blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:23:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 250 251 [252] 253 254 255 256 ... 407 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.  (Read 960340 times)
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #3765 on: April 25, 2016, 05:57:37 AM »

1) best buffet - I still enjoy lunch at the nugget and the Friday seafood buffet - it's not posh but has some good food
2) best burger - I never really notice tbh binions used to be good but seems to have gone down hill
3) best steakhouse- did voodoo at the Rio last year that was v good ,simply steak Mandalay bay was good ,downtown vic and Anthony's @ the nugget andiamos @ the H , triple George grill down a side street off Fremont st
4) best $20 lunch - I still enjoy a burger at binions
5) best Chinese - my mate from Phoenix asked a dealer -obv Chinese @ the aria and she told him about some place in a side street in Chinatown nobody even spoke English except a young waitress and her English wasn't that good ,  3 of us ate for less than $85 ? ,it was very good I will try n get the address ,we did go to China mommas I thought it wasn't so good as the certificates they displayed said !!

The worst place to eat ?? Breakfast in hash house a go go at the Rio Imo ,several on here Said they liked it ,I thought it was shockingly bad ,worst food I've had in Vegas by a long way
I still like a half n half - sandwich n soup in the sports book deli type of lunch
Posh nosh wise - was spagos in Caesars forum shops we took my gf there for her birthday last year
I was surprised how quiet the voodoo steak house was at the Rio on the 54 th floor and how good n reasonably priced with a great Vegas view it was - will be doing it again this year
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: April 25, 2016, 09:21:11 AM »

So got my Hotel and Flight sorted..

Looking for Peoples Top 5 food.

1. Best Buffet

2. Best Burger Joint

3. Best Steakhouse

4. Best Lunch/$20 snack

5. Best Chinese Restaurant

This is personnel opinion and would appreciate your thoughts. 

PS. You can also name a Must Do if not in the above List.

Thanks All.

I'll give you 5 more, and this time I'll assume we are going for the best possible value, rather than the best possible.

1. The buffets are pretty much in line with strip rating, so the 5* hotels have the best buffets and so on.  So Bellagio would be $21 for brekkie, Mirage a dollar less, TI a dollar less... even the Excalibur wants $18 lol.  $21 in Bellagio is inifinitely better value than $18 for Excal.  If you try hard enough, you can probably go off strip and get it under $10, but for that it will cost you a cab plus the sensation that you have been stabbed in the guts for the rest of the day.  Time the Q to get in at 10:30, pay the breakfast price, get 1 plate of breakfast and then they change the food to lunch offerings at 11, get your second plate of lunch items for the breakfast price, save another dollar!

2. Shake a shack (part of the new park avenue shops around NYNY) and In'n'Out (rumoured to be appearing at the Linq promenade) are decent burgers in the value range.

3.  Hugos downtown, for the price of the entree, everything else comes with it, which is a decent saving compared to the normal a la carte.  Texas de Brazil and Fogo de Chao are 2 good Rodizio restaurants where for a reasonable price, you can get steak carved at your table until you tap out.

4. Milos @ Cosmo for $25 lunch menu was a good shout.  I quite like CPK pizza for lunch, within budget.

5. PF Changs @ PH (and also a few off strip) would be "cheap and decent" as would Ping Pang Pong @ Gold Coast.  Chinatown is worth a look, but mostly it is Thai/Korean/Vietnamese there.  Yun Nan Garden is the type of place where no-one speaks great English, the service isn't great, it is Szechuan at very good prices, just a word of warning that "hot" really is hot.

As for things to do on a budget.... put £20 a week in a jar between now and departure and use it to go to Picasso Smiley

tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: April 25, 2016, 07:52:45 PM »

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2012/jan/23/your-guide-chinatown/

We think we went to yunnan garden on schiff which was good inexpensive and worth a visit
The areas worth a visit if you have a car too often visitors to Vegas stay / eat on or near the strip
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: April 25, 2016, 07:57:07 PM »

My mate sent this too

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/13/dining/las-vegas-off-the-eaten-path.html?_r=0
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: April 25, 2016, 08:20:55 PM »

I can't think of many redeeming features of PF Changs when I ate there in Santa Monica.    It felt like the Chinese equivalent of somewhere like frankie and benny's. 

If you like dim sum, the place in the Rio is pretty authentic.  I'd personally far rather eat there in that price band.   I am no fan of Noodle Asia, but think that is a step up too.  I would put Grand Wok in the MGM above both. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: April 25, 2016, 08:28:11 PM »

Has anyone eaten at Hakkasan in the MGM?

Assume its as good as Hakkasan London and HKK?

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: April 25, 2016, 08:57:25 PM »

PF Chang is decent, for a chain, imo.

I hate Noodles Asia, and would sooner drive up to the food court for Panda Express.

Rio place was alright when I ate there (2yrs ago)

Lillies @ GN is reasonably good, and they have a few Teppanyaki tables, too.

Never tried Hakkasan, but would hope it's good, for the price they're likely to be charging Smiley

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: April 26, 2016, 12:10:18 AM »

We think we went to yunnan garden on schiff

Sounds very likely that you did.  I like hot, some of the dishes were 'King hot.

I can't think of many redeeming features of PF Changs when I ate there in Santa Monica.    It felt like the Chinese equivalent of somewhere like frankie and benny's. 

If you like dim sum, the place in the Rio is pretty authentic.  I'd personally far rather eat there in that price band.   I am no fan of Noodle Asia, but think that is a step up too.  I would put Grand Wok in the MGM above both. 

PF Changs is inexpensive, and if you want Kung Pao + rice, it fits the bill.  There are ofc other options, but the out and out Chinese restaurants on the strip will be $35 for Kung Pao chicken and that's silly.  NN9 @ Caesars was good, but no bargain.  I'm not a fan of Noodle Asia, but ofc ymmv.  Noodles @ Bellagio was also a regular go-to in the days where I was looking to burn comps, so it has been a while....

I hate Noodles Asia, and would sooner drive up to the food court for Panda Express.

I wouldn't go that far.... Cheesy

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: April 26, 2016, 01:13:18 AM »

Sounds very likely that you did.  I like hot, some of the dishes were 'King hot.

PF Changs is inexpensive, and if you want Kung Pao + rice, it fits the bill.  There are ofc other options, but the out and out Chinese restaurants on the strip will be $35 for Kung Pao chicken and that's silly.  NN9 @ Caesars was good, but no bargain.  I'm not a fan of Noodle Asia, but ofc ymmv.  Noodles @ Bellagio was also a regular go-to in the days where I was looking to burn comps, so it has been a while....

Maybe your memory is playing tricks.  You aren't getting any change much/any change from $35 in PF Changs for Kung Po Chicken and rice https://www.pfchangs.com/menu/main/main-entres--chicken/kung-pao-chicken.  Put planet hollywood in there, though you could
 save a couple of bucks if you have a car and can go elsewhere.  I genuinely don't see why anybody would do that when there are decent options elsewhere.

You can get some good noodle soup and a couple of portions of freshly made dim sum for the same money at Red 8, or maybe just get a portion of singapore noodles (I wouldn't go for the nasi goreng at red 8, it was definitely a bit odd).  I can't bring myself to pay $17 for rice anywhere, even if they do put a few bits of chicken in it! 

You are getting a more authentic chinese experience if you go to KJ Dim Sum in the Rio.  From memory, I can stuff myself and drink unlimited tea for about 20 bucks there.  The food really isn't any worse than you'd get in a standard dim sum place in Hong Kong. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: April 26, 2016, 08:33:12 AM »

Maybe your memory is playing tricks.  You aren't getting any change much/any change from $35 in PF Changs for Kung Po Chicken and rice https://www.pfchangs.com/menu/main/main-entres--chicken/kung-pao-chicken.  Put planet hollywood in there, though you could
 save a couple of bucks if you have a car and can go elsewhere.  I genuinely don't see why anybody would do that when there are decent options elsewhere.

You can get some good noodle soup and a couple of portions of freshly made dim sum for the same money at Red 8, or maybe just get a portion of singapore noodles (I wouldn't go for the nasi goreng at red 8, it was definitely a bit odd).  I can't bring myself to pay $17 for rice anywhere, even if they do put a few bits of chicken in it! 

You are getting a more authentic chinese experience if you go to KJ Dim Sum in the Rio.  From memory, I can stuff myself and drink unlimited tea for about 20 bucks there.  The food really isn't any worse than you'd get in a standard dim sum place in Hong Kong. 

Was tilted from stars new schedule, way too many reentries after some serious run bad.  It would be fine normally, but the new $320 allows two re entries now.  The thought of King po chicken at pf changs on top of that was all too much.  To be fair, I wouldn't eat kung po chicken anywhere. 

Clearly misunderstood the menu at Changs, and the rice isn't anything like as outrageous as it is at Red 8.

Sorry Simon.  You were right, though I still wouldn't make a trip to eat there.

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: April 26, 2016, 10:03:37 AM »

No probs! The rice is free Smiley 

I don't eat Kung Pao chicken either, but insert standard Chinese dish of your choice for comparison purposes.  If you want a "nothing special, hankering for sauce and rice" meal, there are a few places on the strip that everyone has identified itt.  Red8 @ Wynn, NN9 @ Caesars, Noodle Asia @ V, Grand Wok @ MGM, Noodles @ Bellagio, Lemongrass @ Aria, Changs @ PH,  probably some others besides.  I guess everyone will have their own favourites and ones to avoid.  I've eaten in all of those ( you will be unsurprised to hear) apart from Grand Wok.  My least favourite happens to be Noodle Asia.  In all of them, 2 dishes is loads pp, add in a couple of drinks and it is hard to run up much of a bill.

I always rent a car, (although might review that when the parking charges kick in) so I would usually pass over all of those and head to Chinatown.  My go-to's are Yun Nan, Chada, Pho Kim Long, Monta Ramen.  They aren't always easy to find as they are all normally in unremarkable small shopping centres dotted around Spring Mountain.  These are often passed on as recommendations, but a big part of it is exploring and trying stuff out and having your own favs.

I guess it depends how much you like your grub.  I know some that just "eat in the nearest place to wherever I am when I feel hungry" but that invariably means eating in a lot of food courts.  Job done, I suppose, but I always see each trip to a food court as a missed opportunity.

Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: April 26, 2016, 10:22:40 AM »

Noodle Asia was the nuts in the past but has been poor at best for a few years.

Been to PFChangs a couple of times at PH and still not sure why I went a second time.

Red 8 is very good though.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: April 26, 2016, 01:12:58 PM »

Agree with everyone on Red8 being very good, and remember eating there a bunch of times when I was staying in the Tower Suites.

Mate and I would come down intending to get lunch, but would walk straight out of the TS entrance and into there Cheesy

matt_damon

View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: April 27, 2016, 11:01:13 PM »

Can someone kindly enlighten me add to how this Virgin points thing works? How much are the flights working out as?x
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: April 28, 2016, 12:12:46 AM »

Clowns....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-36150328
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 250 251 [252] 253 254 255 256 ... 407 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: