blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:13:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  A Series of Fortunate Events.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Series of Fortunate Events.  (Read 13242 times)
GlennDuskTillDawn

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2014, 01:27:25 PM »

Promising start to this diary.  Good luck with it.

What sort of angles have you got in mind for freelance articles?  If and when you can share, I'm interested.  Not for plaguirism's sake so, only divulge when you are happy to of course.  I write a little for 888poker.  Might like to write more, but not sure if I can continue to write about poker as I haven't played in a year online or offline and I'm mainly just writing web content now.  Not written a strategy article for some time.

I'm not a fan of regurjitating descriptions of tournaments and the other work I'm getting.  It's not the creative type of writing I want to be doing, but it pays pretty well, so...

My freelance work at the minute is mainly all WPT and DTD related stuff for the partypoker blog so I'm covering a different side of things that people don't usually see e.g the latest is a background view on how the whole festival was set up. I completely agree with the creative side of it., poker can get so repetitive, GPS this, GUKPT that. I think its beneficial for the game, players and those outside poker to be fed more interesting content, to learn what's going on and to learn about 'the scene.'

Obviously being in my position at DTD I get plenty of background info and behind the scenes stuff. Other topics I'd look at would promote poker in stranger ways e.g:
A feature on a player's weekend as a whole, where did he stay? did he splash out for a hotel? Did he nit it up and go cheap? Was it a professional weekend or was there a big Saturday night out? Eventhough you are writing poker content you still want the average everyday man on the street to be interested.

*Formerly freshprinceofbetair

I work in the pokers. This does not make me good at pokers.
VBlue

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2014, 01:30:46 PM »

Sounds interesting Glenn.  Point me at your work when it becomes publicly available please.
GlennDuskTillDawn

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2014, 01:53:44 PM »

Will do. Smiley

GlennDuskTillDawn

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 02:05:32 PM »

WPT Warm Up.

This was a good event for me for a few reasons. I was picking spots and winning races and peaked at about 200K during Day 1 which was actually my Day 2 target.

Unfortunately I had a sick spot where I three bet, a jam from a short stack to try and isolate. Managed to lay down when the BB went over the top. He had so we made Day 2 with 137K which was about 23bb. I was pretty happy knowing that it would play like the GP and getting a few shoves through would cruise me into the money. Unfortunately I saw three diamonds 9 times before the bubble and was basically all in when it came round. The bubble burst and I had 7bb. Got it in with against two bigger stacks who checked it down, somehow I held.

The play was then very much jam/fold for the majority of the comp. . The seat bubble burst and we managed to ladder.
I got a few jams through then managed to find two callers. I had   . They both had AQ. I held and was looking good value for a deep run.

A few hands later I doubled again with   vs 99.

Went back to being card dead when we broke to final two tables with the chip leader to my immediate left. He had sat down for 3/4 hands and had been involved in them all. He min raises UTG and I jam from the BB with 11/12 bigs. He has to call and we're racing but unfortunately A in the window does it.

The comp was a good experience and allowed me to put some serious thought process into the game. In the end it was a £1,000 cash and a £500 seat. It is my birthday on Sunday so I have the weekend off and unfortunately I have a funeral to attend Friday so it looks like  I will have to late reg Friday for the 500 if everything goes to plan.

Hopefully this could be the start of an epic spin.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 02:07:53 PM by GlennDuskTillDawn » Logged

GlennDuskTillDawn

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 06:40:16 PM »

Misc things learnt this weekend:
Rexas has awful banter.
Rexas has awful hats.
Rexas may/may not own an iron.
If he does he does not know how to use it.

Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2014, 06:55:39 PM »

Misc things learnt this weekend:
Rexas has awful banter.
Rexas has awful hats.
Rexas may/may not own an iron.
If he does he does not know how to use it.

All confirmed Cheesy

Also, contrary to how OP presents himself, his table described him as a "bully".

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
GlennDuskTillDawn

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2014, 12:59:12 PM »

Due to time planning etc it looks like I will be playing the WPT500 Thursday.

Toyed with the idea of swapping a bit of action but decided I'm practically freerolling off included seats so may as well ride it.

Good news for Team Blonde Poker at the APAT Team Event, winning that is the only poker related target not ticked off on my check list before xmas, the best of omens.

Also just invested in a PS4 which is keeping me sane during the WPT. Long hours and always something to do. All very good experience and will look v good on the C.V. I'm actually enjoying mixing working and playing.

If anyone wants my PSN Name for a whooping on COD or FIFA drop me a PM.

GlennDuskTillDawn

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2014, 08:30:42 PM »

Busto the 500 in non spectacular fashion. Constantly folding to 3/4 bets and had a pretty strong table. We were down to 18K, doubled with v back up to average then lots pots with big hands like JJ, AQ and just couldn't really get going.

I wanted to hit Day 2 with average and then some and took a few punts eventually getting it in with v .

Should I have played it today, or at all? Probably not. I'm shattered and had semi plans for the weekend which affected my decisions. I'm on 24 hour watch during this tournament constantly checking emails and Facebook to ensure people are registered off numerous lists etc. I just felt I should 'ride it' so to speak with the Super50 > Warm Up > 500 run. I'll learn not to do it again.

The tournament and experience is something I will learn from. Time management and tiredness is often overlooked in the game especially by people like me.

Two weeks off live poker now until the APAT Team event. I will probably play a few Sky Poker Mains and the Micromillions Main Online but that will be about it.

Plans for the rest of the festival.

Day off tomorrow (sort of) my Uncle (Nan's brother) passed away and he was a top chap and a true old fashioned gentleman so I will be attending it funeral and then coming in.
Saturday is my birthday warm up, I'm going to watch Walsall v Posh and then on the train back to Notts for the VIP party. Ideal to have fun and network at the same time.
Sunday will be a day with the family and the Mrs.

Then next week for the Main I will switch it up and maximise DTD publicity trying to squeeze out what I can.

Hope to see some of you for a beer over the weekend/next week when I am in the club.

Glenn
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 08:38:19 PM by GlennDuskTillDawn » Logged

VBlue

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2014, 09:23:26 AM »

Enjoy the weekend and I hope you give your Uncle a great send off.

Good luck on the online tournament hunt.
GlennDuskTillDawn

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2014, 04:41:57 PM »

Nearly a month since an update, either shows my laziness or the fact I've been busy.

Fortunately it is the latter.

So I've played 2 events since my last update both of which were great fun and different comps.

The first was the Genting Luton Monthly. £150 buy in £28K GTD inc some GPS Sheffield seats.

We weren't very lively on Day 1 but found a few good spots. At 200/400

UTG limps, UTG +2 3 x's and we have  .

We bump it up to 4.2K to see the button shove for like 11K.

UTG and UTG+2 get out of the way.

We're against and hold. This hand was so bizarre but gave me a quite a bit of info when the board ran out  x

UTG +2 showed JJ as he folded.
UTG hit the table when the four came in the window and the guy to my immediate left looked so perplexed at the river saying he folded , all of which I believe.

A few hands later and after a few exits I won a huge pot with on a Q 5 5 x x board.

I barreled every street with 2 callers on the flop and turn. A player I considered to be a bit of a station says he laid down QJ on the river when I jammed my last 25K into a 50-55K pot. I didn't believe that.

We made Day 2 with average and knew we'd have to get creative to make it anywhere.

I got locked into a pot with a player who was on my table for the entire WPT125 so knew what I was up against. He min raised UTG and I was playing 15-17bb and flatted with  two spades . My choice here was to either get away on any awful flop or gamble for a double up. The flop came  which wasn't the worse in the world. He bet about 34 of the pot and my insta reaction was KJ, KQ, so I jammed over the top. I was correct but it was . I exited in undramatic fashion kicking myself a bit but not too wound up because I know it was speculative and I was chasing chips.

GlennDuskTillDawn

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2014, 05:00:18 PM »

The second event was the APAT Team Event for Blonde.

I chose to go up the night before and stay with my girlfriend who lives in Leeds which was roughly 45 minutes away.

I was at first going to base myself there all weekend but the Day 1 would have finished far too late so booked a little hotel just north of Manchester. A great find for £50. Nice little countryside place.

I got to the G after contending with North Manchester and Prestwick traffic. Introduced myself to the team who were all a great bunch of guys. I chose not to drink, as did most of our team, other teams on the other hand did love their Sammy Bucca. In fact as a side note I did read on Facebook after the event this was the best day the Manchester G bar had had since a record breaking New Year party.

This was reflected in the play. As fun as the event was in the first two levels we saw:
A dealer verbally abused for saying something about 'Poker Leagues'
A 35 minute wait for a beer and an agitated player wanting said beer (he eventually eliminated me, top guy btw)
Someone three barrel and jam into the river to be called down with the nuts, twice.

I loved this event as I felt I could confidently try and build a stack. We were up and down all day sometime 5 x average, sometimes with 10bb.

I actually became Mr Unpopular in about level 6. We defend a min raise from UTG where the button and SB have also completed. We have   .
The flop comes       . We lead out for 2/3 pot and the button calls. Everyone else is out of the way.   on the turn means we aren't getting away. I bet big again to which he min raises my bet so I jam.

He goes into the tank for 4 min 15 seconds and I know he is a reasonable player and has a decision on his hands here. After the 4 min or so I call the clock to A) speed things up and B) apply a bit more pressure. With 5 seconds to go he folds and I show him my cards. He becomes very agitated saying he folded   and then a lot of tutting and debates ensue about the etiquette here.

I was fully aware it was a well structured comp but we were 6 x 45 minute levels in and I wanted to apply pressure to my opponent and speed the game up a bit. What do people think here?

This is actually the first time I've called the clock.

redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2014, 06:35:09 PM »

Calling clocks fine, wouldn't worry about it. I got slowrolled twice on my table, I think the villain was drunk (or possibly high) Smiley

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
pokerplayingfarmer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2014, 06:24:44 PM »

I don't see anything there that I would describe as bad etiquette, 4 min is plenty long enough. Not sure whether general etiquette at an APAT event differs from other poker events.  It was all very friendly and enjoyable which was a refreshing change to be honest.  Myself and hutch also got a bit of a scowling for refusing the £2.50 a man bubble saver!  I maybe shouldn't of laughed at the suggestion though!

I've never got it.....ever
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: