blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:45:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  TAKING IT FROM THE BOTTOM TO THE TOP (HOPEFULLY).
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TAKING IT FROM THE BOTTOM TO THE TOP (HOPEFULLY).  (Read 3230 times)
V.T.P
Probation

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2013, 08:03:01 PM »

I’ve always had a passion for poker, but my main passion has always been business I’ve always seen businesses and thought if the opportunity came along I could do that better. I always use to sit around in my local poker club analysing how things weren’t run properly, from their tournament schedule needing to be changed, to how the staff where rude and unhelpful. I thought I would love to have a go at running that club, I mean I’ve played more poker than anyone who regularly steps in that club, I’ve spoke to more poker players, and I’ve visited more poker clubs, so I feel I know what attracts a player.

This club I’m talking about was struggling to get a cash game off the ground even though there was plenty of cash players who frequented the club and there were plenty more that I felt I could attract. So I spoke to the manager and put my idea across, but saying we would make a few tweaks and the customer service would be a lot improved to what the players where use to receiving. He turned round and pretty quickly turned my idea down, which I thought was strange as he had nothing to lose.
Then I was speaking to one of my close friends, and he is one of the most agro players I know, so I knew people love to play with him. He suggested hosting the game at his girlfriend’s mum’s pub. We checked the pub out to be honest it was small and dingy and run down but it had enough space to fit two tables, and they where cramped, but even for all its down points it had a very homely feel. We decided try our best to provide the best service, but most importantly we would try fill our game with poker players who where players, not rocks but people who loved to gamble it up that way people would want to play in our games.

For four months our player base grew and grew and the games got better and better and regularly ran on for nearly 24 hours, I remember one night we had two tables full and we had to turn players away. Then, as we knew the pub was shutting down, as apart from us on a Thursday, there was only a handful of regulars who drunk in there.
So the next step, we had to find a new venue, a few people had expressed an interest in hosting, one stood out it was in what I believed was a great location, Il hold my hands up and say I jumped straight in at the deep end. Rather than thinking it through I saw my dream, rather than the new owners dream, his dream was riches, he wanted the world. This is when I should have stepped back and saw this isn’t a viable business opportunity, but instead in I dived straight in spending £3000 on new tables chips and posters. We had decided we were going to run one tournament night and one just cash night. We kicked off with our opening night on a Monday it was a £20 re entry with a 10k starting stack, it got 37 entry’s and 47 re entry’s and was what I would deem a success. But that evening we gave the owner his share of the profits, and he turned round and said I need better results boys. Straight away I knew I had made a mistake and had gone into partnership with a Muppet. On the Wednesday he spoke to us and said his business partner had thought they would be earning more money, I knew straight away it wasn’t going to work out so yet again we were on the lookout for a new venue.

The new venue, so I received a call on the following Monday from a gentleman who asked would we like to host our game there. We went and met him and soon realised he had a lovely venue, which was already set up for poker, but a very small player base compared to a venue of that size and stature warranted. So we have agreed to partner them in this new exciting venture to hopefully build the club into a fully functioning private members club offering games including pool, poker, snooker kalloki, backgammon. So this diary will be all about the trials and tribulations this will bring.
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 10:29:59 PM »

Good luck but there seems to be poker clubs shutting down all over the country at the minute due to either lack of funds or the police. What kinda licenses do you need for the stuff your doing? Can it be done under a pub license or not?

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
kano

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 01:26:07 AM »

Where are you based?

What is rake on MTTs/Cash?
V.T.P
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 03:32:19 AM »

Good luck but there seems to be poker clubs shutting down all over the country at the minute due to either lack of funds or the police. What kinda licenses do you need for the stuff your doing? Can it be done under a pub license or not?

Hello sir we have a club gaming permit, poker is only a small factor in what we are hoping to offer our members, we are hoping to bring them an all round experience and rather than just being a poker club it is also a social club where they can enjoy a variety of games and they frequent it on a social level aswell. The club is based literally 5 minutes walk from where i was brought up so hopefully i can attract alot of people just by knowing them, and letting them know what a great club it is.
V.T.P
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 03:39:13 AM »

Where are you based?

What is rake on MTTs/Cash?

To be honest sir, im not sure if i really want to say. I started this diary as more as a way to let my feelings out and to track the progress. Blonde is i believe sponserd by DTD and what they have done for the poker community is amazing so i wouldnt want to upset them in anyway.

Anway played poker this evening in one of the worse games ive ever played in full of absolute rocks won a little after getting it in with 58 on 5 8 10 and turned the 5 to apparently beat 10 8, what a life. Also paid for a piece of action i brought in a wsop bap, so i have this sweat to look forward to. If only blonde changed it so you could buy pieces in the market place with less than 300 posts i could do CHUNKS!
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 08:58:43 AM »

Take us through your business plan for the next 3-5 years

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: