blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:15:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  "The Downswings of Property and Poker"
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 186 187 [188] 189 190 191 192 ... 291 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Downswings of Property and Poker"  (Read 598461 times)
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #2805 on: April 03, 2013, 12:10:24 PM »

Whilst 0800 may seem a little harsh with his 'mug punter' comment I can't help but think you still have a gambling problem Rich.

Just because it's not as bad as the 'rock bottom' problem you used to have doesn't mean you have it under control.

I would think most people on Blonde have a gambling problem to a certain degree. I know I have that's for sure. Fortunately for me I'm single with no dependents so if it goes tits up the only person who gets hurt is me.

You have a good job and a wonderful family. I don't understand risking it all for a chance of a few extra quid. You say that your bets were mostly flips. That suggests that the potential upside of this was a £28k profit. Would being £28k up have made as big a difference in a positive way as being £28k down has done in a negative way?

Dubai's spot on that life >>> money of course. This is so much easier to say when you have a few quid behind you. When it's all gone I'm pretty sure that despite being alive your whole situation changes dramatically.

Good luck sorting all this out mate. Sounds like you have a very understanding wife but I'm sure there's limits to that understanding.

Cheers

Matt

Sorry Matt I had not come back to this or 0800's posts from before which were quite good posts and I agree with Adam (Rffffffffs) that sometimes 0800 does come across abit trollish but I never took it that way and yes you are most likely right in that ofc I deep down have a gambling problem of sorts and it will always rear it's ugly head if I have time, ability to have access to massive sums of money or if other areas of life are not great etc etc as it's my leak I suppose as I dont drink that much and have never been a smoker and deep down I love a punt and for the first time in 6-7 years I slipped back to some old habits.

The winning or losing is not the most important thing in that as betting,poker etc are hobbies that for the past 7 years when under control I either lose small, win small or break even at whilst having a great deal of fun and bear no part of income or investments then I am quite lucky but I realised I was starting to spiral a bit on the punting front and took the back steps to ensure I didnt get to a point where I was before.

I never wanted it to come across as it's only 28k as obv it is a lot of money irl but in the scheme of things does not change our life in anyway shape or form and just means I have to tighten my own disposable purse strings for a few months and punt very occasionally and for very small stakes as it is very unlikely I could ever commit to not having a bet again, not because I need to bet but sometimes you just have a punt.

Problem gambling is very broad and not sure if I mentioned this when I started this diary but when I was first in trouble and I mean in trouble just to family at the time but without an income that would mean I could payback any money owed for a very long time my Dad frogmarched me to Gamblers Anonymous with my fiancee and they sat in the relatives room being told how to control me and that even the lottery is a form of gambling and I should never even buy a raffle ticket again and at the time I sat in my room with people telling their story and how for xxx days they had not had a bet and as I didnt believe I rebelled and basically tried to beat the system so syphoned money away where I could and become ultra ultra selective and actually turned %wise the biggest profit I had from bowl stakes due to it being important that was until Sarah found £750 turned from the odd 50p in my golf bag and it was GG but even my Dad found the whole thing very Cultish and never worked for us as a family. *sure it works for some

I remember at the time answering all the questions which showed you were a problem gambler and answered correctly (not that this was a good thing) to all of them and would be 100% sure that today I would not tick half the boxes but its the access and ability that leads me to distraction!

I suppose I need to get some enjoyment back from occasional punting on the rare occasion I will now punt and since I first posted I have had 3 bets

I backed G Delaet to be in the top 10 in last weeks US golf @ 15/2  £50 loser

I backed Horseys bookings tip the other day at 13/8 for £20 and then spun the winnings onto

The Bayern/Barca double last night at just over 2/1 (see I run good  Wink so its a good job we have a dog and not a cat!

And now most likely wont punt until I see something I like or a respected poster puts up as value somewhere else which is so many miles away from where I was many years ago.

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: April 03, 2013, 12:11:24 PM »

Rich - huge congratulations on the new addition Smiley

Re: the punting downswing... whilst it's obv a million miles away from an ideal outcome you should take massive strength from the fact that you've remained logical and calm throughout and taken a step back at what you felt was the appropriate moment. Hugely important/significant to be able to do this and shows great character.
Thx for the nice comment Ed.

DTD this weekend?

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: April 03, 2013, 12:12:47 PM »

Once again, congrats on the newborn Rich, top photos.

Only 23 here but been with my gf too long, but there is something to look forward to despite the reduced post marriage pokers.

What you did with Petra was so genuine. I really hope that things work out going forward.

Final this weekend, yeah? I grabbed a seat last night. Must grab a drink Rich!
Hi Jonny
WPWP on grabbing your seat the other night and GLGL for the weekend. Please if you see me come and say hi so I can put a face to a name/SN

horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: April 03, 2013, 12:13:28 PM »

some quite superb posts of late eso

i admire your honesty with your wife

wish you continued luck in life and punting
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: April 03, 2013, 12:21:29 PM »

I found having the two young ones certainly meant whenever I have the urge to gamble I simply don't have time or too tired! Half the battle is telling the missus Smiley
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: April 03, 2013, 12:29:52 PM »

Last night was pretty redic on the DTD satty front and having engineered an early double through and then maintained my stack to the addon I was in the top 80 for ages before taking my chance at a double vs a very aggy player with 110 left to catapult me into the top 20 whereby my silent fanboys Bettsy and Leatherman suddenly start railing me via text with Bettsy telling me at 11.19 "That's a lock"

Obv life is never that easy in my household and I replied "I'm feeling a pure bubble" so being patient and in 27th with 60 left it really should have been a lock and I would say I am comfortable with Satty theory so won the odd blinds and then with 55left and 50 seats the usual timebanking for everyone started and I was now in the 30's with loads of really short stacks and rising blinds it still looked like I would bink, unfortunately a couple of shorties genuinely doubled and then some keyboard wizards who were playing started coaching and we were sliding down the leaderboard with the bigstacks playing as they should and then with the BB having 12k at 5/10k and the SB 115k the BB offered $100 to the SB to fold his hand which was accepted and I sat patiently as on another table the BB was all in for 7k I had JJ UTG and 1.5BB and had to timebank fold as they had not played their hand out which he won 62>AQ and we were allin on the BB next hand with another player on my table left with 1ante but I dont run as good as some and my table found 4 calls with me losing on a 4spade board to "Pure Bubble"

Really think the should mod the chat from 60players down when they give 50seats as 3 diff people messaged me saying "blatant collusion" but I'm a bit indifferent to it just sucks to pure bubble typifying the form atm..

/rant

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2811 on: April 03, 2013, 12:36:19 PM »

I didn't get that far (went out to a rather interesting call by someone who I thought would know better with 64-sooted for more than half of his stack with 70 left), but at least there was nothing underhand with his call - he can do what he wants with his chips and that's the game.

But when people are being offered $100 to fold and there's obvious cheating going on then that's not right at all.  I would report this to DTD, with a copy of the chat.  Of course, there will be offline collusion going on, but that's close to impossible to police.  The stuff you mentioned can easily be stopped with the chat blocked from a certain point out (10 from the bubble or something?).  DTD could also monitor the tables from that point, if the ability to switch the chat off isn't available, and manually intervene if there is cheating going on.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: April 03, 2013, 12:41:17 PM »

some quite superb posts of late eso

i admire your honesty with your wife

wish you continued luck in life and punting
Thanks Horsey and good spot on the bookings the other night.

Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: April 03, 2013, 12:42:58 PM »

I found having the two young ones certainly meant whenever I have the urge to gamble I simply don't have time or too tired! Half the battle is telling the missus Smiley
Oh yeah time is definately limited but sleep I dont need much of so still have the time!

Godknows how Red does it!!

Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: April 03, 2013, 12:46:28 PM »

I didn't get that far (went out to a rather interesting call by someone who I thought would know better with 64-sooted for more than half of his stack with 70 left), but at least there was nothing underhand with his call - he can do what he wants with his chips and that's the game.

But when people are being offered $100 to fold and there's obvious cheating going on then that's not right at all.  I would report this to DTD, with a copy of the chat.  Of course, there will be offline collusion going on, but that's close to impossible to police.  The stuff you mentioned can easily be stopped with the chat blocked from a certain point out (10 from the bubble or something?).  DTD could also monitor the tables from that point, if the ability to switch the chat off isn't available, and manually intervene if there is cheating going on.

I messaged them re the $$ offered as it will defo show up and interestingly said exactly the same thing about chat disable or a DTD mod from 60players down just to let everyone know they are being monitored in the interests of fairplay.

Obv back in the saddle tonight tho Wink

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2815 on: April 03, 2013, 12:57:45 PM »

I messaged them re the $$ offered as it will defo show up and interestingly said exactly the same thing about chat disable or a DTD mod from 60players down just to let everyone know they are being monitored in the interests of fairplay.

Did you get a response?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Leatherman

View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: April 03, 2013, 01:02:07 PM »

So so sick watching you pure bubble when really ya had seat locked up.

Deffo should be DtdObserver watching last few tables or just switch that dam chat off..

Cringe worthy stuff

Good Luck Tonight

Satellite King
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: April 03, 2013, 01:04:13 PM »

On the work front we have been on a massive upswing which when my dad was alive he could never quite grasp how I managed to run my offices well whilst downswonging hard in other areas and still come to work being me whilst knocking in chunks.

Last year in our first full year as a team here (having moved across the road 17 months before) we turned over £290k in residential sales fees which was an increase of 25% of what they had done the year before us in what is perceived to be a static market but having just completed the 1st Qtr figures we are 150% of where we were at this time last year and on target to turn over about £400k if we keep selling at the same rate for another 6months (6months as at the end of September that's our business done for the year).

With loads of sales on the board morale in the office is high and everyone is obv earning good ££ which inturn keeps people motivated and happy at work!

Recession what  Recession!!!

Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: April 03, 2013, 01:06:10 PM »

Did you get a response?
not yet...

Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: April 03, 2013, 01:06:57 PM »

So so sick watching you pure bubble when really ya had seat locked up.

Deffo should be DtdObserver watching last few tables or just switch that dam chat off..

Cringe worthy stuff

Good Luck Tonight

<3

Pages: 1 ... 184 185 186 187 [188] 189 190 191 192 ... 291 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: