blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:38:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Post bust-out handshakes
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post bust-out handshakes  (Read 25233 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2012, 12:43:26 PM »

"Quick lads, look the other way - here's comes Tom and Tikay and they'll want to shake hands with us. Especially that Kendall fella who bet against us"

Quick Andrew, look the other way. She's invited you in for coffee and she might not have bleached her cups...

The older I get, the better I was.
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2012, 12:46:12 PM »

If poker is to be accepted as a sport then the players need to act in a sporting manner both in winning and defeat.
Nothing wrong in shaking hands upon your exit from the table. It shows respect and manners, true sportsmanship.

In an extreme case,if we have a guy thats just given us a bad beat and 2 outed us on the river, he's an absolute tool at the table mouthing off all the time, we get it in, with him in terrible shape, he sucks out , high fives the dealer and the rest of the players at the table, then jumps over to you to shake your hand upon your exit. We now show real class when we just calmly shake his hand and wish him good luck. Few players will have this mindset and the character to act in a sporting manner in defeat regardless of how the opponent acts. That's what separates the true sporting heroes imo. They know they can control their emotions and return to do battle another day. They will be winners in their own mind and looked upon that way and greatly respected by the majority of people . A true gent / lady is a pleasure to be in the company of.

For those that refuse to shake hands,  just rush of to the bar or out of the building it shows a complete lack of class imo. Like crying little dummy spitters who just lost their toy.
It's a game ! Ok money prizes,trophies, medals for the winners , but is that not what all sporting events have. Some of the attitudes in this thread towards shaking an opponents hand are disgraceful imo, and its attitudes and actions like this that will keep poker from being recognised as a true sport.

Poker will never be recognised as a sport. My family/friends look down on people who play poker, especially as a living. I cant see people who dont play poker will ever see it as anything but gambling.
Well it's down to the players and how they conduct themselves to change these perceptions.

I don't think it is

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2012, 12:48:32 PM »

"Quick lads, look the other way - here's comes Tom and Tikay and they'll want to shake hands with us. Especially that Kendall fella who bet against us"

Loving Trott's cheeky glance at the camera.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
MTT DESTROYER

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2012, 12:50:16 PM »

It's funny how many seasoned tournament players in this thread still cant handle busting to a bad beat.
Gizsumcash

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2012, 12:51:29 PM »

If poker is to be accepted as a sport then the players need to act in a sporting manner both in winning and defeat.
Nothing wrong in shaking hands upon your exit from the table. It shows respect and manners, true sportsmanship.

In an extreme case,if we have a guy thats just given us a bad beat and 2 outed us on the river, he's an absolute tool at the table mouthing off all the time, we get it in, with him in terrible shape, he sucks out , high fives the dealer and the rest of the players at the table, then jumps over to you to shake your hand upon your exit. We now show real class when we just calmly shake his hand and wish him good luck. Few players will have this mindset and the character to act in a sporting manner in defeat regardless of how the opponent acts. That's what separates the true sporting heroes imo. They know they can control their emotions and return to do battle another day. They will be winners in their own mind and looked upon that way and greatly respected by the majority of people . A true gent / lady is a pleasure to be in the company of.

For those that refuse to shake hands,  just rush of to the bar or out of the building it shows a complete lack of class imo. Like crying little dummy spitters who just lost their toy.
It's a game ! Ok money prizes,trophies, medals for the winners , but is that not what all sporting events have. Some of the attitudes in this thread towards shaking an opponents hand are disgraceful imo, and its attitudes and actions like this that will keep poker from being recognised as a true sport.

Poker will never be recognised as a sport. My family/friends look down on people who play poker, especially as a living. I cant see people who dont play poker will ever see it as anything but gambling.
Well it's down to the players and how they conduct themselves to change these perceptions.

If everyone started shaking hands and being true gentlemen it would not change peoples perspective on poker. People will still class it as gambling, it will never be seen as a sport. Ever.

I love my fear
treefella

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2012, 12:51:45 PM »

For those that refuse to shake hands,  just rush of to the bar or out of the building it shows a complete lack of class imo. Like crying little dummy spitters who just lost their toy.

Could not disagree with this more. How is shaking a classless guys hand showing true class?
You just don't get it do you.
By shaking the guys hand we show we are not at his level, we are better than him , we are not worried or phased by his actions . We just lost at a game but at least can show we have self respect and will act with good manners in the most difficult of circumstances.By just storming off into the crowd refusing to shake hands we show we are really no better than him when it comes to manners and decorum.

You're not worried or phased by his actions, yet you want to show that you're better than him?

Story does not check out.
Of course it checks out lol
If someone pushes past us , do we then push past others to get to him ?

treefella

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »

If everyone started shaking hands and being true gentlemen it would not change peoples perspective on poker. People will still class it as gambling, it will never be seen as a sport. Ever.
  Remember the same being said about Darts,Backgammon,Pool, Snooker,it will happen i'm sure of it , but going to take a whole lot longer until attitudes and perceptions change.
 It's down to the players to act like gentlemen yes it is ! Why wouldn't you want to ?
atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2012, 01:01:58 PM »

Would love to have that Chinese guy off banzai ready to pounce on the camel and keep shaking his hand for 3 mins when he busts his next tourney

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
Gizsumcash

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2012, 01:06:30 PM »

Remember the same being said about Darts,Backgammon,Pool, Snooker,it will happen i'm sure of it , but going to take a whole lot longer until attitudes and perceptions change.
 It's down to the players to act like gentlemen yes it is ! Why wouldn't you want to ?
I cannot see a card game being classed as a sport. Snooker and darts are totally different to poker. Im not saying that players should not act like gentleman, of course i would rather people werent ignorant, im just saying that it wouldnt change peoples views on poker.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:08:24 PM by Gizsumcash » Logged

I love my fear
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2012, 01:09:13 PM »

From my perspective as someone both within poker and part of the mainstream media I can't ever see it. And the more we try and make poker into a sport like darts or snooker the more chances we miss to make the game bigger and better and more attractive to the mainstream.

Just imo.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2012, 01:18:13 PM »

What I type here is more just to explain why I find this whole debate so interesting than to suggest poker has it wrong:

My other two game hobbies are chess and pool. In both, you shake hands before and afterwards whatever happens and it is the most egregious insult not to. I've seen fights (in pool; just arguments in chess) over a refusal to shake hands. Actual fisticuffs.

In pool, you can fluke 8 balls in a row and there is still a handshake afterwards, even if it just cost you your 100% record, your team the cup and your dignity in front of your teammates.

As an interesting aside, a long time ago, I was playing chess in the English Junior Squad Championships. The game was drawing to a conclusion and neither of us had much time left on our clocks, so pieces were moving about quickly, adrenaline levels peaking and an audience of kibitzers (rail birds) keeping close watch.

I made a move and announced checkmate, in the honest belief that it was. My opponent agreed (it's a silly thing but sometimes a single escape can be missed by both players; there are odd blind spots) and offered his hand, which I shook.

A voice from behind me said "That's not mate! What about King b5?!" We both realised that we had missed this and, neither of us having seen this situation before, we called over the arbiter (TD) to advise.

His conclusion was that we had both shaken hands on the result. However incorrect it was, a conclusion had been agreed between the parties and the handshake sealed the deal.

It was embarrassing to us both of course but an interesting example of how a handshake is viewed elsewhere.

Some people in chess are rubbish at handshakes BTW; limper than Cheryl Cole's hair before her l'oreal treatment; weaker than a fifth pot bet on a multi way flop. You have to just let it go and resolve to beat them Smiley

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2012, 01:20:24 PM »

What I type here is more just to explain why I find this whole debate so interesting than to suggest poker has it wrong:

My other two game hobbies are chess and pool. In both, you shake hands before and afterwards whatever happens and it is the most egregious insult not to. I've seen fights (in pool; just arguments in chess) over a refusal to shake hands. Actual fisticuffs.

In pool, you can fluke 8 balls in a row and there is still a handshake afterwards, even if it just cost you your 100% record, your team the cup and your dignity in front of your teammates.

As an interesting aside, a long time ago, I was playing chess in the English Junior Squad Championships. The game was drawing to a conclusion and neither of us had much time left on our clocks, so pieces were moving about quickly, adrenaline levels peaking and an audience of kibitzers (rail birds) keeping close watch.

I made a move and announced checkmate, in the honest belief that it was. My opponent agreed (it's a silly thing but sometimes a single escape can be missed by both players; there are odd blind spots) and offered his hand, which I shook.

A voice from behind me said "That's not mate! What about King b5?!" We both realised that we had missed this and, neither of us having seen this situation before, we called over the arbiter (TD) to advise.

His conclusion was that we had both shaken hands on the result. However incorrect it was, a conclusion had been agreed between the parties and the handshake sealed the deal.

It was embarrassing to us both of course but an interesting example of how a handshake is viewed elsewhere.

Some people in chess are rubbish at handshakes BTW; limper than Cheryl Cole's hair before her l'oreal treatment; weaker than a fifth pot bet on a multi way flop. You have to just let it go and resolve to beat them Smiley

Great post.

The older I get, the better I was.
atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2012, 01:32:50 PM »

I would suggest from Toms background a handshake can mean much more than a welcome, whole financial deals are made by it in my experience with travellers, i have bought and sold many vehicles to/from travellers and never once has a handshake finalized deal ever been welched upon.

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2012, 01:33:59 PM »

The poker equivalent of the pool handshake is to shake 500 hands pre and post. Not too practical. At a final I might shake a few hands to show im a great guy

sola virtus nobilitat
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2012, 01:38:19 PM »

The poker equivalent of the pool handshake is to shake 500 hands pre and post. Not too practical. At a final I might shake a few hands to show im a great guy

Lol and a half!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: