blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 08:11:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272772 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Laxie Goes Primetime
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Laxie Goes Primetime  (Read 145303 times)
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: February 16, 2012, 09:46:27 AM »

Our first day out on the geocache hunt didn't go so well.  Turns out the cache had done a runner.  We were looking in the right place, but were never going to find what we were looking for because it was missing with months.  We searched for ages and came home with nothing.  Deflated.  Great start.

Last week-end we gave it another go.  This time we'd a list of places to search, in case we ran into the same problem of things gone missing.  By the time we were done, we'd SIX found!  Jack was like a giddy kid finding something (anything!) after the disastrous start the week before. 

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #931 on: February 16, 2012, 09:50:10 AM »

Six!!!  We were on a roll.  We'd catch Stu in no time at that rate.  He'd only 12 last time we looked and he'd been doing this with a month.  We arrived home and logged our finds on the geocache site all proud of ourselves.  A few days later, Stu's log was updated.  He was on 28.  WTF?!  Sigh. 

We've our work cut out for us but at least it gets us out of the house enjoying the local countryside.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #932 on: February 16, 2012, 11:44:52 AM »

Click to see full-size image.

The older I get, the better I was.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: February 16, 2012, 11:50:51 AM »

To be fair, it was a step up from the week before when we found nothing after searching for ages...

At the time, we were clueless and cacheless

We discovered the problem when we returned home and read the log for that particular cache.  It had gone missing some months earlier.  Doh!  First lesson learned.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #934 on: February 20, 2012, 12:57:04 PM »

Geocache update, including pictures please. (Did you snot Sir Percy?)

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #935 on: February 20, 2012, 01:14:34 PM »

Geocache update, including pictures please. (Did you snot Sir Percy?)

Snap!  Was just on my way over here. 

We've managed to catch up to Sir Percy a bit, but he's still ahead.  For now the count stands at 36 - 32 in his favour.  This isn't good enough and we'll have to step up our efforts.  The Lads have gone so competitive about it, I reckon first to 100 should be reached within the next week or two.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #936 on: February 20, 2012, 01:25:45 PM »

She says, "Step up our efforts", but we managed 11 miles of geocaching this week-end!  It'll be interesting to see how my legs hold up to extra.  Luckily there's caches to find along the way and they keep me motivated.  Add to that the scenery and I'm a happy bunny.

This week-end we chose two 'series' to help boost our numbers.  The 'series' caches have been mapped out in such a way, they usually follow walkways in the area.  On Saturday we did the first of two.  Most sane people would have stayed at home that day.  Not us.  It was absolutely pouring rain for most of the walk (5.5 miles) and even started hailing at one stage!  We found 14 of the 15 we were searching for that day.  Good going considering the weather we faced through it. 

The rain stopped right near the end of our walk and that's where we met this lot...

The weather was so insane, we couldn't help but laugh

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #937 on: February 20, 2012, 01:39:35 PM »

On Saturday we'd packed a nice wee lunch for ourselves with plans of tucking in at some point along the walk.  The weather was so bad, we didn't even attempt it and ate the sandwiches when we were back at the car park. 

On Sunday we didn't pack much.  Just a bit of fruit and some snacks.  We were under pressure to return home in time for the Leicester rugby match at 2:30, so we didn't plan to stop along the way.  We'd 6 miles to cover before we were done and not enough time for messing about.  Murphy's Law came into play though and we had no choice but to stop at one point. 

We weren't the only ones doing the geocache series that day.  On the website it says to be careful not to let 'muggles' see what you're at.  You're to open the cache and log the find only when you're sure the coast is clear.  It didn't take long to figure out the couple in front of us were at the same game.  We knew the minute we reached the first cache.  From there, we tore across the golf course to the next one.  We noticed the other couple had taken a wrong turn, so we were delighted we'd get in front and not be held back by them the rest of the day.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #938 on: February 20, 2012, 01:41:10 PM »

She says, "Step up our efforts", but we managed 11 miles of geocaching this week-end!  It'll be interesting to see how my legs hold up to extra.  Luckily there's caches to find along the way and they keep me motivated.  Add to that the scenery and I'm a happy bunny.

This week-end we chose two 'series' to help boost our numbers.  The 'series' caches have been mapped out in such a way, they usually follow walkways in the area.  On Saturday we did the first of two.  Most sane people would have stayed at home that day.  Not us.  It was absolutely pouring rain for most of the walk (5.5 miles) and even started hailing at one stage!  We found 14 of the 15 we were searching for that day.  Good going considering the weather we faced through it. 

The rain stopped right near the end of our walk and that's where we met this lot...

The weather was so insane, we couldn't help but laugh

Nice pics again Dawn. Those ponies seem like a good a hardy bunch, but the last one looks a bit old judging by his teeth.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #939 on: February 20, 2012, 01:44:07 PM »

We weren't on the golf course for long.  Most of this series is set along both sides of a canal.  I didn't dare take the camera out on the one side as it was a mud bath of a walk.  But on the other side, it was a lovely stroll...

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #940 on: February 20, 2012, 01:45:53 PM »

Nice pics again Dawn. Those ponies seem like a good a hardy bunch, but the last one looks a bit old judging by his teeth.

Just like a fine wine....

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #941 on: February 20, 2012, 01:56:48 PM »

We saw a good few canal boats along the walk and I couldn't help but wonder what it must be like to live in one all through the year. 

I've only ever walked alongside a canal in the summer before.  It always seemed like such a 'cool' way of life to me.  You can hang out on deck soaking in the summer sun and coast around checking out the sights on an unusual form of transport.  I never considered their winter weather life until now.  And I'm not so sure I'd be keen on that half of it. 

Still think it's kinda cool though...

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #942 on: February 20, 2012, 01:59:59 PM »

Apparently he should be kept on his side, lying down, at a steady temperature between 8 - 13° Centigrade. In the dark and away from vibrations

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #943 on: February 20, 2012, 02:09:54 PM »

Anyway, back to Murphy and his laws.  We were cruising along nicely and had kept some distance between us and the other couple when disaster struck.  We struggled to find a cache.  They arrived on the scene just as we'd found it, so they decided to step away and wait for us to finish.  Now we were under pressure to make up ground or we'd be holding them back for the rest of the series.  Time to pick up the pace.

We were going well and had made up a bit of ground when we met another stumbling block.  This was supposed to be an easy cache to find.  About 15 minutes later we'd searched the area to no avail and they were caught up again.  We admitted defeat and told them we'd been searching without luck, just as the man walked right up to the hiding spot and gathered the cache without hesitating.  Sigh.  It was really easy...once we knew where it was.

Apparently they'd even stopped for lunch to give us a chance to gain ground.  We hadn't packed a lunch because we'd rugby to watch, but as this was our second time holding them up, we decided to stop and let them carry on.  We picked a patch of high ground along the canal and sat down for a snack.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #944 on: February 20, 2012, 02:10:43 PM »

Apparently he should be kept on his side, lying down, at a steady temperature between 8 - 13° Centigrade. In the dark and away from vibrations

Ooooops.  Ah well...I got it half right.

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 ... 74 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: