blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:40:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 340647 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 02, 2012, 11:49:22 AM »

I set my search rating to try and only play people who are better than me but I was getting thrashed quite often tbh. Put it back down to play people the same level as me and my record now stands at victory within 7 moves. wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii. Also downloaded Chessmaster 10 so will be giving that a go whenever I get a chance.

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=354900787

Yes, well done.

If you want to beat better players, you might want to shore up the openings a bit: develop your pieces first and leave Her Majesty at home. 2.h5 is a bit of a time-waste and, although it doesn't immediately bring you problems, you'll find yourself a move behind in your development and wishing you hadn't played it.

Love the attacking, tho.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: September 02, 2012, 11:51:41 AM »

Akiba Rubenstein

He brought us a puzzle once. White to play and mate in 4.

Took me bloody ages, but got there in the end. Was looking for a mate with the rook down h, but black always had an escape.

Eventually went for a more radical approach, and there's the answer!

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: September 02, 2012, 11:52:50 AM »

Akiba Rubenstein

He brought us a puzzle once. White to play and mate in 4.

Wow!! I solved this one in my head. First time I've ever done that; I'm usually useless at chess puzzles.

At first I assumed it would be some sort of mate with the rook on the h-file, forcing Black to take the h2 pawn due to zugswang, and having the blacks pawns block in the King. But I couldn't make it work any way I tried. I was just about to go get a chess board and have a proper go when suddenly something flashed in my brain and I saw it. Obviously once you see the first move the rest is simple since it is forced.
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: September 02, 2012, 11:53:58 AM »

Wow Kinboshi... we must have been doing it at exactly the same time, and having exactly the same thought process. Gutted that you beat me to posting by one minute!!!
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: September 02, 2012, 11:59:08 AM »

I probably started earlier! I was also going to get my chess board, but only know where the pieces are and haven't seen the board since I moved a year ago.

Scarily similar thought processes though. I'd be afraid and disappointed if I were you Cheesy

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 02, 2012, 12:00:16 PM »

I set my search rating to try and only play people who are better than me but I was getting thrashed quite often tbh. Put it back down to play people the same level as me and my record now stands at victory within 7 moves. wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii. Also downloaded Chessmaster 10 so will be giving that a go whenever I get a chance.

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=354900787

Yes, well done.

If you want to beat better players, you might want to shore up the openings a bit: develop your pieces first and leave Her Majesty at home. 2.h5 is a bit of a time-waste and, although it doesn't immediately bring you problems, you'll find yourself a move behind in your development and wishing you hadn't played it.

Love the attacking, tho.

haha, thanks for being so polite. Yea, realise my openings are terrible, there is no rhyme or reason really. Most of what I try to do is just counter-intuitive. The amount of times I get myself into tough spots or think to myself "why did i just do that" is a joke. Hence the acquiring of chessmaster to iron out some of these kinks. As many have said, <3 this Fred.

Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: September 02, 2012, 12:08:26 PM »

I probably started earlier! I was also going to get my chess board, but only know where the pieces are and haven't seen the board since I moved a year ago.

Scarily similar thought processes though. I'd be afraid and disappointed if I were you Cheesy

I think the thought process we both clearly went through makes it almost certain to discover the real solution. Because in examining the original idea of mate down the h-file we already worked on the theme of the White King being placed on the f-file so as to block off the Black King's escape, and of course we knew that it would have to be some sort of zugswang motif to enable the final mate (although it turned out to be a much different one to that which we were both originally examining).

I am pretty pleased with myself since I can never do these things in my head - and not even that often on a board either. It is a bit scary that we were clearly simultaneously thinking the exact same thing though. Weird.

Took me less than 10 minutes, and I was 6-tabling PLO at the same time so not 100% focussed on it! Sounds like a brag, but just stating the truth Wink
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: September 02, 2012, 12:09:38 PM »

Millidonk, one piece of chess advice I was given very early on (and it goes for poker too) is "a bad plan is better than no plan at all". Wood-pushing (making moves with no tactics or strategy behind what you're doing is going to hurt your chances of winning.

So have a plan, change it where necessary, and try to improve on it.

Could be as simple as "want to develop my pieces and get my king safely castled" or "get the minor pieces out and focused on an attack on the weak c-pawn" or even "I don't like it when I can't get my bishops active, so make sure I get them developed early to help my attack".

As Tal said, read up on some openings and have a repertoire of openings that have been well studied in your armoury. At least it'll mean you won't be at a huge disadvantage going into the middle game.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: September 02, 2012, 12:15:34 PM »

I think the thought process we both clearly went through makes it almost certain to discover the real solution. Because in examining the original idea of mate down the h-file we already worked on the theme of the White King being placed on the f-file so as to block off the Black King's escape, and of course we knew that it would have to be some sort of zugswang motif to enable the final mate (although it turned out to be a much different one to that which we were both originally examining).

I am pretty pleased with myself since I can never do these things in my head - and not even that often on a board either. It is a bit scary that we were clearly simultaneously thinking the exact same thing though. Weird.

Took me less than 10 minutes, and I was 6-tabling PLO at the same time so not 100% focussed on it! Sounds like a brag, but just stating the truth Wink

Took me 15 minutes, but I was watching the missus getting dressed and walking round in her underwear, so wasn't fully focused either (thin brag).

My focus was on the black king being blocked in by two pawns on g, and somehow the king having to take white's pawn on h3 allowing the rook to take the h-pawn for mate. This was a blind alley obviously, but think I got a mate in 6 this way, but that wasn't the puzzle.

Enough of the mental gymnastics, off for a 15-mile+ run now...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 12:18:04 PM by kinboshi » Logged

millidonk

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 02, 2012, 12:21:05 PM »

Millidonk, one piece of chess advice I was given very early on (and it goes for poker too) is "a bad plan is better than no plan at all". Wood-pushing (making moves with no tactics or strategy behind what you're doing is going to hurt your chances of winning.

Could be as simple as "want to develop my pieces and get my king safely castled" or "get the minor pieces out and focused on an attack on the weak c-pawn" or even "I don't like it when I can't get my bishops active, so make sure I get them developed early to help my attack".

As Tal said, read up on some openings and have a repertoire of openings that have been well studied in your armoury. At least it'll mean you won't be at a huge disadvantage going into the middle game.

Yea, I always have a plan when I play poker. When I play chess I kind of go through the motions with my openings then when there is space I start with my plans. I am aware this is obviously a terrible strategy.

One thing I have noticed is that probably about 75% of my wins have been against people casteling. I try and avoid it most of the time. It just doesn't make sense to me, obviously freeing up the rook is helpful but pinning the king in the corner just seems terrible.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 02, 2012, 12:21:14 PM »

Wise words.

I'd go as far as to say don't force a plan until you've nearly completed your development. Whatever you decide to do (attack the kingside, make a break through the centre, swap the pieces off and outplay him in the endgame...), you'll need your pieces out.

A young lad once asked me while I was doing a session in a school "why do you need to develop?".

I said "picture the scene: it's November 1917. The Brits are in a trench in a dark, muddy part of Belgium. The Captain assembles the boys as shellfire rains overhead. "Right-ho lads. Orders are in from H.Q. Watson, you go over the top. Everyone else, stay here and play cards." And off goes Watson with his Tommy gun..."

It's an absurd example, but why would you attack without your full artillery?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 02, 2012, 12:24:05 PM »

Millidonk, if you didn't castle against me, I would open up the centre by exchanging pawns in the middle. With my rook on e1, pointing at your king, it would start to get pretty unpleasant.

millidonk

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 02, 2012, 12:27:07 PM »

Millidonk, if you didn't castle against me, I would open up the centre by exchanging pawns in the middle. With my rook on e1, pointing at your king, it would start to get pretty unpleasant.

Note to self. Incorporate castleing into my game.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: September 02, 2012, 12:28:09 PM »

Yea, I always have a plan when I play poker. When I play chess I kind of go through the motions with my openings then when there is space I start with my plans. I am aware this is obviously a terrible strategy.

One thing I have noticed is that probably about 75% of my wins have been against people casteling. I try and avoid it most of the time. It just doesn't make sense to me, obviously freeing up the rook is helpful but pinning the king in the corner just seems terrible.

A castled king is usually the safest king. Harder to get to than one in the middle, like you say it helps get your rook into play as well. If you elect not to castle, you have to be prepared to defend from attacks down both flanks and the centre. All at the same time as trying to launch your own artillery.

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 02, 2012, 01:14:52 PM »

... my record now stands at victory within 7 moves. wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii....

How many games you win and how good the people who you beat are is what is important - how quickly you win the game is irrelevant and if you're focussed on that you're just more likely to skip over some development which is going to hamper your game whenever you don't tie it up quickly.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: