blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:03:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272483 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Issues Arising from Staking
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 [39] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Issues Arising from Staking  (Read 81705 times)
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: July 30, 2014, 05:34:25 PM »

yeah i think in general we will just see less staking threads rather than it being the time of year.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 30, 2014, 06:22:18 PM »

There doesn't seem to be as much staking money around nowadays.  I know I have cut back quite a bit and it is rare for anything to sell out as quick as last year even when I buy.  Think this has happened despite most markups been a bit more realistic these days. 

Still see a few mad ones on Facebook though. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 30, 2014, 06:43:16 PM »

One trend that has developed amongst our group is swapping instead of selling. It's become more attractive to swap with players of a similar standard than to sell at low markup.

For example, player A thinks he has a 50% ROI, and would happily sell at 1.25 or 1.3 to give investors a good margin, but would not be happy selling at 1.1 when they could swap with a group of players with similar ROIs and achieve a much higher overall expectation from the tournament, and do it without treading on toes by selling at a markup that was deemed too high by some.

I much prefer it and gives us all a sweat and saves loads of hassle of creating threads, running threads, collecting money etc when you can arrange a swap in <5 words via text.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 30, 2014, 07:12:12 PM »

One trend that has developed amongst our group is swapping instead of selling. It's become more attractive to swap with players of a similar standard than to sell at low markup.

For example, player A thinks he has a 50% ROI, and would happily sell at 1.25 or 1.3 to give investors a good margin, but would not be happy selling at 1.1 when they could swap with a group of players with similar ROIs and achieve a much higher overall expectation from the tournament, and do it without treading on toes by selling at a markup that was deemed too high by some.

I much prefer it and gives us all a sweat and saves loads of hassle of creating threads, running threads, collecting money etc when you can arrange a swap in <5 words via text.

Tough decision, do I sell at 1.1 or swap with Deadman? 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 30, 2014, 07:15:21 PM »

Tough decision, do I sell at 11.0 or swap with Deadman? 

FYP
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 31, 2014, 11:11:59 AM »

Pleno has hit it.

2 years ago there were two legitimate options for someone selling shares in a tournament; i) Sell to your pals on a "take 30% of me in this comp could you mate" kinda deal and usually when your doing this you know the person your asking financial position and aptitude for punting so providing there is no mark-up should be very easy, or ii) write a long, detailed staking thread post graphs, suffer flames if necessary and endure the admin of dealing with people you dont know personally - and can charge 1.2, 1.25 or something like that.

Given the state of everything that is and has been going on r.e staking combined with the fact that there is prolly a slow-up in disposable money in general for this kind of thing I don't think it's much surprise that i) has become  the winner.

I personally made a decision about 2~ years ago that I will never sell at mark-up in tournaments ever, in that time I've sold for $5k 6m PLO (which is my strongest game) massive runner high gte UK live tournaments and the WSOP main event at spot, and when i do this I only sell to people who I know will give me a similar amount of action back in return - or good friends who'd buy quite indiscriminately and frequently. So nowadays when people come to me wanting to sell X at 1.2 even if they are a really good deal at that I just dont do it because I can take (albeit often small) pieces of some amazing poker players at spot rate.

Result is I share (give and take) equity with people I trust and like and I can play pretty much any tournament with any buyin I like(within reason ofc Smiley )

pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 31, 2014, 05:56:20 PM »

I often thought about swaps too. Is there a lot of variance in swaps?

It's hard to find 10 people to swap 5% of you whose roi will be within 5% of yours and ofc with tournament variance it's incredibly easy for all to brick etc.

Should swapping just be done with people with bjg rolls?

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 31, 2014, 06:00:02 PM »

I often thought about swaps too. Is there a lot of variance in swaps?

It's hard to find 10 people to swap 5% of you whose roi will be within 5% of yours and ofc with tournament variance it's incredibly easy for all to brick etc.

Should swapping just be done with people with bjg rolls?

Course it should.  Swapping is not the same as selling action as you still have variance whereas with staking you are getting the x% sold in hard cash rather than another highly variable form which you do when you swop.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 31, 2014, 06:55:44 PM »

when you sell 5% of a £1k at 1.2 you receive £60 in cash.

when you swap 5% of a £1k with a player you believe to have a 50% roi you receive £75 worth of equity for your 5% so in theory you are "winning" on the deal.

Obviously though there is added variance of equity vs money (nothing ever has a true £ value until it's in your hands in £'s) the variance of that player ROI not being true (he plays badly, he's not as good as you think he is and so on) although ofc that can go in the other direction too!!

Obviously though this is all pretty much irrelevant. If you need the money, sell, if you want the action, swap. Simples.

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 18, 2017, 06:02:51 PM »

Thanks for your post Simon. 

I have used thomasexchange* in the past, and tend to have a few dollars to add to the fund from last time.  Would be a novelty to come back with more than I went with and guess I (or you!) should put some thought in to it. 

Thanks  very much

* love urls with a double meaning, anyone want sexytime should go to http://www.analemma.com/ , if you enjoy yourself there, you could always buy her a gift at http://www.whorepresents.com/

Somehow I remembered whorepresents when I saw Ed Sheeran post about an album party on twitter!

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 [39] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: