blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:30:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  How to fly Virgin Atlantic properly
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to fly Virgin Atlantic properly  (Read 27904 times)
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2012, 01:34:54 PM »

Virgin currently have a couple of very good promos, Booster and Buy Miles with bonus, which when used well with their current offer of a reward seat sale make for plenty of savings opportunities.

Miles Booster allows you to claim (or retro-claim) additional miles on flights based on miles flown.  So a return to Vegas (if you flew this summer just gone) you could retro-add what works out to be 22k miles for £328, or 11k miles for £171.  However, that should only be done to supplement miles that you have already bought, as the bonus on the Buy Miles makes that a better deal (you could currently buy 20k miles and get 4k bonus for £315) (some further examples below)

TheAce high

Random date selected in June 2013.  Econ = £800 P.E = £1280  Upper = £3600.  Benefits are that your cash fare will attract miles on the flight, and you don't have to muck about understanding the promos.

The One pair

Due to the Reward sale, you can fly from Mancs or LGW for 31,667 miles atm.  If you have some miles kicking around, great.  If you have zero miles, just buy them!  27,000 miles bought get a 5400mile bonus for £420, then you can snap-use those miles to buy an economy reward seat (+£350 tax)

If you have to buy all the miles, obv £420+350 = £770 and you may as well just pay £800 for the flight and earn miles on it.  But if you have most of those miles kicking around in your account expiring soon or whatever, then your flight cost tends closer towards £350.

The Straight

Fancy Premium? LV is 70k miles, but LA or SF is on sale at 46,667 miles (cheaper than normal miles for Vegas economy)  You can crunch the numbers, but if you fancy Premium at a discount, you could toy with a day in LA or SF (watch a ballgame etc) and catch a $cheap flight on SouthWest from there, or rent a car and enjoy the drive. (assuming you need to buy all the miles to LA/SF, £600 covers it, so not great value unless you had most of the miles already)

Quads
For those ballin but still just about in control, you can fly cheaper in Upper by a considerable margin.  50k miles to buy +12.5k bonus = £765.  Depending on how many miles you already had, you can buy more miles in Jan (new calendar year) or you could retro-add miles to your 2012 summer flight as above as needed.  Lets say you have ~20k miles in your account already, you can buy 62.5k for £765 and Boost 22k miles for £328.  Now you have enough for an Upper Reward fare, tax is about £480, so about £1500 to buy yourself a seat in Upper, pretty decent saving.

The Gatwick planes are still continuing the refits, but the majority should be in service by next Summer, but it is not out of the question if you run really badly (as we all do  Roll Eyes ) that you could end up with an old'un.  They have taken a couple of rows out of economy, so the pitch should in theory be better etc.

I still think (and the maths supports it ^^) that the best value/savings are to go Upper on a reward ticket.  If you max the points you earn year-round on the various promos/partners that attract miles, it isn't hard to do)  Paying £480 tax to fly in Upper seems like a good deal when your mates pay £1100 last minute to go in economy because they weren't organised.

During regular priced mode, 100k miles for Upper is waaay better value than 50k miles for economy.  However, atm with the sale fare being 31,667 for economy, there's nothing wrong with that either.

Obviously this assumes you have a flying club account.  And of course if you don't, I'd be happy to help you get one with bonus miles added to it!

Cotter1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 08:53:26 PM »

Many thanks for the info Simon.

Do you need to join the flying club or have a Virgin credit card or something to enjoy these benefits?
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 08:56:26 PM »

You need to join the flying club. You can do it yourself at no cost, or you could have someone (ahem..) refer you, in which case we would both get bonus miles.

jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 09:10:19 PM »

You need to join the flying club. You can do it yourself at no cost, or you could have someone (ahem..) refer you, in which case we would both get bonus miles.

Guess the question is what do i do with my 170k miles?

redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 09:18:14 PM »

Vegas for taxes only?

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
Cotter1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 09:31:24 PM »

No problem with you refering me, how do we go about it?
A few questions if that's ok?
How many bonus miles will I get if you refer me?
I booked with Virgin (maybe through Expedia), in the Summer, departed June 30th 2012. Will I get any retro points for this?
If I book for Vegas sometime this month, with a view to going next June, will I benefit or receive rewards?
How many miles a year do you need to earn for this to be worth doing? - was thinking of white card as no costs and could possibly spend upto £15k a year with holidays / work travel etc. included.
How do you get info regarding flights / points needed?

Cheers

Cotter.
jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 09:31:46 PM »

Vegas for taxes only?

x3...

just need the roll for the games.

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 09:58:50 PM »

Currently playing live, will write up a full answer in the morning, but in short, all your questions have positive/desirable outcomes

shipitonetime

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 10:41:19 PM »

Helpful guide ty
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 08:23:59 AM »

Upper Reward ticket to wherever you want to go imo for 100k + tax

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »

Putting up most of the answers ITT for transparency ~ it is all above board and all searchable with a couple of mouse clicks ~ it isn't like I won't help anyone that doesn't want to sign up through me, but I do appreciate those who have and am happy to help them get set up to max their rewards.  Obv the personal email stuff etc can go to PM.

No problem with you refering me, how do we go about it?

Send me a PM (same for anyone else) with the email address you would like to associate with your soon-to-be flying club account and I will send you a link for you to sink up on.

How many bonus miles will I get if you refer me?

1k if you fly in economy, 2k in Premium and 3k in Upper.  For completeness, I would also receive 2k if you flew in economy, 5k in Premium and 10k if you took Upper on your first flight.

I booked with Virgin (maybe through Expedia), in the Summer, departed June 30th 2012. Will I get any retro points for this?

Not automatically, but it is a simple process to claim them (you have up to 6 months from date of travel to do so)  For the terms of the referral, I have no idea if they will class that as your first flight or not.

If I book for Vegas sometime this month, with a view to going next June, will I benefit or receive rewards?

You will earn miles on the flight, depending on class of travel and your flying club level.  They won't be applied to your account until after you have flown.  Assuming red and economy, you will earn something like 5200 miles and 4 tier points, through to 15,600 miles and 10 tier points in Upper.

How many miles a year do you need to earn for this to be worth doing? - was thinking of white card as no costs and could possibly spend upto £15k a year with holidays / work travel etc. included.
How do you get info regarding flights / points needed?

As to what constitutes "worth doing" that is somewhat subjective.  The way I look at it, they award miles to me at no cost when I fly or when I use Virgin (or partner) services.  To me, it is a minimal amount of effort to open an account and accept the 'free' miles that they choose to give.

I have taken a few Upper Reward flights and a few economy reward flights using miles, as well as upgrading my economy ticket to Upper on the day using miles.  Miles+Money flights start at just 2000 miles, so definitely worth picking up the points.  I also have taken my own advice in OP, bought some miles, earned some miles and will be paying less to go in Upper than most will be paying to go in Economy.

If you want to make a little more effort to chase some miles, then the credit card is a good idea.  Please don't anyone take a credit card if they are likely to overspend on it, but assuming that isn't an issue, the white card gives:

1 Flying Club mile for every £1 spent on everyday card purchases
2 Flying Club miles for every £1 spent direct with Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Holidays
A Premium Economy reward upgrade on an Economy redemption when you spend £10,000 on your card in one year. You can earn up to 2 upgrades a year
A complimentary companion reward flight when you spend £15,000 on your card in a year (just pay the taxes and charges) when you purchase a full fare qualifying flight.
Exclusive offers from American Express Selects™

If anyone is considering the Virgin credit card, I can refer you for that as well and pick up bonus miles on your first purchase.  Again simply PM me and I will send a link to join up through ~ and am also happy to spend some time walking through the other methods that can maximise 'free' miles accumulation.

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 08:57:53 AM »

Go to hell for killing all them trees Smiley

Ah! The element of surprise
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 10:51:05 AM »

Vegas for taxes only?

x3...

just need the roll for the games.

Why not just go there n treat it as a holiday ? I now go and am quite happy to donk about in lower buy ins ,sit round the pool obv in better weather than now , see a couple of shows ,have a few beers ,get up n do it all again the next day
Rinse n repeat x7/10
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 12:01:20 PM »

With regards to this bit

A Premium Economy reward upgrade on an Economy redemption when you spend £10,000 on your card in one year. You can earn up to 2 upgrades a year
A complimentary companion reward flight when you spend £15,000 on your card in a year (just pay the taxes and charges) when you purchase a full fare qualifying flight.
Exclusive offers from American Express Selects™

Where abouts do you see these in your account?  All I can see is the option to buy a companion flight for approx 35,000 miles, nothing about a freebie.  Likewise with the PE upgrade, can't see anything about it.  Can you use this to upgrade for free when buying flights in normal economy with miles?

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 01:08:08 PM »

You can't see them in your account.. you just get an email from them shortly after you qualify for it.  They give you a special phone number to call, you have a date range in mind (not always going to be possible to land fixed dates) and you call them to book the economy reward seat with your voucher code which insta-turns it into a premium.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: