blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:27:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  APAT MAIN DAY 2
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: APAT MAIN DAY 2  (Read 1358 times)
Junior Senior

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2013, 03:24:23 PM »

Early on in day 2. I have 22 bigs at 2k 4k a500. We are all in the cash and there is no real difference in prizes until 35 left. There are currently 55 left.

Villain in hand has 50 bigs. He has been fairly active so far with an open at least each round and a three bet last round which went unchallenged. I don't know him but he looks pretty competent and prepared to battle. I have folded every hand for 3 rounds.

He opens to 8.5k from UTG + 2

I have Pocket Tens and 3 bet to 19k in position from the HJ.

He thinks a few secs and flats.

Flop is Jack high with a pair of two's on board.

He checks, I bet 19k

He jams!!

I have 45k left, so 11 bigs.

WWYD? What's he got?
tight4better

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 03:26:52 PM »

Call.
TL900

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 03:33:12 PM »

jam pre, 15k/call flop

@MtSpewmore
Quote from: jgcblack
I wouldn't normally try so hard, but didn't have another opportunity I could wait for. I wasn't ready to surrender what I WANTED SO MUCH, that easily, I couldn't guarantee a call with me staying stoic and relying on a flinch "top pair" calling reflex.
PathFinder

@AWI_POKER

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 03:35:29 PM »

I would also call here, he certainly can shove flop with worse. 33-99 any flush draws if there was one (I'm guessing he didn't have this as you didn't mention any suits on flop)
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 03:37:16 PM »

No flush draws on board it was proper dry. J22

Is a jam pre profitable here? Does he call with worse?
TL900

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 03:45:15 PM »

yes, 99/AK/AQ maybe 88. Definitely profitable ainec. He will fold so often too which is fine.

When we 3bet and he flats we are just playing a bloated pot with a hand that flops and plays badly post. It comes J22 and we don't know what to do etc.

By the sounds of it though you were 3b/folding? In live poker my 3b range here is solely QQ+ people peel too much and we have horrible SPR post except when we have the top of our range, just jam all the marginal stuff 77-JJ AK etc imo.

@MtSpewmore
Quote from: jgcblack
I wouldn't normally try so hard, but didn't have another opportunity I could wait for. I wasn't ready to surrender what I WANTED SO MUCH, that easily, I couldn't guarantee a call with me staying stoic and relying on a flinch "top pair" calling reflex.
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 03:53:40 PM »

My initial read was he was trapping when he flatted the three bet and I wasn't sure I was ahead 100% if he jammed pre I may well have folded. I should have probably jammed tbh and thinking I should have called it off on the flop. It's close though and regretted being in that spot
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 03:59:41 PM »

jam pre, 15k/call flop

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
Nit Tendencies

Is this some kind of hilarious practical joke?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 08:04:30 PM »

In a live game i actually prefer the 3bet, because people peel way wider than you think and are idiots and might have a random aggressive moment and put you in.

On the flop, I think bet/tiny and decide. Live plums do c/ship random Jx hands here for some reason which I will never understand, but they do, so I'd just make a read based on how he is, how comfortable he looks, how quickly he jams etc. Just because, I don't think he c/ships his pairs between J and 2 as much as he calls them, but again, these live muffins do c/ship those hands too a certain % of the time (for "protection" or something).

I have been in this spot a few times over the last few years, always called and been shown a mixture of JT-AJ's and 33-TTs with a few completely random AQ, XX bluffs thrown in there too.

Overall I think call is pprobably best unless you have a read, because after all, you are getting a really good price, so it's pretty easy for folding to be a mistake and unless the guy is a total rock who only has Jx then it's pretty hard for this to be a losing b/call.

Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 08:28:58 PM »

I have thought about this hand a lot over this week and spoke to a few people including one person at the table at the time. On balance I probably should have called with all things considered especially given we were in the money and the cash didn't rise significantly for some few places. However more often than not I still think I get shown better hands than my 10-10.

Tough one. Reckon just shipping pre might be best overall

Thanks for the comments
Nit Tendencies

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 08:40:09 PM »

Tough one. Reckon just shipping pre might be best overall

Nah, i think you're just thinking that because you got put in a spot where you weren't sure what to do. Never be scared of not knowing what to do, part of being a top class poker player is giving yourselves the tools to work out in game what the best play is, and sometimes that means putting yourself in uncomfortable positions with the ultimate aim of finding extra value.

Anyone can learn a bunch of set patterns and scrape by, but that's not what the best players do, and they are who you should be aiming to become.

I like the small 3bet pre, I think we should ship the bottom of our range (77-99, KQ/KJss, AT-AJ) and 3bet the rest.

Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 09:05:24 PM »

Well I expected him to fold to my 3 bet as he had done that once previously to someone else so shown he was opening fairly wide and was happy folding to pressure.

When he flatted I initially thought he was trapping as expected him to 4bet shove anything but the top of range and rags. When he checked that flop it just felt that he was check folding so when he check raised it felt pre determined so felt he was springing the trap. The fact that I had played tight up to this point and didn't have the stack to be pissing about he must have known I was genuine which all lead me to think I was crushed. Only 3 hands I felt he could have had that I beat were 8-8, 9-9 and AQ but something about the hand made me fold.

with the size of pot and price I was getting I should have called though
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: