blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:08:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best of blonde
| | | |-+  MY FIRST WSOP - BY ROB YONG
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MY FIRST WSOP - BY ROB YONG  (Read 123863 times)
Robert HM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: July 05, 2005, 02:14:43 PM »

Thanks all for the welcome.

I live near Brighton and so far have played at the Rendezvous in the Marina. Might try the Grosvenor this Friday though.

Cheers all.

I have been to the Grosvenor B'ton beforre, full of friendly though frightenly enthusiastic people. Funnily enough I'm trying the Rendezvous this Friday for the first time.

http://www.rooms-direct.co.uk - If you need some furniture, give Shogun a shout, he can do you some discount for Blonde Poker forum members..
Maroon

Utrinque Paratus

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 05, 2005, 02:21:01 PM »

You trying the 5k satellite?

If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is.
Robert HM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: July 05, 2005, 02:49:25 PM »

Yep, that's the one.

http://www.rooms-direct.co.uk - If you need some furniture, give Shogun a shout, he can do you some discount for Blonde Poker forum members..
robyong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: July 07, 2005, 12:00:18 AM »

It looks like the rumours about 10,000 + players in the main event may have been just rumours, although there will be double last years entry at least. On Thursday Grumpy and Chubbs are playing, so we'll be supporting them, as Nick and me are not playing till Friday.

Everyone is saying that they are going to play like rocks all day, not playing a single hand unless its AA or KK. The problem with that it that it will cost 12,450 in posted antes and blinds to get through the first day, so you still have to play poker. Also, average chips will be around 33,000, so who wants be still at 10,000 at the end of the day?

I can't wait to start playing now, I either do well or fly home to see my family and friends, so I'm quite happy either way.  However, if I could get a good run in the Big One, it would make up for all the other losses on this trip. To be honest, to get through the Day 1 is going to make up for everything! I think a lot will depend on the table I get, hopefully me and 9 other Internet qualifiers from obscure sites, who will not pass top pair.

robyong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: July 08, 2005, 03:19:20 AM »

DAY 23: Wednesday 6th July  1 day to go
I'm getting a bit nervous about playing on Friday, every tournament for me is a roller coaster, as I play so many pots, and I face with so many tough decisions. This is the biggest tournament of the year and I want to go back home feeling I have put in a good performance but I know that if I have 5h6h, and the flop comes 2 hearts, I'm not passing, so I could be out on my ear very early on. My head keeps saying, 2 hour levels, 10,000 chips, you can wait for hands, but my heart says play your own game, with so many people playing tight, there will so many easy chips ready for the taking.

Grump, Ariston, Chubbs, Womble, Shrew, Big Barry (from Notts) and me decided to play a single table satellite in my room last night. It was a $500 buy-in, 1st prize $2500, 2nd $1000.  The Rocks prevailed, and Womble and Grumpy split the prize pool 1,750 each. My partner in crime, Nick The Shrew Whiten, decided to take it upon himself to try and knock me out at every opportunity, charming eh?

So far they have 5600 confirmed entries for the main event, people are so desperate to get in cheaply that they are playing $1000 Shootouts. This is when 10 people put in $1000 each, get dealt 2 cards face-up each, the flop, turn and river are dealt, and the winner takes the $10,000!
robyong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: July 08, 2005, 03:21:04 AM »

We went down to the arena to support Chubbs and Grumpy, its mahem. 200 tables and spectators are 6 people deep. There are TV camera's everywhere, microphones dangles over the tables where the stars are sat, hoping to hear some trash-talking. To reach the arena you are forced to be diverted through a large mall, full of stalls trying to get you to sign up for their web site, or selling poker memorabilia, poker tables, personalised dealer buttons, poker software, and instructional videos. It's big business here, there was even a queue to get your photo taken with The Flying Dutchman, Marcel Luske, who incidentally, is one of the friendliest stars on the circuit. Poker is just huge over here, the top players are worshipped and everybody is trying to cash in on the poker boom.

Meanwhile, the WSOP have decided to speed up the structure half way through today, as people are not getting knocked out quick enough! They reduced to levels by 20 minutes (from 2 hours to 1 hour 40 minutes) and decided to play 6 levels on Day 1,2 and 3. I think this is wrong and unfair on players who have planned their tournament strategy based on 2-hour levels. Having played the WPT 5 Diamonds at the Bellagio, where you actually get 2 X your buy-in in chips (30,000 for $15,000 Buy-In) and it is superbly run, hats off to The Bellagio, and a big thumbs down to the WSOP.

Tomorrow is my big day, my first WSOP main event. If the deck hits me in the face, I'll be chipped up and through to Day 4, but if the cards run badly, I'll be out early.

I've came here to play poker, not wait for Aces, and I'll play be playing Dan Harrington's' version of super-aggressive poker (this means that 40% of the deck are playable cards!). Of course, I won't be calling many raises out of position, but I will be raising with any 2 cards that are suited or connected with 2 gaps or less in any position.

To most players this is a very reckless style of play, but on a tight table, you can accumulate chips quickly, also if you hit the flop, you can double up. However, if there are 2 other loose players at the table, I will be forced to be a bit more cautious in early position. If I can acculumate $30,000 chips I will switch to Dan Harrington's Conservative Style, which is basically playing AQ minimum and see out the rest of the day.

I've had 22 days here, played a hell of a lot of poker, missed all my big draws and had my premium hands outdrawn, I want to end my trip going down fighting, WIN or LOSE. In 2004, Raymer documented every hand he played, and I'm going to the same, as I'm not sure whether I will ever get this opportunity again. Good luck to everyone.

Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 08, 2005, 08:04:58 AM »

last year the levels were 1hr 40m and 6 levels per day, so no change
Robert HM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: July 08, 2005, 09:07:11 AM »

Thanks Rob, again. To play the big 'un like that is going to take guts but, looking at the reports on how people were playing the first day, it could pay off. Wouldn't it be good to get reports from you after each of your daily sessions which could be saved under "How I one the World Series"!

Maroon

Utrinque Paratus

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 08, 2005, 09:28:54 AM »

Good luck, mate!

If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is.
Valvster
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 08, 2005, 11:27:56 AM »

Good luck forr today!!!!!
ericstoner

Winner of the Stars $200 sunday biggy, RU APAT Ire

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 08, 2005, 03:47:40 PM »

I've enjoyedyour musings.........Best of luck for the WSOP

Blonde Hall of fame inductee,October 2007.
thediceman

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 08, 2005, 05:21:34 PM »

"How I one the World Series"

I'm sure Rob would prefer to use the title "How I won the World Series".

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 08, 2005, 06:00:57 PM »

he is a lawyer leave him alone they got to be thick to its part of their job training

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
TrentDD11
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 08, 2005, 09:13:10 PM »

good luck rob i hope the poker gods are smiling on you tonight!
Robert HM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: July 09, 2005, 03:14:38 AM »

he is a lawyer leave him alone they got to be thick to its part of their job training

Some of us can't be perfect all of the time. I have been known to make the odd, annual, spelling error. I try not to let it affect my humility

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: