blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:23:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Compromised Online Accounts
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Compromised Online Accounts  (Read 2095 times)
Autobetkev

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2012, 05:57:57 PM »

Hi Guys,
Over the past couple of days, my Hotmail and Facebook accounts have been hacked. The only thing I have found has happened is that my hacker has sent loads of friend requests, but they seem to be only to fellow poker players. Has anyone else suffered with this situation.
I have found the IP address of the person who has done this, is there anyway in which I can find out where tat IP address is registered to? (I already know the City)
Thanks

How can you soar like an eagle if you surround yourself with turkeys?
pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 06:00:05 PM »

Get a mod here to see if it has ever been used on the forum.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 06:04:33 PM »

It's been happening to a good few poker players this past month.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 06:06:16 PM »

There's been a lot of it about recently - people from here and other poker players have been hit.

Stick the ip address in this link to get info on it.

https://apps.db.ripe.net/search/query.html?searchtext=XX.XXX.XX.XXX
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 06:13:30 PM »

It's been happening to a good few poker players this past month.

and Kev

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
ManuelsMum

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 06:27:40 PM »

FB wouldn't let me log in until I confirmed that i had changed my email password. Then they gave me a warning message saying that a virus (Ramnit I think) had stolen my credentials and posted them on a website (a security firm saw it and alerted FB of this). I have to go now and change all of my passwords for everything.
I did in fact have Ramnit at one point, clean now though. It was tough to remove, took me a few scans and various programs.

Someone used my PC USB port to charge their phone, it got passed across that way.

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me i didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life.
J Lennon
ManuelsMum

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 06:28:59 PM »

Has anyone experience of fingerprint readers that replace passwords? Are they any good?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16426824

A computer worm has stolen 45,000 login credentials from Facebook, security experts have warned.

The data is believed to have been taken largely from Facebook accounts in the UK and France, according to security firm Seculert.

The culprit is a well-known piece of malware - dubbed Ramnit - which has been around since April 2010 and has previously stolen banking details.

Facebook told the BBC that it was looking into the issue.

The latest iteration of the worm was discovered in Seculert's labs.

"We suspect that the attackers behind Ramnit are using the stolen credentials to login to victims' Facebook accounts and to transmit malicious links to their friends, thereby magnifying the malware's spread even further," said the researchers on the firm's blog.

"In addition, cybercriminals are taking advantage of the fact that users tend to use the same password in various web-based services to gain remote access to corporate networks," it added.

'Viral power'
Social networks offer rich pickings for hackers because of the huge amount of personal data that is stored on them. Increasingly malware is being updated for the social networking age.

"It appears that sophisticated hackers are now experimenting with replacing the old-school email worms with more up-to-date social network worms. As demonstrated by the 45,000 compromised Facebook subscribers, the viral power of social networks can be manipulated to cause considerable damage to individuals and institutions when it is in the wrong hands," said Seculert.

According to Seculert, 800,000 machines were infected with Ramnit from September to the end of December 2011.

Microsoft's Malware Protection Center (MMPC) described Ramnit as "a multi-component malware family which infects Windows executable as well as HTML files... stealing sensitive information such as stored FTP credentials and browser cookies".

In July 2011 a Symantec report estimated that Ramnit worm variants accounted for 17.3% of all new malicious software infections.

For Facebook users concerned that they have been affected by the worm, the advice is to run anti-virus software.

"It won't necessarily be obvious that you have been attacked. The worm is stealing passwords so it is not going to announce itself," said Graham Cluley, senior security consultant at Sophos.

Update - Friday 6 January, 10:22am: Facebook has responded to this article with the following statement:

"Last week we received from external security researchers a set of user credentials that had been harvested by a piece of malware. Our security experts have reviewed the data, and while the majority of the information was out-of-date, we have initiated remedial steps for all affected users to ensure the security of their accounts.

"Thus far, we have not seen the virus propagating on Facebook itself, but have begun working with our external partners to add protections to our anti-virus systems to help users secure their devices. People can protect themselves by never clicking on strange links and reporting any suspicious activity they encounter on Facebook.

"We encourage our users to become fans of the Facebook Security Page for additional security information."

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me i didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life.
J Lennon
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 12:24:03 AM »

just got a weird email from dewi, suspect he's been hacked or compromised, whatever you call it

gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 12:34:37 AM »

just got a weird email from dewi, suspect he's been hacked or compromised, whatever you call it

yeah, he has. he knows about it

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 04:42:27 AM »

Facebook needs to introduce an additional layer of security to the login, a 'token' that requires access to an app or mobile as well as the password.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 09:35:09 AM »

was it in english?

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 08:11:27 PM »

Facebook needs to introduce an additional layer of security to the login, a 'token' that requires access to an app or mobile as well as the password.

there is an option available where any attempted logins from an unrecognised device require a texted passcode.  I didn't know this or set it up until after i got hacked, obv.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 09:01:38 PM »

there is an option available where any attempted logins from an unrecognised device require a texted passcode.  I didn't know this or set it up until after i got hacked, obv.

Oh, that's exactly what I meant. Going to switch this on for my account now. If I can see how to do it...

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 09:21:03 PM »

...OK, that's now set up and working. It's been there for AGES, but hidden away and I didn't know it was there.  I'd advise everyone else to use it as well if you're at all worried about the security of your facebook account.

That's my gmail, paypal and now facebook that have the two-step verification. 

Thanks Clur thumbs up

mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 09:22:23 PM »

there is an option available where any attempted logins from an unrecognised device require a texted passcode.  I didn't know this or set it up until after i got hacked, obv.

Oh, that's exactly what I meant. Going to switch this on for my account now. If I can see how to do it...

https://accounts.google.com/b/0/SmsAuthConfig

click this for similar on gmail
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: