blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:26:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272577 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  HAVING change in tournament poker
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HAVING change in tournament poker  (Read 8822 times)
Tommy Bingham

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2014, 02:52:53 PM »

Been referred to this thread from a post on facebook this morning as I was looking at putting up on here myself after this weekends Six Max.

I understand with multiple tournaments happening at once in the card room it may be sometimes difficult to just have chunks of change at the tables, but mistakes are being made by both players and dealers without a reasonable stack. But, there are mistakes being made because of inadequate chip amounts

With the new structure, we remove pre ante levels at start with antes straight away. We started with 8x25 chips and after folding the first orbit, I was already having to stick in a 100 chip or ask for change to meet to 50 ante. The main issue I have is that during the comp and in the past, there is atleast one instance a level where someone wasnt giving the correct change from the dealer or a mistake occurring.

1) Someone sticks in 100 don't get change and have to query it and ask for it back.
2) There is one ante short, or one ante too much and noone knows who it is. Spend a minute arguing over a 25chip even though everyone has 50,000.
This has a negative impact on both the dealers and players and also slows down the overall tempo of the table.

The second issue which is from a recreational player point of view, is that without the correct or variety of denominations within their stack, people arnt betting what they want.
Yes, probably the players fault, but majority of the time it is a confidence or image (Don't speak incase they give away a tell) reason for not verbally declaring the amount. They count there chips, relize they haven't got the right denominations for there required bet and insted of saying 725. They just stick in 800 or even 1000 etc.

The other issue from a recreational point of view is that when they cannot match someones bet, there is always an instance of someone accidentally raising by putting in several higher denominations when they only ment to call.

We all love a tower and I am one that does tell ruin to leave me alone when changing before they need to be changed, but it is mainly so I have enough chips to make bets on amounts I want to make.

More chips please! Smiley

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 03:00:26 PM by Tommy Bingham » Logged

Never folding... Bros just coming at us. We have a pair, if we're beat, we can always flop a set.
Tommy Bingham

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2014, 02:56:37 PM »

what was the problem this weekend?

50,000 starting and....

constructive feedback good!

Nothing wrong with starting amount (50k) or the structure in general.
It's just mainly as posted above, mistakes being made as a result of having a small amount of change.

Also, nothing worse in a massive pot when you bet a certain amount and the villian doesn't have correct change. Then dealer turns and asks you to fumble around to change it up for them.

EDIT.
PS. You know I am a proper fanboy of eveything DTD does, so in no way a moan or a grip at the 'new' structure at all. Just a small point that has been something I have said to various staff every weekend. Besides not having enough chips in the building to do it, feel it is something that can be easily introduced with no hassle. (besides Ryan counting more chips pre torney)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 02:59:05 PM by Tommy Bingham » Logged

Never folding... Bros just coming at us. We have a pair, if we're beat, we can always flop a set.
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2014, 02:59:54 PM »

I do love having lots of chips on a poker table (doesent happen often)

But i believe the more chips on the table in fact the slower it takes. If someone has no change it can sometime take 5-10 seconds to get that sorted but all the 5 seconds add up when there are hundreds of chips on a table. Most notably when someone goes all in and they have say 150 chips it can take a while to count all them out and then you will get people saying, so how much is that about 50 times. Whereas if they have say 10 chips they could have exactly the same amount as the person with 150 chips but its a lot clearer how much they have.

Even people who have played a lot struggle with having lots of chips whereas its quite easy to handle less chips.

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2014, 05:32:10 PM »

lots of change is  bad, quality dealers control the table such that they minimise the need for it, and if they have any competent professionals/regs at the table life can easily be made more smooth.  betting 725 or 700 BET 700 LIVE FFS it slows the game down and is literally pointless live. it's fun and w/e but it's much of a muchness and getting a few hands more in is so valuable.

these comps sound good with the new structure.
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2014, 05:37:05 PM »

lots of change is  bad, quality dealers control the table such that they minimise the need for it, and if they have any competent professionals/regs at the table life can easily be made more smooth.  betting 725 or 700 BET 700 LIVE FFS it slows the game down and is literally pointless live. it's fun and w/e but it's much of a muchness and getting a few hands more in is so valuable.

This btw. It's fun to bet silly amounts but pls stop.
Tommy Bingham

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2014, 07:56:50 PM »

As me mentioned the new structure is good. Not bad.
I totally take on board that LOTS of change is bad. Im not on about everyone starting with 3 tiers of 25/100 chips just so we can bet 'silly' amounts. It slows the game down more everyone asking for change everyhand. Aload of people insted of putting a 100 chip in for the 25 ante ask for change from the dealer or a person directly. Majority of the time the dealer waits for the change to be swapped before dealing. Or a player gives inadequate change amounts, ie. change 5k chip and you get 5x1k chips.

If there is not enough change in the pot to cover, surely something is 'slightly' out.
Had a chat with a few and always knew negative feedback would be giving on it. So thanks for actually giving a reply and not a 'shit idea, next' reply. Smiley
But if the correct bet in my mind is 725 i will bet 725. I wont bet 700 cus its easier, I should have the free option to do so.

Sulphur man

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2014, 12:45:18 AM »

I totally take on board that LOTS of change is bad. Im not on about everyone starting with 3 tiers of 25/100 chips just so we can bet 'silly' amounts. It slows the game down more everyone asking for change everyhand. Aload of people insted of putting a 100 chip in for the 25 ante ask for change from the dealer or a person directly. Majority of the time the dealer waits for the change to be swapped before dealing. Or a player gives inadequate change amounts, ie. change 5k chip and you get 5x1k chips.

If there is not enough change in the pot to cover, surely something is 'slightly' out.
Had a chat with a few and always knew negative feedback would be giving on it. So thanks for actually giving a reply and not a 'shit idea, next' reply. Smiley
But if the correct bet in my mind is 725 i will bet 725. I wont bet 700 cus its easier, I should have the free option to do so.

lots of change = lots of ££££££. Gratz on taking the 8Max down and hoggin so much of the change. Sick chip towers(or phallus as TK likes to call them) pics please.

I've never played any game, or done anything that was so powerful at making you believe that you 'owned' it... before making you realize that you actually don't.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2014, 06:57:31 AM »

lots of change = lots of ££££££. Gratz on taking the 8Max down and hoggin so much of the change. Sick chip towers(or phallus as TK likes to call them) pics please.

Very good!

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: