blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:12:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  A question for the over 40's on here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A question for the over 40's on here.  (Read 10180 times)
istrabraq

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 06:38:48 AM »

Probably go for bieng 28 again  my kids would love 2 see me with black hair and not look the oldest picking my 8 year old up from school . Money can't buy you time
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 08:39:33 AM »

28 ainec. I'd even take 38. I don't need money to make me happy.

All the money in the world can't buy time. Your dead for eternity.

What about the amount of good you could do for so many generations of your family and others with that much money though ?

I'm massively in the "you don't need money to be happy" as well as "money isn't everything" camps but it does have a lot of positives.

Such a tough spot to balance.

I don't really know what "All the good I could do" would be though. Oh I know I could buy them fancy stuff and make it so as they never had to work again, but as I said, money doesn't buy happiness.

If my dad were choosing between having loads of money or to be 28 again so that he could spend another 40 years with us, I know which one I would want him to pick.

I watched a programme about Terry Pratchet, millionaire author of the 'Discworld' series of novels recently. He has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. His time is very limited now, and he would gladly give all his millions for a few more years of being able to enjoy the simple pleasures on life. (Which cost nothing anyway)

In the programme, which is called ' Choosing to die' (You can watch it on Youtube) He went to see several terminally ill peope, one of whom was millionaire hotelier Peter Smedley. Peter had decided to go to Switzerland for an assisted suicide. There was no question that he would have given up his millions in a heartbeat to have a little more time.

Frankly, I'm amazed and appalled by some of the comments in this thread, especially the one from Silo Graham, (Sorry Silo) who said "I'd like the cash please, I'd happily skip forward to 41 to get it". 

Andrew Marvell once said:

...but at my back I always hear
time's winged chariot hurrying near..

Well as you get older, you will begin to hear it too. It starts as a gentle sound off somewhere in the distance, and before you know where you are, it's clattering across the cobbles on iron clad wheels. Impossible to ignore. 

Marshall Barer wrote some lyrics, and Don Williams sang them.

I’m just a country boy
Money have I none
But I’ve got silver in the stars
And gold in the morning sun

That pretty much sums it up for me.

I wouldn't sell a year of my life for all the money in the world.

While I get what you're saying Red - I'd not be keen to give up the last 14 years of my life for a do-over either - they're part of what makes me me.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 08:41:26 AM »

But we're not talking about becoming someone else or forgetting what you've learned. We're just talking about being younger.

The older I get, the better I was.
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 08:44:34 AM »

28 for me every time
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 09:22:37 AM »

But we're not talking about becoming someone else or forgetting what you've learned. We're just talking about being younger.

Ah I was taking it wrong. 28 please.... a lot more experience, and a fully functioning pancreas!!!

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 09:24:57 AM »

Suppose it depends on personal circumstances too.  There's just no way I want to go through learning things all over again.  With the money, I'd be able to see my kids more often now and leave them (and future generations) something substantial when I'm gone.  Win win all around imo.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Snatiramas
Loving London

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2012, 09:42:59 AM »

Having such a good time right now with no money, that at the ripe old age of 49 I would definitely go back to 28.
Money will never bring happiness if you are not happy now.

The most insidious of rules are those that aren't rules at all.
They are the limitations that we invent for ourselves
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2012, 09:48:17 AM »

Incred post by Tom.

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2012, 09:54:32 AM »

I'm 58 and my first thought was to take the money - I reckon I have a good 20 years ahead of me and although being loaded doesn't make you immune from stuff like cancer and alzheimers it does have an impact on life expectancy and makes dealing with stuff like that a lot easier.

Then the caveat that you  can be 28, unemployed, and have learnt the lessons of the past 30 years was introduced, so I thought OK, sounds good, all that 'extra time with your kids' and family stuff seemed convincing.

Until I realised that I'd be 28, unemployed with two daughters one of whom, would be older than me, and I'd have a 56 year old wife

So I'll take the money thanks.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2012, 09:55:32 AM »

It sounds very romantic to take the 28 again option, especially for things like spending quality time with the family. But if you're unemployed the reality is your family would be like wtf we've got bills to pay get a job. So you would have to get a job which takes you away from the family and it could be a struggle day to day. With the money you can spend every second with your family and provide a standard of living that they can only dream about. What's more you could put that money to good use helping charities. So deffo the money for me. However, if the age option was 18 it would be a different matter. Oh my lord to be 18 again.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2012, 09:57:45 AM »

I am 28 and I would take the money to wake up and be 48! With that sort of money you have a decent 20yrs left in you.

15 - 23yrs old were my glory days, at 28 its already over. Just grinding out the 9-5 til mortgage is paid and I can start living again. Would turn down any amount to snap go back to 15 and I would do everything the exact same as I already did, but maybe take a video camera this time around.

smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2012, 10:02:21 AM »

I am 28 and I would take the money to wake up and be 48! With that sort of money you have a decent 20yrs left in you.

15 - 23yrs old were my glory days, at 28 its already over. Just grinding out the 9-5 til mortgage is paid and I can start living again. Would turn down any amount to snap go back to 15 and I would do everything the exact same as I already did, but maybe take a video camera this time around.
Lol. Yeah if only we had iPhones when I was at my peak. Nowadays it's limp to jizz in about 30 seconds.

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2012, 10:02:58 AM »

At a shade under 37 I'm not quite qualified to post on this thread but it'd definitely be the money for me.

I love my life as it is and don't feel the need to be younger again. I certainly don't feel old that's for sure.

Also for the older people saying that they'd take the years how do you think the wife would feel about having a toy boy all of a sudden?

You think the kids would be happy having a dad younger than them?

Suddenly going from 50 to 28 would have loads of problems. I think it'd ruin your life to be honest.

Now if we're talking about having an extra 20 years tagged on at the end it may be a different story. As long as they were healthy years I think if you offered me a guarantee that I'd live to 100 I'd probably go with that over the cash.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2012, 10:13:11 AM »

Lol. Yeah if only we had iPhones when I was at my peak. Nowadays it's limp to jizz in about 30 seconds.

This stuff should be in your diary Jase

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2012, 10:40:02 AM »

I'm 39 so skipping to 41 is no biggie.

Isn't it a bit different if you are older with grown up children?  You could be possibly be going back to be younger than they are and I'm not sure I'd like that.  I certainly wouldn't want to outlive them.  What about your wife/partner?  They wouldn't be 28.  This would be amplified with older people, maybe a 60 year old married to a 28 year old and again I'd outlive them by possibly 30 years.

Part of life is growing old and growing old with loved ones and seeing your children and grandchildren grow. I don't think I'd want to change that.  Perhaps wording it as 'Money please not even close' was a bit flippant but I don't think going back to be a lot younger would be all it's cracked up to be.

Just my thoughts on it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: