blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:25:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Massive virus, no antivirus working, how to get Vista to safe mode?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Massive virus, no antivirus working, how to get Vista to safe mode?  (Read 924 times)
ManuelsMum

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2011, 07:27:14 PM »

On mate's machine, has one of those horrific viruses that stop any anti-virus running, so trying to boot Vista into SAFE MODE. Hi t f8 repeatedly, but just gives me a list of boot device options, f8 again does nothing to get to Safe mode. Is there a way to do this? Have a net connected netbook and pen drive with me, pen drive is a boot option. Cheers

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me i didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life.
J Lennon
paulpitchford

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 07:30:33 PM »

You need to start pressing F8 after the bios post screen has finished. Sounds like you're pressing it too early then missing it once you've chosen a boot device.

henrik777

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 07:33:56 PM »

1.    From the Start Menu, select RUN
 Just click the Start →Search on Windows Vista or Windows 7.

2.    Type msconfig in RUN (or in Search in Vista)  and hit Enter

3.     Click the BOOT.INI tab.

4.    Check the option for /SAFEBOOT in the bottom pane.

Once you click the OK button with this option selected, the computer will start in Safe Mode when you restart your computer next time.
         By default, Safe Mode will not have internet access. To have internet access in Safe Mode, select the NETWORK option against /SAFEBOOT.

5.    Click the Apply button.

6.    Click the Close button.

7.    Restart your computer.

This will take your computer to Safe Mode.

If you had selected the NETWORK option as described in step 3, then the computer will restart in Safe Mode with Networking giving you internet access in safe mode.

After your safe mode troubleshooting is over, to start your computer in normal mode, please follow steps 1 and 2. Clear the options you had selected for /SAFEBOOT and click OK. After this, restarting your computer will take you back to Normal Mode.

Sandy
ManuelsMum

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 07:36:58 PM »

You need to start pressing F8 after the bios post screen has finished. Sounds like you're pressing it too early then missing it once you've chosen a boot device.

I owe you a beer, please advise Wink

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me i didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life.
J Lennon
paulpitchford

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 08:49:08 PM »

I owe you a beer, please advise Wink

No worries. Glad you got around it!

ManuelsMum

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 09:53:47 PM »

1.    From the Start Menu, select RUN
 Just click the Start →Search on Windows Vista or Windows 7.

2.    Type msconfig in RUN (or in Search in Vista)  and hit Enter

3.     Click the BOOT.INI tab.

4.    Check the option for /SAFEBOOT in the bottom pane.

Once you click the OK button with this option selected, the computer will start in Safe Mode when you restart your computer next time.
         By default, Safe Mode will not have internet access. To have internet access in Safe Mode, select the NETWORK option against /SAFEBOOT.

5.    Click the Apply button.

6.    Click the Close button.

7.    Restart your computer.

This will take your computer to Safe Mode.

If you had selected the NETWORK option as described in step 3, then the computer will restart in Safe Mode with Networking giving you internet access in safe mode.

After your safe mode troubleshooting is over, to start your computer in normal mode, please follow steps 1 and 2. Clear the options you had selected for /SAFEBOOT and click OK. After this, restarting your computer will take you back to Normal Mode.

Sandy
Thanks so much for this, Sandy, will remember for next time. Sadly it was an ubervirus that disables sysrestore, run.., everything. Got there through safemode.
I wonder if they actually even give you an antivirus when you pay up lol

J Lennon
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: