man for the job.

To me, a somewhat impartial observer he always looked way out of his depth, even after his good start.

I reckon I could have replaced maureen and improved the atmosphere/results at OT.

We know never know tbh because he is managing a mid table quality squad of players in the modern day EPL.   He is overachieving in 5th currently but its a 'fake 5th' because of the tiny points total this season.  He is probably achieving what he should be with this squad but it won't be enough for the plastics who demand success.  I get the feeling the club are using him as a 'cheap' short term fix to bring the kids on then when they are closer to their prime a heavy hitter will come in and take over which is why it makes sense to 'tank' this season for me.  They have an roughly equal chance of getting champions league next year from the Europa league or thee EPL top 4 spot on the betting.

Sod the plastics, OGS/Phelan/Carrick have what is needed for me.

PS Ralph, you could have improved the atmosphere and results at The Library too. It ill behoves you to crow about OGS when Arteta is still in his honeymoon period.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: January 23, 2020, 08:36:11 PM »

Given the equal likeliehood of each outcome i think the optimal approach is to 100% focus on the EL, tank the league and either way you don't have to play Thurs night next year with the same chance of being in the CL. 
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: January 23, 2020, 08:57:29 PM »

I got his 'gag' but would like to know what man u fans are wanting out of the season hence my questions.

Obviously buying a striker to keep us scoring seems attractive, but Leicester play to Vardy’s strengths and I’m not sure we can adjust to suit him quickly enough to make it worthwhile. Even if Brendan would be at all willing to let him go.

I’ve been a fan for 50+ years so short term results are less important to me than seeing a team which has a core of home grown players in it. Over 4000 games across 73 years our match day squad has included at least one academy graduate. Rashford burst onto the scene as a result of Martial injuring himself in the warm up and the Rashford story began.

I can’t see the club opting to tank the season, but it wouldn’t be the worst thing to happen if it did. As an eternal optimist I still have hopes of a Europa win and CL football next year. Yeah, I know, but...

Fans only care about this homegrown soppiness when they ain't winning anything.
We were the same with SWP when we were shite.

When you're winning trophies and successful, you really don't care if they are from Stockport or Sudan.

Best Bitter.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: January 23, 2020, 09:02:01 PM »

I am curious to know if any of them really thought at any time or still think that OGS is actually the right man for the job.

To me, a somewhat impartial observer he always looked way out of his depth, even after his good start.

I reckon I could have replaced maureen and improved the atmosphere/results at OT.

We know never know tbh because he is managing a mid table quality squad of players in the modern day EPL.   He is overachieving in 5th currently but its a 'fake 5th' because of the tiny points total this season.  He is probably achieving what he should be with this squad but it won't be enough for the plastics who demand success.  I get the feeling the club are using him as a 'cheap' short term fix to bring the kids on then when they are closer to their prime a heavy hitter will come in and take over which is why it makes sense to 'tank' this season for me.  They have an roughly equal chance of getting champions league next year from the Europa league or thee EPL top 4 spot on the betting.

Sod the plastics, OGS/Phelan/Carrick have what is needed for me.

PS Ralph, you could have improved the atmosphere and results at The Library too. It ill behoves you to crow about OGS when Arteta is still in his honeymoon period.

Even the great man himself said this week that we lost our soul when we left The Library.

I'm hardly crowing David, as we don't even have a string of good results to crow about bar that win against your lot.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: January 23, 2020, 09:17:09 PM »

Wolves goal moves them into 5th!  Would a United fan prefer Wolves to win here to busto the scousers unbeaten streak or stay in the top 5 with a Liverpool win?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 09:20:01 PM by arbboy » Logged
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: January 23, 2020, 10:49:07 PM »

Wolves goal moves them into 5th!  Would a United fan prefer Wolves to win here to busto the scousers unbeaten streak or stay in the top 5 with a Liverpool win?

I’d take 10th if it meant Liverpool not winning the league. I’d take 17th if Leicester got it instead.

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: January 23, 2020, 10:52:24 PM »

When you're winning trophies and successful, you really don't care if they are from Stockport or Sudan.

Hogwash.

Besides SWP wasn’t homegrown.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: January 23, 2020, 11:02:15 PM »

Liverpool need 27 points from 15 games or Man City win out for them not to win the league.   It is not a big price they win their next 9 games if you look at the fixture list for them.

WHam x 2, Norwich, Soton, Watford, Bournemouth, Everton, Palace and the ninth game (away at Man City).   It isn't a huge price they go into Man City game with 8 on the bounce.  They basically have to have Arsenal form for the rest of the season even if MC win out.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: January 23, 2020, 11:38:11 PM »

Hogwash.

No he wasn't. We only picked him up cos Forest deemed him to be too small. Their loss was our gain.

Ultimately, why would anyone really care where Player X got their football education?
There are no real tangible benefits once you've crossed the white line.

This whole 'united have had an academy player in the squad for 8 million games in a row' stuff is obv something you're proud of, but if you were running away with the league like Liverpool are, or City were 2 years ago, I bet you wouldn't even be batting an eyelid at that stat.

I guess when you've got an utter laughing stock of a manager and squad, you'll cling onto anything that takes your attention off the guff being served up on the pitch.

Best Bitter.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: January 23, 2020, 11:39:42 PM »

Man City's next 8 EPL games are as follows just for balance:  Tough to pick a softer and harder schedule for the two contenders.  The fixture computer certainly hasn't been kind to City.  Their last 6 games are all against bottom sides when effectively they will be totally meaningless.  Locked in the top 4 but can't win the league.   This probably makes them a cracking bet for the other cups.   They are probably worth a sell on the spreads for their total season points as they will probably go off a lot bigger for some of these meaningless games at the end of the season than they should be.

Spurs away
WHam home
Leics away
Arsenal home
Man Utd Away
Burnley home
Chelsea away
Liverpool home

It's totally possible the league is over in March way before the Liverpool Man City clash.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 11:57:31 PM by arbboy » Logged
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: January 24, 2020, 08:57:38 AM »

Hogwash.

No he wasn't. We only picked him up cos Forest deemed him to be too small. Their loss was our gain.

Ultimately, why would anyone really care where Player X got their football education?

This whole 'united have had an academy player in the squad for 8 million games in a row' stuff is obv something you're proud of, but if you were running away with the league like Liverpool are, or City were 2 years ago, I bet you wouldn't even be batting an eyelid at that stat.

I guess when you've got an utter laughing stock of a manager and squad, you'll cling onto anything that takes your attention off the guff being served up on the pitch.

I guess the bitterness of having been the joke yourself for so long never really goes away.

hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: January 24, 2020, 08:19:10 PM »

Hogwash.

I guess the bitterness of having been the joke yourself for so long never really goes away.

Yeah we were a joke for many many years, but at least we knew we were a joke.

united fans can be in as much denial as they like, but the joke is now them.
Joke manager
Joke owners
Joke players

Now its your turn so embrace it like we did, don't deny it. You'd look very silly indeed if you tried to deny it.

Mind the gap.

Best Bitter.
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: January 24, 2020, 09:10:23 PM »

Hogwash.

Joke manager
Joke owners
Joke players

Now its your turn so embrace it like we did, don't deny it. You'd look very silly indeed if you tried to deny it.

Mind the gap.

Can’t hide from the reality of our current and recent position. Since SAF retired we’ve only won one FA Cup, one League Cup and one Europa League. Joke. Dropped as low as 7th in the PL too. Joke.
Recruitment policy in the Woodward era? Joke.

None of them are as good a joke as 7 managers in less than 10 years though. Nor as funny as time spent in Division Three.

Can we get to be that amusing? Maybe, but it feels very unlikely.

hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: January 24, 2020, 10:36:59 PM »

Hogwash.

Joke manager
Joke owners
Joke players

Mind the gap.

Can’t hide from the reality of our current and recent position. Since SAF retired we’ve only won one FA Cup, one League Cup and one Europa League. Joke. Dropped as low as 7th in the PL too. Joke.
Recruitment policy in the Woodward era? Joke.

None of them are as good a joke as 7 managers in less than 10 years though. Nor as funny as time spent in Division Three.

Can we get to be that amusing? Maybe, but it feels very unlikely.

Division 3? The 1960's called, they want their decade back.

Is it still 2 points for a win?

Mind the gap.

Best Bitter.
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 229 230 [231] 232 233 234 235 ... 242 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: