blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:07:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Arsenal FC a very promising story
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 ... 279 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arsenal FC a very promising story  (Read 603465 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: January 30, 2015, 11:49:56 AM »

No one doubted Sanchez

Barca appear to have done.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: January 30, 2015, 02:08:25 PM »

It's hardly a judge of a player is it?

He is a regular starter for one of the best defensive units in Spain not an unknown

My query is the price and the fact 12 months ago you could have got him for a tenth of the price.

It sounds like you're saying that it's good business for both then.

Even AW can't be expected to be clairvoyant all the time.

Wasn't it you that doubted AW's wisdom in buying Alexis Sanchez in the summer?

No point even posting that is there really?

Infact that is so far from what i posted ill leave you to it

George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: January 30, 2015, 02:14:09 PM »

No one doubted Sanchez

Barca appear to have done.

Can't really compare Barca to arsenal

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: February 01, 2015, 03:56:03 PM »

3-0

2-0

5-0

Going along nicely now.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TheDazzler

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: February 01, 2015, 04:47:39 PM »

3-0

2-0

5-0

Going along nicely now.

And Bellerin and particularly Coquelin both so good in problem positions for you has to be very pleasing.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: February 01, 2015, 05:09:34 PM »

3-0

2-0

5-0

Going along nicely now.

And Bellerin and particularly Coquelin both so good in problem positions for you has to be very pleasing.

Just about every season since Arsenal last won the title they've had runs like this when they look fantastic.

And all the Wenger supporters pat themselves on the back on smile contentedly.

But the fact is with the talent and resources at Arsenal's disposal they should be going on season-long runs like this.

Once they've won the title and made a CL final or two, then we can finally all agree Arsenal are where they should be.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: February 01, 2015, 05:23:37 PM »

The race for the CL is certainly hotting up! Spurs, Arsenal, United and Liverpool all hitting form. Should be an interesting run in- a little worried United may end up missing out

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: February 01, 2015, 05:37:09 PM »

Once they've won the title and made a CL final or two, then we can finally all agree Arsenal are where they should be.

do you think its realistic for them to win the title though?

Man C have spent £660m since the Qatari's arrived. Abramovich has spent more in his decade at Chelsea

man c in particular seem to defy FFP rules

i know the debate has been had on here before, but surely 3rd for Arsenal, if not consistent fourth, is the equivalent of them winning the league 15 years ago in this competitive environment?

I know Arsenal have £120m in the bank, and the stadium will be paid for, its extremely conservatively run.....but not sure its prudent to all out compete with city and chelsea is it?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TheDazzler

View Profile
« Reply #923 on: February 01, 2015, 05:44:55 PM »

3-0

2-0

5-0

Going along nicely now.

Just about every season since Arsenal last won the title they've had runs like this when they look fantastic.

And all the Wenger supporters pat themselves on the back on smile contentedly.

But the fact is with the talent and resources at Arsenal's disposal they should be going on season-long runs like this.

They have only had 2 years (this and last) when they have decided to be a significant nett spender. They could have done this earlier but they decided to be financially prudent. You can argue whether they should have done this or not.
I would think this season they have gone backwards from last year when they were genuine contenders for a long time so there is that.
But if you remove the financially reckless Man City and Chelsea teams, Arsenal would have done pretty well over the last decade. You can't just say Arsenal should have done better with the 'talent and resources available to them', without looking at their competitors. City and Chelsea have had better talent and resources available to them without worrying about financial prudence.

Edit: slow pony, Tighty got there before me Smiley
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #924 on: February 01, 2015, 05:53:27 PM »

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely areas where Arsenal could have built a team differently to be closer to 1st and 2nd

goalkeeper, centre back, defensive midfield for starters where you'd argue Arsenal haven't got bang for their buck, but not sure winning the title is even feasible in an era with wealthy nations and oil billionaires bankrolling your major competitors

we didn't even mention Man U being a billion in debt (serviced by huge commerical revenues) as well, and outspending you on talent

My eyes are open wide
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #925 on: February 01, 2015, 06:06:58 PM »

Man C have spent £660m since the Qatari's arrived. Abramovich has spent more in his decade at Chelsea

i know the debate has been had on here before, but surely 3rd for Arsenal, if not consistent fourth, is the equivalent of them winning the league 15 years ago in this competitive environment?

I know Arsenal have £120m in the bank, and the stadium will be paid for, its extremely conservatively run.....but not sure its prudent to all out compete with city and chelsea is it?

If I was an Arsenal supporter I wouldn't be happy with 120m in the bank but never challenging for titles.

Atletico beat Real and Barca in Spain (who definitely have a bigger financial advangate than City and Chelsea do over Arsenal), Dortmund have nearly done it in Germany.

Why shouldn't Arsenal do it in England?

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #926 on: February 01, 2015, 06:17:32 PM »

If I was an Arsenal supporter I wouldn't be happy with 120m in the bank but never challenging for titles.

Atletico beat Real and Barca in Spain (who definitely have a bigger financial advangate than City and Chelsea do over Arsenal), Dortmund have nearly done it in Germany.

that is a fair point, Atletico and Dortmund

Arsenal might have done if the team had been built differently

fewer 5 ft 7 flair midfielders and a nastier spine to the team for example

which is where i think it can fairly be argued that Wenger has lost his way

of course the one scenario where Arsenal will make out like bandits is if the TV market collapses, they'll be cash rich in a buyerss market. looks further away than ever though

My eyes are open wide
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #927 on: February 01, 2015, 06:19:52 PM »

Variance?

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #928 on: February 01, 2015, 06:46:15 PM »

Variance?

Taking Atletico..

Results variance? Could just about accept that in the Champions League, but Atletico matched the other two blow for blow in La Liga and won it. 50+ games of running good in total is an awful lot of run good.

Finding decent players all at once? They achieved last season's success having just sold Falcao, who would rated in the top 10 strikers in the world. And Demichealis. Only sold Aguero a couple of seasons ago.

Sold Diego Costa and Filipe Luis in the summer of 2014 and they are right up there again this season.

Their system obvious works despite spending a fraction of the money on transfers and wages that Barca and Real do.

I don't think there is any dispute that Arsenal are in a better competitive position financially than Atletico.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: February 01, 2015, 07:00:50 PM »

Swap gaffers, obv  Grin

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 ... 279 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: