blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:05:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272577 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Post bust-out handshakes
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post bust-out handshakes  (Read 25264 times)
leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 22, 2012, 08:18:19 AM »

As has been said in the thread, it is up to the loser of the hand to offer a handshake, not the winner. It is the loser's moment, his opportunity for a final gesture at the table - whether handshake, comment, or leaving quietly in silence. The winner should melt into the background, quietly stacking his spoils of victory - this is not his time.

Exactly this, I would much rather shake the hand of someone that beat me, outdrew me, sucked out on me with his one outer than the twat that rants and raves about how lucky my opponent was. The day I can't lose gracefully will be my last game.
I remember very clearly a heavy cash game when speech play was frowned upon, a gentleman clearly lost very much more than he could afford, the game lasted well over 48 hours, with a few trips to the bank calmly whispering to me 'Could you lock my seat up for 10 minutes please'. About the 5th time and around £35k later he came back and stated that he was done, went around the table and offered his hand to everyone and with a smile said he enjoyed the game. One very well known British player was losing about £2k and was being vocal to me and the other dealer, refused to shake his hand.
From a dealers prospective there was one prick at the table.
You can't buy class.
To55er

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 22, 2012, 08:24:48 AM »

Not sure about the whole hygiene argument. How do you people ever leave the house?

....or touch chips & cards (which every other player also touches) with their bare hands, if they are minded not to shake hands with a player because he may not wash his hands after going to the toilet?

I would say the majority of men walk out of the toilets without washing their hands.

Turns my stomach.
Doesn't stop me shaking hands when appropriate, just means I wash my own hands again before eating Wink
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 22, 2012, 08:37:30 AM »

Not sure about the whole hygiene argument. How do you people ever leave the house?

....or touch chips & cards (which every other player also touches) with their bare hands, if they are minded not to shake hands with a player because he may not wash his hands after going to the toilet?

I would say the majority of men walk out of the toilets without washing their hands.

Turns my stomach.
Doesn't stop me shaking hands when appropriate, just means I wash my own hands again before eating Wink

Quite so - but does it turn your stomach when you touch the chips & cards?

There are likely MORE germs on the chips & cards than on one individual's hand. Hand hand, I mean, the thing attached to his wrist, not his cards. Wink

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: August 22, 2012, 08:44:09 AM »

Still at this? What are you lot like?

Let it go FFS!

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 22, 2012, 08:54:03 AM »

Still at this? What are you lot like?

Let it go FFS!

Morning Stubborn Bloke.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 22, 2012, 09:49:24 AM »

Wow, there's a lot to read. But basically it looks like some are trying to argue cleanliness, well if it's that much of a concern, why don't you do as us dealer (or the clean ones) do and carry a small pocket sized cleaning gel, they're great, refresh your face nicely too.

Then we can all stop worrying about the state of the chips and cards, and as a deaer i've seen things done with dirty chips, putting them in the mouth is the worst, at least they get a bit cleaner there.

Card room clean your chips, new decks on a regular basis (when they get dirty they stick and make dealing a nightmare), players wash you hands and don't eat the chips, don't eat greasy food and play with chips, now we can all shakke hands and be friends. In the old days that worked, it's the car park where the hand shaking stops, and any ill will is dealt with surely, not the card room..

What do I get, no sleep at night.
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 22, 2012, 11:47:02 AM »

I don't find either of them offensive, never been bothered by a handshake no matter what stage it was at. Just find someone saying sorry a bit bizarre and usually insincere.

The other day I met a guy i knew at school id not seen for like 4 years. I told him it was "great to see him" in actual fact (no offence to him whatsoever he's a nice enough guy) I'd have been perfectly happy to never see or meet him ever again.

Is this insincere of me?

If it was genuinely great to see him then obv no, the two situations are totally different though.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2012, 12:15:06 PM »

Turns my stomach.

There are likely MORE germs on the chips & cards than on one individual's hand. Hand hand, I mean, the thing attached to his wrist, not his cards. Wink

It's starting to a bit.

I like to shake hands when I meet someone new, or bump into an aquantance.
I'll also happily shake hands with someone at the table.
I'll rarely offer it to someone I've just knocked out, but will sometimes offer it to someone who's knocked me out by clearly out playing me.

I certainly wont eat with my fingers while playing poker.
I used to not do that so as not to contaminate the chips / cards with my germs.
these days, it's the other way round.

Why is it so much effort to washyour hands when you've been to the toilet?

I don't mean you you, obviously Smiley
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 22, 2012, 12:27:25 PM »

When you get lucky against someone I think it just compounds the situation and adds more fuel to the fire of pain. Last Friday night I saw a Dtd reg quite embarrassed because he got lucky. Instead of saying  sorry he congratulated his opponent on well she had played and deserved better the way she played the hand. She just replied "yeah whatever" and flounced off

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: August 22, 2012, 12:30:59 PM »

When you get lucky against someone I think it just compounds the situation and adds more fuel to the fire of pain. Last Friday night I saw a Dtd reg quite embarrassed because he got lucky. Instead of saying  sorry he congratulated his opponent on well she had played and deserved better the way she played the hand. She just replied "yeah whatever" and flounced off

So he effectively said that he feels sorry for her situation. Nothing up with that, a sporting and gentlemanly gesture. She has every right to bemoan her luck, but she could always show a bit of class at the same time.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: August 22, 2012, 12:35:23 PM »

Turns my stomach.

It's starting to a bit.

I like to shake hands when I meet someone new, or bump into an aquantance.
I'll also happily shake hands with someone at the table.
I'll rarely offer it to someone I've just knocked out, but will sometimes offer it to someone who's knocked me out by clearly out playing me.

I certainly wont eat with my fingers while playing poker.
I used to not do that so as not to contaminate the chips / cards with my germs.
these days, it's the other way round.

Why is it so much effort to washyour hands when you've been to the toilet?

I don't mean you you, obviously Smiley

Thing is you can wash your hands after going to the loo, but you still have to touch the door handle, touch your chips and the cards and then shake someone's hand as they give you the proverbial rub-down. Your hands are instantly dirty again.

Maybe an alcohol gel dispenser on the outside of the toilets would be the most effective option?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 22, 2012, 12:45:56 PM »

Or if you are Luke Schwartz you have the balls to sit there rubbing your balls Smiley

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 22, 2012, 01:09:23 PM »

So he effectively said that he feels sorry for her situation. Nothing up with that, a sporting and gentlemanly gesture. She has every right to bemoan her luck, but she could always show a bit of class at the same time.

One of the first things I learnt about poker is you shouldn't be results orientated...yet itt I am reading how lots of players feel the need to apologise to other players for the result??

Just plain 'unlucky' is fine. But nah, I don't want anyone feeling sorry for my situation. My situation is I just lost a hand of poker and will just shrug it off like a big boy. I bet you would shrug it off like a big boy too. So if we both know the score why are we apologising to each other about the result? We both know the result of this single hand is inconsequential in the scheme of things and we have both been sucked out on many times. So in fact her reply 'yeah whatever' and flouncing off is just fine and normal behaviour.

I remember a guy apologising to me when his AK beat my JJ...yeah I suppose that was quite unlucky for me as it goes.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: August 22, 2012, 03:16:22 PM »

One of the first things I learnt about poker is you shouldn't be results orientated...yet itt I am reading how lots of players feel the need to apologise to other players for the result??

Just plain 'unlucky' is fine. But nah, I don't want anyone feeling sorry for my situation. My situation is I just lost a hand of poker and will just shrug it off like a big boy. I bet you would shrug it off like a big boy too. So if we both know the score why are we apologising to each other about the result? We both know the result of this single hand is inconsequential in the scheme of things and we have both been sucked out on many times. So in fact her reply 'yeah whatever' and flouncing off is just fine and normal behaviour.

I remember a guy apologising to me when his AK beat my JJ...yeah I suppose that was quite unlucky for me as it goes.

Sorry about empathising with others.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: August 22, 2012, 03:19:29 PM »

Sorry about empathising with others.

I know how you feel.

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: