blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:28:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  A simple question
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A simple question  (Read 6212 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2012, 05:44:57 PM »

I just don't get the point of forcing someone to add up the pot themselves, is it so you can feel superior?

no it's because lots of people cant add + make mistakes + dem rules + speed of gameplay.

If you can ask for the pot on one hand, you'd be able to ask every hand, or even on every street. 

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2012, 06:16:19 PM »

I just don't get the point of forcing someone to add up the pot themselves, is it so you can feel superior?

no it's because lots of people cant add + make mistakes + dem rules + speed of gameplay.

If you can ask for the pot on one hand, you'd be able to ask every hand, or even on every street. 

yes - but people won't. Unless they want to deliberately be annoying - and if that's their intention they'll just be currently doing it in a different way.

Because it's the rules is irrelevant - rules can be changed if they're not good rules
To speed up the game is irrelevant because it takes longer for the players that ask to work it out themselves than if the dealer just told them.

Because people can't add up and might make a mistake is a fairly reasonable argument - but like with the string bet rule - how often is that going to apply? How much of a mistake are people going to make because they think there's 120k in the pot when actually there's only 100k for example?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2012, 06:28:03 PM »

It is completely and utterly irrelevant to the business of running a NL game.   
ManuelsMum

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2012, 06:52:40 PM »

Simples.

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me i didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life.
J Lennon
scottbrown

DILLIGAF

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2012, 04:36:03 PM »

No, players should not be told what the pot is. And no, they should not be allowed to bet the pot.

If they want to know how much is in there then they should pay attention.

Obviously online it displays it because it pretty much doesn't have any choice.

But in the live game it is a players responsibility to follow the action and keep a running total (roughly) in their head.

And I agree that the string betting rule needs sorting out. So so so badly missapplied in every tournament I've played in. Throw in some chips where one happens to hit the felt half a second before the rest? OMG. STRING BET. DEALER. STRING BET. GET THE TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR. STRING BET. So so tilting.

When I see that happen I use my better judgement. Like if the blinds are 300/600 someone places 1600 in their hand and moves the hand over the line and that little 100 chip drops out, I won't call string bet because I have just sat and watched them and I know the intent. There are so many factors to take into account. Like if the chips are sticky, if someone has a bad grip. If i see a forward motion from the player, im not going to be a dick and call a string bet when it blatantly wasn't one.

Now i've posted this  i may have to re-think my standing on it or hope players don't use this little snippet of info to their advantage :p
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:41:20 PM by scottbrown » Logged

Dealer at Dusk Till Dawn

No limit hold'em is a game of incomplete information where players must use all available information to make the best possible decision. - Russell Bowman
WarBwastard

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2012, 10:52:12 PM »

I don't think players ask how much is in the pot often enough for it to be such a big deal.  Even knowing the pot size doesn't necessarily mean you'll size your bet properly.  I've often seen dealers stacking the chips rather than lumping them in a pile which makes the pots much easier to count. Easier to count, and when you win a big pot they're easier to incorporate back into your stack than having to re-stack a big pile.

http://la-boca-de-la-cueva.blogspot.com/

http://mexico.worldcupblog.org/

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left." -- Bertrand Russell
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »

I don't think players ask how much is in the pot often enough for it to be such a big deal.

maybe that's because they know they won't be told. I would never ask a dealer the pot size but if rules were changed so they had to tell me then I would ask them everytime if I hadn't been paying attention

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
scottbrown

DILLIGAF

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2012, 04:15:11 AM »

Thats the thing, your playing no limit holdem .....

Your speech would determine the action.

So,

If you said "I would like to bet/raise pot" the dealer would explain you are playing no limit so he/she can not tell you the pot, but since you said bet/raise you have to make an aggressive action, weather thats by your count of the pot or what you like.

If you ask for the count of the pot you would just get the explanation of pot limit and the pot spread.

No dealer should be stacking the pot. Ever. Its fine to stack and pass once the hand is over or if there is an all in being counted but that is it. 

Dealer at Dusk Till Dawn

No limit hold'em is a game of incomplete information where players must use all available information to make the best possible decision. - Russell Bowman
Sulphur man

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2012, 02:44:40 AM »

Player "Pot" Dealer "FFS"

I've never played any game, or done anything that was so powerful at making you believe that you 'owned' it... before making you realize that you actually don't.
Sulphur man

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2012, 02:46:08 AM »

Player "I put him all in" Dealer "Jesus FFS"

I've never played any game, or done anything that was so powerful at making you believe that you 'owned' it... before making you realize that you actually don't.
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2012, 05:41:28 PM »

In live No limit Hold'em, should a player

a) be told what the pot size is by the dealer if asked

b) be able to "bet the pot"

This just happened on my table in the super 50...... No, it wasnt me!
It was annoying and shouldnt be allowed, i have changed my view.
Dealer dealt with it well for the record.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »

Hate it when the dealer spreads the chips so someone who is involved in a hand, but hasn't been paying attention, can start counting the pot. I would outlaw that as well.
scottbrown

DILLIGAF

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2012, 03:14:43 AM »

Hate it when the dealer spreads the chips so someone who is involved in a hand, but hasn't been paying attention, can start counting the pot. I would outlaw that as well.

Thats also down to if some is pretty bad at maths or honestly lost count. Easily done.

Dealer at Dusk Till Dawn

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: