blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:26:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 404 405 [406] 407 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.  (Read 960341 times)
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #6075 on: July 11, 2023, 12:28:07 AM »

i thought my vegas days were over, but i'm suddenly really keen to go back to the WSOP next year.

was there a virgin sale this year?

When is the sweet spot to book flights for next June or July?

There was a sale, but prices seemed very high to Vegas throughout.  It seemed to be at least double what it was 5 or so years ago.

I just look for reward flights, and there seemed to be enough availability on many occasions so long as you travelled weekends.

Rob Price did a post where he got there more cheaply through booking a holiday.  From what I remember it wasn't much more expensive to get a decent hotel than paying for the flights alone.  Will try and find it and link in this post.

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=56335.msg2298740#msg2298740

FWIW I'd probably try and book as early as I could with flights if paying.  Can't remember a year when they got cheap nearer flight time, though somebody could correct me.  Even economy flights have been well over a grand return as June approaches. 

thanks David. Bushy booked last minute this year and paid £1500 for eceonomy. pretty effin ridiculous.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #6076 on: July 11, 2023, 10:28:32 AM »

Saw Gary at the airport with Carlo when I was flying home with Mum.

Flight prices are definitely much more expensive nowadays, but you can  manage to blag some value if flexible.

I got Econ-Delight out & Prem back for a grand when I booked early this year.

Generally you're looking a grand min nowadays, unless you go via Dublin.

I'd fly out sat on the floor, but at the end of the trip I always like to have premium back if possible, and it's invariably the much cheaper leg to fly premium.

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #6077 on: July 11, 2023, 11:44:34 AM »

You've got plenty of time to rack up some airmiles Mr Camel...

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #6078 on: July 11, 2023, 02:02:09 PM »

People always laugh at me when I say this but given prices at the moment, I'd be factoring in a couple of nights in Dublin either side of a Vegas trip nowadays.

Yes you won't save much unless you're willing to go UK-DUB-STOP-LAS on the same day (which I do and dont recommend unless you love flying, its tough) but at least the £300 you'd save on the flight you get to spend on beer and food and having a good time rather than the UK Govt and Woolly Jumper's pocket.

Plus if your 1 stop is somewhere like Dallas, LA, San Fran or Denver (or anywhere in the US rather than Heathrow/Amsterdam) you get to go through US Security at Dublin before you board and just walk off the plane at the other end.

On the other hand, sometimes its just worth it to fly direct. Especially with BA where you dont land til 8pm in the evening at Vegas and as such, the time difference isnt as bad.
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #6079 on: July 11, 2023, 06:18:10 PM »

People always laugh at me when I say this but given prices at the moment, I'd be factoring in a couple of nights in Dublin either side of a Vegas trip nowadays.

Yes you won't save much unless you're willing to go UK-DUB-STOP-LAS on the same day (which I do and dont recommend unless you love flying, its tough) but at least the £300 you'd save on the flight you get to spend on beer and food and having a good time rather than the UK Govt and Woolly Jumper's pocket.

Plus if your 1 stop is somewhere like Dallas, LA, San Fran or Denver (or anywhere in the US rather than Heathrow/Amsterdam) you get to go through US Security at Dublin before you board and just walk off the plane at the other end.

On the other hand, sometimes its just worth it to fly direct. Especially with BA where you dont land til 8pm in the evening at Vegas and as such, the time difference isnt as bad.

And I would recommend that you make sure there’s at least 3 hours’ connection time in Dublin to avoid heart palpitations - or worse!
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #6080 on: July 11, 2023, 08:30:25 PM »

You've got plenty of time to rack up some airmiles Mr Camel...

Yeah, pretty sure you wouldn't pay 1500 for economy return if you just paid the annual fee for the credit card and bought air miles when they had a sale. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #6081 on: September 02, 2023, 11:11:10 AM »

In the old days it was always wake up, check out and head to the airport.  Still getting used to the more recent change to 9pm flight departure, which gives something of a dead last day, unless ofc you are happy just to sit and grind cash on the last afternoon.  This year I added a MyVegas free night to the end of the stay, so effectively just paying RF to have a room for an extra day, store the cases, take showers etc.  And then rented a cabana and chilled by the pool all day, pretty sure this will be how I plan all future trips, was pretty good value and felt like I got back the day that I lost by arriving so late on the 1st day.

Click to see full-size image.

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #6082 on: September 09, 2023, 08:16:25 PM »

Got a pretty sweet deal on Vegas for later this year, but it did take a lot of advance planning....

My daughter turns 21 in December, and since she was little we've talked of going to Vegas for her birthday.

About 18 months ago I signed up for the reward+ credit card which gives a pretty hefty points bonus for a certain spend in the first year, plus a companion/upgrade voucher. Also signed up to virgin red which effectively gives double points (at least) for purchases made through there on things you might be buying anyway (eg Just Eat).

When the day came round that the flights for our dates were released I had enough points to pay for a PE ticket for myself, and the companion voucher to use for Hannah's flight. We just had to pay taxes (which were pretty eye watering at £500 and change each).

Hotel is completely gratis - not been to Vegas for around five years but not paid for a room on my last few trips thanks to MGM Rewards (previously MLife). I'm not a high stakes gambler but a couple of hundred a day in the slots at MGM properties will give you plenty of comp room offers (usually 4 nights) - just need to log into your account to see what's available.

Whilst I'm here, any recommendations for fun nightspots where a 21 year old and a 48 year old will be equally comfortable would be happily received Smiley
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 08:21:10 PM by Claw75 » Logged

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6083 on: September 09, 2023, 09:06:00 PM »

My daughter turns 21 in December

O...M...G! 

The older I get, the better I was.
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #6084 on: September 09, 2023, 11:10:11 PM »

O...M...G! 

I know! Ridiculous isn't it?

Hope you and family are keeping well Tom.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6085 on: September 09, 2023, 11:12:45 PM »

She's beautiful Claire.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6086 on: September 09, 2023, 11:22:20 PM »

We're all good thanks very much.

These are my granddaughters, I have a great granddaughter and a great grandson on the way.

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #6087 on: September 09, 2023, 11:30:20 PM »

We're all good thanks very much.

These are my granddaughters, I have a great granddaughter and a great grandson on the way.

Very proud looking grandad you are! 

Congratulations on the forthcoming additions - of course you don't look nearly old enough to be a great-grandfather!

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6088 on: September 09, 2023, 11:47:02 PM »

I have to post a pic of the daughters as well, otherwise I'll get in trouble.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6089 on: September 10, 2023, 08:11:06 AM »

O...M...G!  

I know! Ridiculous isn't it?

Hope you and family are keeping well Tom.

21 in December? I can barely believe it. She is so beautiful too. You've been a great Mum Claire, xx

PS - I saw a Facebook post about me by "Claire Spinks" a week or two ago. Is that you?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 08:12:53 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 404 405 [406] 407 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: