blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:09:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Big Boxing Thread
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 ... 455 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Big Boxing Thread  (Read 1143878 times)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1485 on: October 23, 2013, 09:14:21 PM »

Funny you mention that, my dad knew the guy who owned the snooker club where Naz played pool and everyone who went there said he was a really down to earth chappy.

Was it in the Eccleshall Road/London Road area?

My mate didn't watch boxing, but had heard me going on about Naz a fair bit so couldn't wait to tell me all about it when he saw me in lectures.

Yes. Dont remember the exact location but it was that part of the City.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: October 23, 2013, 09:15:04 PM »

Funny you mention that, my dad knew the guy who owned the snooker club where Naz played pool and everyone who went there said he was a really down to earth chappy.

Did you see the documentary about the build up to Naz vs Barrera? Pretty much summed up why he lost, Naz was fretting about his hoteI room and flying in his hairdresser from sheffield, Barrera was training in a public spit and sawdust gym. With a proper work ethic, Naz would have been the greatest.

That phrase will always rankle with me. Saying "X would have been the best if he had only been more disciplined"  (see Alex Higgins, Paul Gascoigne, Pete Doherty, whoever) is not that easy. It was part of his character and the crowd loved him for being a lazy, guard dropping showman, who caught people with quick counters while dodging their jabs. I never liked him, even though I had to admire his brilliance.

Anyway, another debate for another day

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: October 23, 2013, 09:20:05 PM »

This bloke could throw a punch, too:

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1488 on: October 23, 2013, 09:29:59 PM »

Shavers could definitely bang.

As could this animal:

Remember regularly getting up at 3am, sticking the kettle on for me and my dad, sitting in front of the telly to watch Tyson.  Then going back to bed a minute or two later.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1489 on: October 23, 2013, 09:32:25 PM »

Corrales v Castillo I is definitely worth a watch.

Just remembered what a belter this one was. You watched it yet Monda?
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: October 23, 2013, 09:41:36 PM »

Corrales v Castillo I is definitely worth a watch.

Just remembered what a belter this one was. You watched it yet Monda?

Going thru them as they're recommended so Honeyghan vs Curry is going on once Man U hold in circa 2 mins.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:43:12 PM by mondatoo » Logged
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: October 23, 2013, 09:46:08 PM »

Shavers could definitely bang.

As could this animal:

Remember regularly getting up at 3am, sticking the kettle on for me and my dad, sitting in front of the telly to watch Tyson.  Then going back to bed a minute or two later.

Tyson's movement for a big lump was incredible!

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: October 23, 2013, 09:48:32 PM »

Tyson is my second fave. His ability to get inside and obliterate was just a joy to watch

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1493 on: October 23, 2013, 09:54:07 PM »

Tyson is my second fave. His ability to get inside and obliterate was just a joy to watch

Everyone talked about Tyson's punch, but his mobility was what made him great. I can't think of any other fighter who was able to nullify a huge size and reach disadvantage like he could.
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: October 23, 2013, 09:55:53 PM »

Hamed was an incredible talent. He was never the same once he had millions in the bank though. The desire had gone. He was on the downgrade by the time he fought Barrera. Had they fought two years earlier Hamed stops him.

For a domestic level scrap them Arthur v Gomez is worth a watch. There was a decent piece on Ringside last week about Gomez and his life after boxing which unsurprisingly has been a bit of a mess.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1495 on: October 23, 2013, 09:58:11 PM »

Hamed was an incredible talent. He was never the same once he had millions in the bank though. The desire had gone. He was on the downgrade by the time he fought Barrera. Had they fought two years earlier Hamed stops him.

For a domestic level scrap them Arthur v Gomez is worth a watch. There was a decent piece on Ringside last week about Gomez and his life after boxing which unsurprisingly has been a bit of a mess.

I remember that fight. It was a good un

My Dad and I followed Gomez a lot because we used to bet on when the commentator would say 'born in a car ' (usually before he entered the ring)

mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: October 23, 2013, 11:40:52 PM »

Barrera vs Morales 1 is for me the greatest fight of all time.

The Gatti vs Ward encounters are awesome

I always had a soft spot for the Holyfield vs Bowe series

Most early Nigel Benn fights too, always a tear up

The first Barrera vs Pacman blew my mind (did they fight more than once)

A strangely compelling pair of fights was the two Eubanks vs Carl Thompson fights.

Pac fought Barrera twice btw.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1497 on: October 24, 2013, 09:42:29 AM »

I remember that fight. It was a good un

My Dad and I followed Gomez a lot because we used to bet on when the commentator would say 'born in a car ' (usually before he entered the ring)

Haha, yeah it was always mentioned - usually several times.  Gomez was never the brightest, had a hard upbringing (did you know he was born in a car?), and once he got the money from boxing it was inevitable that he'd spunk the money and make some bad decisions. His fights were always exciting to watch though.

Monda, some other fights you have to watch:
Any involving Eubank, Benn, Collins fighting each other.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
malt vinegar

View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: October 24, 2013, 04:47:26 PM »

any links about for that gomez ringside piece??

not big fan of watching the whole of old fights i like docs about them with bits of footage thrown in etc

wouldnt sit through a whole old football match either.

been waiting all week for the odds on the brian rose fight at wknd still nothing up yet hoping there could be a few nice prices about
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: October 24, 2013, 05:03:50 PM »

Pretty sure the Snooker club regarding Naz was near the Hunters bar roundabout, as that was our go to place for a couple of frames and saw Naz in there a couple of times.

Got me reminiscing about student days in Sheffield now, good times.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 ... 455 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: