blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 11:45:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272630 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Brazil 2014, Brazil 2016!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brazil 2014, Brazil 2016!  (Read 4508 times)
aaron1867

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2012, 11:03:54 AM »

Not sure if you guys have noticed, but Brazil are hosting the World Cup in 2014, then the Olympics in 2016, what exciting times it must be for them. It will see a massive boost for pretty much the whole country over the next 4-6 years for sure.

But should this be allowed to happen?

I know that both events are totally different to each other, but surely a bit of common sense should have been added for spectators and to spread such great events.

You only have to look at the cost to just a normal European person who likes to venture to these events as a holiday, it will cost a fortune for them?! Surely as exciting as this is for Brazil, a bit of common sense must be added, or is this a matter of they have had the best bid for both, it doesn't matter about anything else?
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 11:08:50 AM »

They're probably one of the only countries in the world that can take on the financial burden

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 11:12:02 AM »

They're probably one of the only countries in the world that can take on the financial burden

I don't believe in all this financial stuff of who and who can't afford to host such events, because I believe most countries will make their money back on the events in the long run and social benefits are worth their weight in gold, no?
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 11:12:14 AM »

There is no shortage of people with cash in Brazil, don't fall into the trap of thinking everyone there is skint because of the stuff that is shown us on TV etc. Most of the stuff we see tends to focus on the poorer half of society.

Also now they are doing well economywise, maybe they should have to pay back some of the debts that got cancelled years back?
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 11:12:33 AM »

FIFA and IOC completely different organisations, votes for both hosts completely unrelated

S America historically v under-represented in hosting both events, so an element of catch up now the infratstructures and S American finances allow a bid

Theoretically, we could have had WC in 18 and be hosting both in six years

At least as a European Supporter there is a FIFA commitment to European host countries every 2 or 3 cycles

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 11:13:51 AM »

I don't believe in all this financial stuff of who and who can't afford to host such events, because I believe most countries will make their money back on the events in the long run and social benefits are worth their weight in gold, no?

Until recently most Olympics lost money

The financial stuff is crucial, any social or legacy benefits very secondary to being able to afford to host the thing in the first place

My eyes are open wide
shedboymuff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 11:14:20 AM »

a friend of mine has just announced he is to marry his Portuguese girlfried in Brazil whilst the world cup is on!

how can i not go?

just need Scotland to qualify now

@shedboymuff
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 11:14:37 AM »

Don't think the long term is that comforting in the middle of a huge financial crisis

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 11:15:17 AM »

a friend of mine has just announced he is to marry his Portuguese girlfried in Brazil whilst the world cup is on!

how can i not go?

just need Scotland to qualify now

Hope he's rich  Cheesy
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 11:26:48 AM »

I understand that both sporting organisations, but I just thought common sense would have come into this and not awrd the two biggest sporting events to the same county on the trot?

The whole financial things is a lot of BS in my view. Of course sometimes money does have to come into it if you are in such a mess as Greece or possibly Spain and Portugal, but the reality in my own view is that unless you mess up the games royally, then there isn't that much to lose, when you consider they some countries are throwing billions are other countries or billions just to bail out EU countries, etc.

It is said that it has cost us £9bn to fund these games, but we are going to at least break even or show profit over the next few years of the new look London in certain areas, but even if we don't and we lose £2bn, we are still throwing tens of billions at being in the EU anyway. etc... etc...
Josedinho

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 06:13:11 PM »

Common sense that it should happen more isn't it? Countries are likely to have less cash available to host major events so make it more attractive for them buy letting them build stadiums and infrastructure that will be used for more than one event.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 09:35:28 PM »

Pics of the Brazil Olympic and WC facilities

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-19243023

My eyes are open wide
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 12:36:12 AM »

Looking forward to Rio 2016 already. Some excellent talent coming through, as seen at the recent IAAF World Junior Championships in Barcelona:

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: