blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:03:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272592 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Independence Referendum
Poll
Question: Do you agree that Scotland should be an independent country?
Yes - because it would be better for the Scots
Yes - because the rest of the UK would be better off without the Scots
Don't really know
Don't care
No, the Union is a good thing

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 ... 114 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Independence Referendum  (Read 191157 times)
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: September 08, 2014, 09:29:19 PM »

Never been a fan Of Gordon Brown, but in the speech tonight, thought he laid out the No argument very well.  (sad to watch it with the football I know!)
Obviously he also gave out the bribe timetable of devo-max, which will be backed by all the Westminster parties.
Now he's off on tour to spread his wisdom!...alot better than Darling.
Teacake

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: September 08, 2014, 09:39:23 PM »

Cheers thats the sort of thing I was looking for, I thought Na h-Eileanan Siar might be a good ew runner but it's winner only and the book is probably priced to about 150%

Say the Western Isles FFS - I'm from South Scotland we don't have the Gaelic, I'd to google that Smiley...

Disappointed in you Rodley  Smiley
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 08, 2014, 09:44:38 PM »

Cheers thats the sort of thing I was looking for, I thought Na h-Eileanan Siar might be a good ew runner but it's winner only and the book is probably priced to about 150%

Say the Western Isles FFS - I'm from South Scotland we don't have the Gaelic, I'd to google that Smiley...

Disappointed in you Rodley  Smiley

Racist!! Picking on immigrants for not speaking Gaelic....

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 08, 2014, 10:03:55 PM »

I stand corrected, the pound is falling against the dollar because of Obamas stance on Syria which will of course impact the pound greatly

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xQvJac_NAKI

The look is priceless and sort of indicative of when you try and argue with a yes campaigner even on points they are clearly wrong
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 08, 2014, 10:07:54 PM »

If yes wins, do you reckon we might have a chance of eliminating the ginger gene from England? 
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 08, 2014, 10:17:17 PM »

I stand corrected, the pound is falling against the dollar because of Obamas stance on Syria which will of course impact the pound greatly

The look is priceless and sort of indicative of when you try and argue with a yes campaigner even on points they are clearly wrong

Recognising I'm a late joiner on this, been too busy elsewhere on it, what points are clearly wrong in your eyes?

And if we start a contest of politicians talking nonsense from both sides I reckon you're on a loser....

OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 08, 2014, 10:32:07 PM »

Recognising I'm a late joiner on this, been too busy elsewhere on it, what points are clearly wrong in your eyes?

And if we start a contest of politicians talking nonsense from both sides I reckon you're on a loser....

Not an expert on the deep nuances of it but  political risk and uncertainty are incredibly sensitive issues in currency markets and the £ to $ chart looks to be directly proportionate to the increase in yes support. Every commentary I have read states this.

Conversely Obama threatening action in Syria would to me negatively not positively impact the dollar as it creates uncertainty.

The £ to $ has gone about 10-11c in 5-6 weeks which is pretty huge
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 08, 2014, 10:40:03 PM »

Not an expert on the deep nuances of it but  political risk and uncertainty are incredibly sensitive issues in currency markets and the £ to $ chart looks to be directly proportionate to the increase in yes support. Every commentary I have read states this.

Conversely Obama threatening action in Syria would to me negatively not positively impact the dollar as it creates uncertainty.

I wasn't arguing that - she's obviously made up an answer on the spot & got it wrong. Although I'd say it was the likelihood of Osborne sticking to no currency union that hurts the pound - but yes it's obviously the referendum and the aftermath that has caused a wobble.

It was the end comment that made me wonder if you're not getting the look because of what you think is clearly wrong.

Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 08, 2014, 10:46:05 PM »

all this last minute stuff from Westminster has to be counterproductive doesn't it?

if they meant it, they would have offered it years ago?

if i was a maybe-yes, fairly sure it would tip me over the edge to sticking two fingers up at Gordon Brown who has been wheeled out to front No over the last week!

Its 1979 all over, rubbish the Unionists say.  One wonders if they blocked that sorry period out of history.

Its like Labour voters who blame the SNP for bringing down the Callaghan goverment.  All they did was bring the inevitible forward, he was never going to survive a General Election. 
OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 08, 2014, 10:57:55 PM »

Not an expert on the deep nuances of it but  political risk and uncertainty are incredibly sensitive issues in currency markets and the £ to $ chart looks to be directly proportionate to the increase in yes support. Every commentary I have read states this.

I wasn't arguing that - she's obviously made up an answer on the spot & got it wrong. Although I'd say it was the likelihood of Osborne sticking to no currency union that hurts the pound - but yes it's obviously the referendum and the aftermath that has caused a wobble.

It was the end comment that made me wonder if you're not getting the look because of what you think is clearly wrong.

Regardless of the currency union the pound will be impacted. Currency is not the only political uncertainty.

My point is she was wrong, but she seemed unable to concede that. The problem is people can be saying things like this in houses where there is not someone to correct them.  I am not saying all MPs need to be economists but to blindly rule out the referendum impacts the pound is relatively worrying for an elected official
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: September 08, 2014, 11:05:22 PM »

Regardless of the currency union the pound will be impacted. Currency is not the only political uncertainty.

My point is she was wrong, but she seemed unable to concede that. The problem is people can be saying things like this in houses where there is not someone to correct them.  I am not saying all MPs need to be economists but to blindly rule out the referendum impacts the pound is relatively worrying for an elected official

The referendum wouldn't effect the £ if the UK gov pre-negotiated or at least never backed themselves into a corner shouting "you can't use our uk pound"
Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 08, 2014, 11:24:18 PM »

I read through this thread and despair with the misinformation (albeit unknowingly) reproduced.

Scotland is an ancient nation, much like Ireland, England and Wales, Scotland more than pays its own way, As a result Scotland funds it's own free prescriptions, university education and so on from its own purse.  This is NOT subsidised from the rest of the UK taxpayer. If you don't believe me, feel free to research the figures, go back 100 years if you like, you will find Scotland has contributed a lot more than it's ever got back for at least that long. ( that's before oil!)

I appreciate some of the folks on here will take what information is spoon fed by the media to which they subscribe, wether that's be a left wing outlet or right wing outlet you always get a jaded review of circumstances.

for what it's worth, Scottish independence will be a gift for the English/welsh/ Northern Irish working classes who can with renewed vigour reclaim the power from a London centric government and make your individual countries great again.

As things stand Great Britain is not so great, and the UK has not been "United" for a long time.

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 08, 2014, 11:26:20 PM »

Sorry you're arguing that she was wrong when interviewed live (agreed, she was, she got caught with a question she wasn't expecting), but then you want to criticise her for not admitting she was wrong in the same 2 minute segment? FFS that's ridiculous.

And if we're going to talk about what's been said in houses you're on a loser, it's not Yes under police investigation for terrifying pensioners & telling immigrants they'll be deported.

OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 08, 2014, 11:29:53 PM »

The referendum wouldn't effect the £ if the UK gov pre-negotiated or at least never backed themselves into a corner shouting "you can't use our uk pound"

Well that's just nonsense, uncertainty triggers this, not uncertainty on currency. Every commentary I have read on the internet states uncertainty regarding the referendum and the yes support directly impact the £ rate, some state that there will be an expected bounce back if it is a no vote, as the uk recovery position is favourable against other nations.  

You said it yourself, the hard work starts the day after referendum. It will be years before the market fully trusts an independent Scotland
OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 08, 2014, 11:36:13 PM »

Sorry you're arguing that she was wrong when interviewed live (agreed, she was, she got caught with a question she wasn't expecting), but then you want to criticise her for not admitting she was wrong in the same 2 minute segment? FFS that's ridiculous.

And if we're going to talk about what's been said in houses you're on a loser, it's not Yes under police investigation for terrifying pensioners & telling immigrants they'll be deported.

Come on. It's a simple question, and is typical of my arguments with yes campaigners thus far. Don't concede on any point, even if the world and his dog says otherwise.

I am sure both sides are as guilty of that. I have seen similar stories on the flip side.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 ... 114 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: