blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:02:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Book review: The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler and, er, Dave Shoelace
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Book review: The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler and, er, Dave Shoelace  (Read 52100 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2011, 12:37:12 PM »

A lot of these 'mental coaching' or 'pop-psychology' books are full of bollocks, but this one seems to be well focused and full of useful info - despite Barry's involvement.

Is it available in Kindle format?

Yes one of the biggest challenges we faced, prior to last weekend, was distinguishing this book from all the 'find your inner rainbow' bullshit thats out there. Jared is after all a licensed professional in this field but unfortunately some people will always hear 'mental coach' and think bullshit.

Bugger.  I was looking forward the chapter on helping me find my inner rainbow. 

No plans for Kindle as yet we were planning that much later, however given the current US situation it may force our hand to either bring it out quicker, or delay it longer, depending on what materialises.

Kin - you know your Kindles well, how big an issue is piracy for kindle format books? I know ebook/pdfs are piss easy to pirate, are kindles protected in any way?

I think piracy of books on the Kindle is in its infancy, yes there are books (thousands of them) that you can get, but the titles seem to limited.  Compare this to music, for example, where any artist is pretty much available and most of their stuff they've ever recorded.  However, I think it'll grow because of the ludicrous pricing for some titles.  There are quite a few instances where a book is more expensive in the Kindle format compared to the paperback - which is plainly ridiculous as the cost of getting that book to readers is far lower in electronic format (even if there is some initial cost getting the book into the Kindle format).

If you published an ebook as a PDF or something like that, I think it would be illegally distributed far more than it would be in a Kindle format.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Amatay

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2011, 01:44:35 PM »

Pre-ordered the book last wk. When do i get it? Cheers.

There is no better feeling than rocking up in a city for the first time, with nowhere to stay and everything new - so liberating.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2011, 02:53:37 PM »

Pre-ordered the book last wk. When do i get it? Cheers.

Official release date is the 27th, so normally a few days after that though I just realised that the bleedin Royal wedding is probabaly going to delay it for us poms because there about 2 bank holidays after that date.

So dunno is the answer, the day you get it will also be the first day I get it. It will probably be the week after the 27th based on all the bank holidays.
pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2011, 09:05:26 PM »

Is it an easy read Barry or is it full of big words n stuff ?

Any plans to give away signed copies a la Greenstein ?

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2011, 09:22:55 PM »

My job was essentially to simplify it, and given the only big words i know are essentially and simplify, its not too hard to follow.
pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2011, 09:32:47 PM »

My job was essentially to simplify it, and given the only big words i know are essentially and simplify, its not too hard to follow.

Cheers Baz.

Jared Tendler

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2011, 10:19:52 PM »

A lot of these 'mental coaching' or 'pop-psychology' books are full of bollocks, but this one seems to be well focused and full of useful info - despite Barry's involvement.

Is it available in Kindle format?

Yes one of the biggest challenges we faced, prior to last weekend, was distinguishing this book from all the 'find your inner rainbow' bullshit thats out there. Jared is after all a licensed professional in this field but unfortunately some people will always hear 'mental coach' and think bullshit.

Bugger.  I was looking forward the chapter on helping me find my inner rainbow.

Don't get too discouraged, I believe you'll still find your rainbow...it just won't be on our watch, lol. Great to hear you see that this book isn't the sunshine and make you feel good kind. That's been my goal since I got into the field, everything I'd been exposed to was the later, and didn't work for me. I wanted to find a way to provide clear answers to real people. The bottom line is the material needs to produce results - if it doesn't do that, feeling good about losing means you're living in a fantasy world.

No plans for Kindle as yet we were planning that much later, however given the current US situation it may force our hand to either bring it out quicker, or delay it longer, depending on what materialises.

Kin - you know your Kindles well, how big an issue is piracy for kindle format books? I know ebook/pdfs are piss easy to pirate, are kindles protected in any way?

I think piracy of books on the Kindle is in its infancy, yes there are books (thousands of them) that you can get, but the titles seem to limited.  Compare this to music, for example, where any artist is pretty much available and most of their stuff they've ever recorded.  However, I think it'll grow because of the ludicrous pricing for some titles.  There are quite a few instances where a book is more expensive in the Kindle format compared to the paperback - which is plainly ridiculous as the cost of getting that book to readers is far lower in electronic format (even if there is some initial cost getting the book into the Kindle format).

If you published an ebook as a PDF or something like that, I think it would be illegally distributed far more than it would be in a Kindle format.

Your take on the ebook market is precisely how I've been seeing it too, and the market is changing rapidly. Even just at the end of last year, Amazon was limiting how much an ebook could sell for, and they were taking 85% of the cover price. That's changed completely since Apple joined the market, so once the dust settles a bit with the launch of the book, we're definitely going to get on the ebook train. Just a question of how quickly, not if it'll happen.
Jared Tendler

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2011, 10:22:55 PM »

Thanks Jared, appreciate the comments. I will give it some thought and try it out.

Yw. Feel free to post any questions that come to mind as you mull it over.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2011, 04:32:23 PM »

Sorry its a bit late. Now anyone that uses the promo code 2011 will get 10% off the book AND blonde will receive a percentage of the sale.

If anyone has any problems with the code let me know.

Also Jared is still more than happy to answer your queries if anyone else has any.
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2011, 09:34:11 PM »

Sorry its a bit late. Now anyone that uses the promo code 2011 will get 10% off the book AND blonde will receive a percentage of the sale.

If anyone has any problems with the code let me know.

Also Jared is still more than happy to answer your queries if anyone else has any.

Ordered already - can you retrospectively give blonde the %age? Not worried about the discount.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Jared Tendler

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2011, 09:46:54 PM »

Ordered already - can you retrospectively give blonde the %age? Not worried about the discount.

Did you order it during or after the pre-sale?
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2011, 10:27:24 PM »

Not sure, was the 21st April.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Jared Tendler

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2011, 11:49:41 PM »

Not sure, was the 21st April.

That was during the pre-sale (ended on the 26th) so you received 20% off. The books will start shipping tomorrow, I'm looking forward to see what you, and others who ordered it, think of it.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2011, 10:47:05 AM »

Just bought this, my mental frailties with poker is all that really has stopped me from making it big time imo, so a borderline gay, great big hug due out to the authors of this if i do become a player. 
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2011, 05:57:23 PM »

Bought mine just now. Looking forward to getting it after just having an inspiring coaching session with Jared Smiley

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: