blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:45:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Victor Valdes
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Victor Valdes  (Read 2017 times)
Ant040689

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2013, 02:24:28 AM »

What do we think of him?

I am of the opinion he really isn't good enough to ever be considered one of the best goalkeepers, or maybe in the top 10 of those still playing, since he has been Barcelona's number one. Which begs the question why haven't Barca splashed out on a truly world class goalkeeper to complete the set.

Bring this up as his future is a little unknown currently and it may be the case that Barcalona are looking to sell.

I just find it odd a man of his standard has played for a team so good, for so long.

When you think about Iker Casillas though, there is no debate about if he is worthy of his position or not.
Skgv

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 02:34:46 AM »

The ball always at the other end of the pitch so it's a bit hard to judge him fairly as been inactive for long periods of the game has to be a negative factor in producing your best form! Suppose from a mangers point of view that can't be bad.
Josedinho

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 02:48:15 AM »

Always thought he was underrated. Not an out an out best goalkeeper for everybody but fits barcas style well.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 02:54:17 AM »

Always thought he was underrated. Not an out an out best goalkeeper for everybody but fits barcas style well.

A goalkeeper fitting a teams style? Only way I can see that is with great distribution and is he particularly good at this? Genuine question, I don't know.
Skgv

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 02:55:37 AM »

what kind of goalkeeper suits a team like Barc ? Can you really say a goalkeeper has to be offensive minded to suit Barc? Aren't goalkeepers there for defence only an can never really suit a team like Barc lol? Perhaps to make the Spanish league more open they should not be allowed one but play a sweeper instead!
Skgv

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 02:56:23 AM »

A goalkeeper fitting a teams style? Only way I can see that is with great distribution and is he particularly good at this? Genuine question, I don't know.
you beat me to the send button stressing my concerns to the above !
Josedinho

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 08:43:17 AM »

Basically yeh. Tends to make short passes and focuses on keeping possession rather than just thinking his responsibilities are defensive and hoofing it up field. Think it was in one of the Classico games last season where he was being chased down and most keepers smash it away. He chipped it over the attacker to alves and they countered and scored down the other end. I rate Krul as a keeper but don't see him as a Barca keeper but he fits in brilliantly at Newcastle.
Ricardov83

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 10:38:48 AM »

Valdes has the footballing ability to provide a passing option when defenders have the ball in tight areas. Not all keepers can do this effectively.

He has excellent concentration levels exemplified by some of the saves he makes when teams break away and he is alert enough to react accordingly.

Although not technically as proficient as others (casillas, neuer, hart, Buffon) he is perfectly suited to Barca's style and, because of this, I'd call him world class.
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 12:53:48 PM »

Good distribution, good with both feet, comfortable on the ball, cool under pressure. I can see why Barca like him.

He's not a great keeper though.
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 02:11:21 PM »

world class

simple
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 03:13:27 PM »

I think he is world class too. He may not stand out as being as flamboyant as  Some other keepers but Barcelona have a lot of faith. He has a remarkable number of clean sheets considering that Barcelona are all about attack. He is Barcelona through and through.

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: