blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:41:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Big Boxing Thread
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 218 219 [220] 221 222 223 224 ... 455 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Big Boxing Thread  (Read 1146751 times)
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #3285 on: March 27, 2016, 02:19:27 AM »

Hughie wins a shut out on the cards

And Tyson Fury kept everyone's spirit up between rounds.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: March 27, 2016, 12:07:44 PM »

i am not really a boxing fan but apropos nothing much on i found myself watching ch 5 last night and eubank

two brave lads.

i thought, purely as a layman, that the game had moved very much towards a conservative approach to fighter safety, with fights stopped far earlier than they would have been a generation ago?

about 4 rounds before it was stopped i turned to my lad and asked him why the fight was continuing. the other fighter looked virtually defenseless on the ropes as uppercut after uppercut jerked his head back

his nose looked completely smashed, blood everywhere etc

why wouldn't a ref have stepped in and stopped it at that point?

hope he recovers, i gather he was stretchered off and now has a bleed on his brain

i hesitate to put it in these terms, but the governance of the game has something to answer for if there are ongoing problems for this boxer as it just seemed unbelievable he was still in there after round 7-8.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: March 27, 2016, 01:58:58 PM »

i am not really a boxing fan but apropos nothing much on i found myself watching ch 5 last night and eubank

two brave lads.

i thought, purely as a layman, that the game had moved very much towards a conservative approach to fighter safety, with fights stopped far earlier than they would have been a generation ago?

about 4 rounds before it was stopped i turned to my lad and asked him why the fight was continuing. the other fighter looked virtually defenseless on the ropes as uppercut after uppercut jerked his head back

his nose looked completely smashed, blood everywhere etc

why wouldn't a ref have stepped in and stopped it at that point?

hope he recovers, i gather he was stretchered off and now has a bleed on his brain

i hesitate to put it in these terms, but the governance of the game has something to answer for if there are ongoing problems for this boxer as it just seemed unbelievable he was still in there after round 7-8.

I personally think the ref got it right. He was taking a lot of shots but at no point did his legs go and always answered back. There was one point where VL looked ready to jump in but Blackwell responded. There's an argument that his corner could have looked at pulling him out but again if he is coherent in the corner then it's a tough call to make. Obviously with hindsight the fight should have been stopped earlier and hopefully Blackwell makes a full recovery.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: March 27, 2016, 02:11:39 PM »

yes, its easy to be after-timey

as long as the guy is lucid and his legs haven't gone, and i accept his legs hadn't gone (tough cookie) then a ref isn't going to step in unless he cant see (which is what i think caused the stoppage?)?

nose had gone, blood everywhere, wasn't throwing much back, i was surprised at the sheer volume of punishment he was allowed to soak up

this is only a layman's view, i don't watch much boxing. was that amount of punishment typical, or more than an average fight?

My eyes are open wide
fatcatstu

View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: March 27, 2016, 02:59:01 PM »

I think the problem for the ref was that he never went down, or even looked in trouble, despite the damage to his face. It's an unfortunate and upsetting result to see the injury to his brain, but at no point during the fight did I think "that's enough"

It was stopped at the right time IMO
flushthemout

View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: March 27, 2016, 03:20:44 PM »

A boxer us allowed to continue as long as he is able to defend himself, Blackwell did that and was always moving forward which the Ref seemed to acknowledge and let him continue. Eubank Snr saw it different and was asking the Ref to stop the fight. Once unable to see clearly the ref then I feel made the right decision.

Your only on this Planet once.......... so enjoy
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: March 27, 2016, 03:40:40 PM »

as long as the guy is lucid and his legs haven't gone, and i accept his legs hadn't gone (tough cookie) then a ref isn't going to step in unless he cant see (which is what i think caused the stoppage?)?

nose had gone, blood everywhere, wasn't throwing much back, i was surprised at the sheer volume of punishment he was allowed to soak up

this is only a layman's view, i don't watch much boxing. was that amount of punishment typical, or more than an average fight?

Neither boxer is in a dull fight so it was always going to be a good scrap.

At the very end of Eubank's flurry of punches, with Blackwell against the ropes, it got a little uncomfortable. It's during those flurries the ref has a chance to step in and stop the fight. If Eubank added one or two punches more to the combo it would of been stopped but he couldn't do that. There's a limit to how many punches a fighter can throw in quick succession. For a minute afterwards Eubank was knackered and vulnerable. To his credit he can get away with it as he hides it well with posturing and a good poker face.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: March 27, 2016, 03:51:12 PM »

I watched it last night and tbh at the time I think the busted nose made it look worse than it was. As already said in thread, legs never buckled and eyes never went.
Would not have had any complaints if the ref had stepped in earlier, but didn't seem anything wrong at the time. Ref stepped in quick when the eye swelled to get it checked out.
After fight in the ring Blackwell looked ok, appeared lucid, conversing with others, legs still fine.

Bloke is tough as teek, another reason why ref didn't stop it earlier too, hope he makes a full recovery.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: March 27, 2016, 06:29:14 PM »

much respect to eubank senior
after round 8 could tell he was hurt
"if ref doesnt stop we have to but do it with body shots not head shots"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDdbUtLy06-/?taken-by=boxingguru

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Micko

View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: March 27, 2016, 06:50:31 PM »

much respect to eubank senior
after round 8 could tell he was hurt
"if ref doesnt stop we have to but do it with body shots not head shots"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDdbUtLy06-/?taken-by=boxingguru

IMO he was telling him to go the body as Blackwell was taking the head shots and the ref wasn't stopping it, I don't think Eubank SNR was trying to save Blackwell, more the fact JNR had a better and quicker chance of stopping him by body shots.

Also think Eubank SNR was implying they wouldn't win if it went to the judges so get it over by stoppage.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: March 27, 2016, 06:58:44 PM »

"I don't know what to tell you, but I will tell you this, if he doesn't stop it and we keep beating him like this, he is getting hurt,"

its after he said that he tells him not to keep beating him round the head where it was hurting and to stop him with body blows

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: March 27, 2016, 07:08:23 PM »

Make no mistake about the context of some isolated corner instructions, Senior was only calculating how to stop Blackwell.  If he thought the ref would stop it on head shots his instructions would of been to keep throwing head shots.

He was saying go to the body as in you can drop him and force a stoppage with body shots cus it doesn't look like the ref is going to stop this.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 07:12:10 PM by McGlashan » Logged
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3297 on: March 27, 2016, 07:30:31 PM »

Make no mistake about the context of some isolated corner instructions, Senior was only calculating how to stop Blackwell.  If he thought the ref would stop it on head shots his instructions would of been to keep throwing head shots.

He was saying go to the body as in you can drop him and force a stoppage with body shots cus it doesn't look like the ref is going to stop this.

It was both, he was telling his boy how to win, but he had Blackwell's interest in mind too. Did you follow Snr when was fighting? After the Watson fight he pulled his punches in every single fight he had, and so many times didn't go for the KO when he had the chance. It's a testament to his talent that he still managed to win most of his bouts with that in mind.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: March 27, 2016, 07:39:38 PM »

if eubank senior could see it, and i tend to the view that he was being compassionate, what onearth was the ref doing?

My eyes are open wide
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: March 27, 2016, 09:03:55 PM »

The blood always makes things look a lot worse but is largely irrelevant when deciding if a fighter is in a fit state to continue. Blackwell took a lot of punishment but it was largely in short bursts from Jnr. From about the 6th onwards he would have a sustained attack to try and get Blackwell out of there but would punch himself out then cruise through the rest of the round. The ref could obviously see that as well. If Blackwell was taking a sustained beating for 3 minutes of every round then it would have been stopped earlier but he wasn't.
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 218 219 [220] 221 222 223 224 ... 455 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: