blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:13:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272538 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Cheeky Gits
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cheeky Gits  (Read 1495 times)
Biddy 62

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2011, 07:46:00 AM »

Wife got a phone call the other day from an american guy claiming to be from Microsoft. Told her they had recieved a message code and our computer was likely to get a virus. Wife gave him a password for internet explorer and this allowed him onto our computer. He was controlling the cursor and typing messages on the screen. Told her he could fix the computer, normally it would cost £350 for these programs but he could do it today for £159. Wife told him to get out of it, if their was a problem with the laptop we would sort it. He would'nt take no for an answer and just hung about on the laptop for 5 minutes. Wife realises she dropped a bollock believing him to be from Microsoft
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 09:30:34 AM »

Hope you've disconnected your computer from the internet and done a full virus scan? Then change all your computer passwords.

Even better would be to roll the computer back using system restore to a point before they had access.

Until you've done that I wouldn't use the computer as they might have installed some malicious software such as a keylogger, which could mean they can see everything you type (passwords etc).

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 10:07:47 AM »

I know they could/probably have installed something bad on there, but I think they're main target was the bankcard details from when they ask for payment, so I remeber someone telling me anyway.

But still def do all the things boshi said.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 10:12:19 AM »

I know they could/probably have installed something bad on there, but I think they're main target was the bankcard details from when they ask for payment, so I remeber someone telling me anyway.

But still def do all the things boshi said.

I'd be surprised if they just worry about getting a few hundred quid off you once, when they could install a keylogger in seconds and then systematically clean out your bank accounts and anything else you use.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 10:15:10 AM »

Thinking about it, why don't they ask for say £19.99, get your bank details over the phone, a small fee, and install a keylogger?

As oppossed to just installing the keylogger?  Unless theres a ton of naive people out there giving over £159

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 10:27:16 AM »

They are pretty pushy, about the only people I know who are still desperate to talk to you if you say you have a computer science degree.

Would also agree with Boshi about making sure nothing nasty was installed.

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 10:30:16 AM »

Thinking about it, why don't they ask for say £19.99, get your bank details over the phone, a small fee, and install a keylogger?

As oppossed to just installing the keylogger?  Unless theres a ton of naive people out there giving over £159

No idea.  Maybe asking for £100+ sounds more realistic?  Maybe they're hedging their bets - sometimes they just get the initial scam through and get the hundred-odd, sometimes they will then take more than the hundred now they have the card details, and if they strike gold they get their keylogger to do the business for them?

trafficjam

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 12:56:22 PM »

I have had a few calls like that saying they are from Microsoft. I always say "why are you calling me, I don't have a computer", they soon put the phone down.

I must refrain from falling in love with my hole cards!
Girgy85

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 02:00:15 PM »

Yea think i started a thread a while back also. Was an asian guy wanting me to go to a website and download their security software. Managed to get rid of him.

Best poster Girgy IMO - Mantis

Girgy is my new hero! - Evilpie

Think Girgy has shown the best leopard instincts in this thread and would prob survive best in the wild. Eye of the tiger that fella - Mantis

Girgy is a m'fkn machine - Daveshoelace
Biddy 62

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 02:15:26 PM »

Thanks for the advice bosh, phoned my bank and they've helped me run virus checks and suspended my account until its all clear. They said its been on the increase this type of scam.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 03:43:37 PM »

Change your windows login password as well, as an absolute minimum.  If you have one...

trafficjam

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 04:39:12 PM »

I just saw this in Windows Newsletter, may be helpful:

Security Alert: Beware the Fake AntivirusSystem2011 Application

Be careful not to install an application called AntivirusSystem2011 on your PC. Despite its name, it isn’t actually designed to remove malicious software from your system. It is actually a piece of malicious software itself that pretends to find virus infections on your PC, and then asks you to pay a fee to unlock the full version of the program. Since there are no viruses there in the first place, this is completely unnecessary, and designed to steal money from unwary users.

If you find that you have this fake program installed on your system you can disable it by deleting its registry key. Before removing the infection, backup your registry following the steps in article R 17 of your main Windows Advisor manual, or here: https://www.windowsadvisor.co.uk/reg_backup.html

1. Press [Windows Key] + [R], type REGEDIT and click OK.
   2. Delete the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ ​SOFTWARE\ ​Microsoft\ ​MediaPlayer\ ​Setup\ ​Files
   3. Exit the Registry Editor.

I must refrain from falling in love with my hole cards!
Biddy 62

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 03:43:20 PM »

These Bastards are still phoning up and harrassing the wife. Phoned 3 times yesterday while i was at work.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 07:58:08 PM »

Tell them you were so worried about viruses that you've thrown the PC away and bought a Mac.

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 08:03:45 PM »

These Bastards are still phoning up and harrassing the wife. Phoned 3 times yesterday while i was at work.

Can BT (or your phone provider) not do something about harrassing phone calls?    Perhaps track the number it comes from and ban incoming calls from it in the future?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: