blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 20, 2024, 01:23:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273297 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Sliding Doors and Suited Connectors
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sliding Doors and Suited Connectors  (Read 1293 times)
Pyso

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2011, 04:08:18 PM »

DTD last night, in the early hours, the usual 50p/£1 nonsense, albeit on the new straddle happy 200-max tables.

Most flops are multi way, a pre-flop raise is seen as irrelevant but nobody is squeezing or 3-betting.

I am on the button with   when it is multi-limped to me. Now normally I would raise but the SB is a lovely combination - LAG and useless. He talks a good game but spouts utter shit and plays a game consisting of call, call and call some more and hit that runner runner draw.

I know he will likely raise in the best position (in his mind) and he doesn't disappoint, bumping it up to £6, which really is just an irritant as everybody will call. I am happy to do so on the button, capping the betting with my lovely big stack busting connectors. The SB has me covered, I am sitting with around £220.

The flop is a glorious  

SB checks (how I want him to have AQ here) and the BB leads out for £15. BB is known to me, both personally and as a solid, thinking player. He likes to push his draws as well as lead out with the goods. I am suspecting a draw here, or possily a nine - I have seen him do this before with trips in a multi way pot. It is folded to me. I think about raising but decide I probably need to flat, to get the SB to call behind or have him raise me, whereby I can get it in.

The SB calls. The pot is now £75.

The SB could have anything given previous hands we have seen, but of course I am not discounting a genuine hand either.

The turn is the  

SB checks and he is beginning to look either very trappy or very fishy. BB leads again for £25 this time. I comment that this is a very small bet to which he replies he wants me to raise so that he can come over the top. I am now actually a little more concerned about the SB, he is so fishy he could easily have a straight here.  I flat again, exercising a little pot control  and waiting to see what the SB does.

He calls and we go the river with a pot of £150. The river is  . Yuk. But I took that risk when I flatted on the turn.

SB checks once more (very polarised now, either the stone cold nuts or feck all), BB value bets his probable flush for a tiny £25. Well, he probably wants a raise more than a call. I decide I can't fold trip nines for £25 into a £150 pot just yet, especially as the SB may actually give up now (unlikely though) and BB could have the same sort of hand as me. So I reluctantly flat once more, half expecting the move from the SB, which duly comes when he check-raises to £75.

BB instantly and begrudgingly announces "I call".

Ok, there is £325 in the pot minus £7 for rake, so I am getting just over 6 to 1 to make the call capping the betting.

I don't see how I can be winning obviously and despite the lovely odds toss the little feckers into the grime.

So my question and ponderings  are thus:

Is anybody sick enough to actually call here?

(thought not)

...and...

After I sit there for a while thinking how sick it is that I flop trips against the fishy deep stack and end up having to pass, it also comes to mind that two small changes would have changed everything and I would have probably lost the lot. If my mate in the BB doesn't lead out I would have done my bollox (I bet my nines, get raised and then stick it in), and If I had raised preflop the SB would probably have re-popped me big and maybe I would have let it go preflop and saved neary £100 in the process.

Such subtle changes have a massive 'Sliding Doors' effect in deepstack Holdem and that is why we love it...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 04:53:10 PM by Pyso » Logged
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 04:48:01 PM »

If you want any decent responses I'd edit the post above without the other players hands.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Pyso

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 04:52:12 PM »

Oh alright then, although I wasn't really expecting any repllies.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 05:04:15 PM »

Oh alright then, although I wasn't really expecting any repllies.

Fold, he's got you beat Wink

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 05:12:26 PM »

If you want any decent responses I'd edit the post above without the other players hands.

Or stick a picture of Gwyneth Paltrow in there (before she went all goo-goo she was actually rather attractive.)

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Pyso

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 05:40:53 PM »

Or stick a picture of Gwyneth Paltrow in there (before she went all goo-goo she was actually rather attractive.)

All I want to know about Gwyneth Paltrow is this: was that really her in that scene in Shallow Hal or was it a body double with the most perfect ass? If you've seen the film you'll remember the moment...
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 06:32:29 PM »

All I want to know about Gwyneth Paltrow is this: was that really her in that scene in Shallow Hal or was it a body double with the most perfect ass? If you've seen the film you'll remember the moment...

I do and, apparently and unfortunately, it was a body double.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 11:21:04 AM »

this felt more like a bedtime story than a PHA thread,

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: